Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Harsh

The Electronic Fireplace Thread

Last three hours of Breaking Bad are definitely the best TV I've ever watched. Bummed it's over next week.

Last three hours of Breaking Bad are definitely the best TV I've ever watched. Bummed it's over next week.

Breaking Bad has been phenomenal - all good things come to an end, and at least the writers have done an excellent job creating what looks to be (and has been up to this point) a very well written final season.

Which leads me into this - this final season of Dexter has been hot garbage IMO - in contrast to what I wrote above, it's clear to me the writers had no vision on how they would bring this show to an end which has resulted in a very sloppily written last season, it literally has gotten worse by every closing episode, which culminated into a horrible series finale (again, IMO). I'm pretty disappointed with how badly this was handled...

A couple other shows that are fantastic IMO that haven't been mentioned are two more Showtime series - Shameless & Homeland. I'd highly recommend both if your looking for some new shows to watch...

Breaking Bad ended without too many stunts, but that's exactly what I was hoping for: good pacing and closure. Say goodbye to one of the best characters TV has ever seen...

BB_400-1.gif

So is Breaking Bad really that good? Ive never seen a single episode.

Yes. I'm a TV Show junkie to put it lightly - this is definitely up there for best TV Shows I've ever seen.

The only criticism I've ever heard about this show, and it's somewhat true, is that after the first couple episodes (which definitely pull you right in), the middle section of the first season is pretty slow, hard to watch for some - but it's all mainly character development.

189.gif

It's top 3 all time for me.

Anyone watching True Detective? Jury's still out, but it may go down as one of the best shows to ever air. Woody Harrelson and Matthew "the Renaissance Man" McConaughey are killing it so far.

Tonight's episode was intense! That long take to finish it off is excellent. Nice to see Cuaron isn't the only director to bring such an immersive filmmaking technique into the spotlight.

Anyone watching True Detective? Jury's still out, but it may go down as one of the best shows to ever air. Woody Harrelson and Matthew "the Renaissance Man" McConaughey are killing it so far.

Tonight's episode was intense! That long take to finish it off is excellent. Nice to see Cuaron isn't the only director to bring such an immersive filmmaking technique into the spotlight.

I just caught up on TD. I haven't been this excited about a show (is it really a show or a mini-series?) since Deadwood. 5 episodes in and it's F'n amazing. The McConaissance is very real. He's finally living up to his immense potential that he flashed early on and then taking it to entirely different level. The writing is very strong but the delivery along with his physical choices (his gait with no arm swing, 2 octaves deeper than normal, his darting eyes, etc) take his monologues to an extra level. If you watch some of the recaps or read some interviews, the writer indicates that MM had very specific things he wanted to do with the character to create him and a lot of the idiosyncrasies of Kohle are all MM's. It's amazing stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins another GG next year if they don't forget about the show at awards season. Harrelson is every bit his counter point. A man who's life is a lie and crumpling but keeps going because it's all he knows. All he can do. It's truly.....can't miss TV.

T Bone is killing the score too.....

I really like Portlandia. It's not the best show of all time or anything, but they really have certain aspects of our culture down cold. Hipsters, yuppies, aging hippies, self righteous liberals (and I say that as a liberal), even punk rockers. If you are, or know people who fit into those kinds of categories, it's really funny and charming.

True Detective is amazing. I haven't enjoyed a series as much as this one in a long time.

I was so hyped up for True Detective, and it's been amazing - I can't believe there's only 1 episode left for not only this season, but for both McConaughey & Harrelson as character's on the show (they've been fantastic). I can't wait for the finale next week, each episode keeps getting better.

BTW, I mentioned this to my league-mates - but if people are looking for a new show to watch with Breaking Bad done, True Detective et. al finishing up (GoT & winding down Walking Dead S4 are the main things to look forward to in April), I highly recommend Banshee - as an ultra-violent, adults-only series. And no, it's not based on the lame Marvel character (LOL). And yes, it's from Skinemax - but in this case, it's the one good series they've made, well, ever. The characters are actually much deeper than you'd see in a typical action series, and the serial story is actually a great adrenaline rush for both S1 & S2, and has you rooting for multiple characters. Imagine Frank Miller type visuals, but way better character writing & acting. And yeah, that sheriff is one bad dude. :lol:

If you do decide to watch, 1.01 is very good - 1.02 is the worst show of the entire 2 seasons so far - but 1.03 second half of the series has to be hands-down the best hand-to-hand fight scene ever made, and by the end you realize just how different a show this is from anything you will see on TV nowadays. I will say 1.03's fight scene is the best H2H fight scene I've seen on TV....until later in the season (no spoilers, people who watch know exactly what I'm referring to).

And again, it's not just the non-stop action, and the skin, it's that the acting is actually very good for the top 5 characters (they feature two black hats, 1 with a lot of layers, and likeable many episodes, which is refreshing) - and frankly, while True Detective, Breaking Bad, Justified & Walking Dead are my clear top 4, Banshee's relentless action and surprising depth and story arcs have hooked me to make it must-watch, although not on that tier, but clearly must-see TV <helped by 10-episode seasons - you just don't see that much filler in that format>, it really has me hooked. Strongly recommended - but as it's arc driven, start with 1.01 to the present (2.10 next week, woohoo!).

MAJOR WARNING - you cannot watch this with kids around. And you have to have a HUGE tolerance for some GRUESOME hand-to-hand violence. If you can't handle that, then no, it won't be for you. But again, it actually fits into the storyline (even the skin scenes do fit with the characters, not the usual Skinemax angle LOL). Out of the people I know who watch, 1/3 of them are women, who all would rather watch the Notebook (wife included) - but live with the violence, because the rest is so good.

If you don't believe me - http://www.rottentom...com/tv/banshee/ & http://www.imdb.com/...9/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (read the user reviews on both <the ones who trash it mostly hate the skin/violence, which again, if you cannot tolerate, then disregard>, critics on RT).

Best part - Season 1 is on Netflix, so check it out!

Bates Motel has been really good so far this season and the first season is up in Netflix.

Man - I really need to start watching True Detective...will get on that soon

Hannibal continues to distinguish itself as one of the very best shows on television...

original.jpg

Hannibal continues to distinguish itself as one of the very best shows on television...

Yup, it's been fantastic. I love the cinematic style as far as presentation in many scenes - reminds me of Dexter.

Yup, it's been fantastic. I love the cinematic style as far as presentation in many scenes - reminds me of Dexter.

The opening credits reminded me of Dexter when i began watching the show. It is sooooo good right now. The deaths are gruesome and the serial killers are crazy! Definitely a joy to watch thus far.

Is Hannibal on Netflix?

Nope. I think they have an exclusive deal with amazon.

original.jpg

It's a great show with some outstanding performances. It's pretty amazing how they get so much graphic brutality in, but it's fairly tasteful. When that guy tore himself away from the larger corpse mural, I felt the sting. Ouch. It's most likely not going to get renewed on NBC (still a small hope), but b/c it's financed largely with overseas money, it should find a home for season 3 no matter what happens (Netflix? Amazon Prime? A&E?). Mads just kills it in the role.

One interesting tidbit I read for the TD fans out there. HBO decided to submit it for 'Best TV Drama Series' instead of mini-series. A mistake for the show, but HBO probably wanted to garner more mainstream nominations. Breaking Bad vs TD???

I can't speak to a comparison, as I've never seen True Detective but Ozymandias was the best hour of TV I've ever seen. Gonna be tough to beat that.

BTW, I mentioned this to my league-mates - but if people are looking for a new show to watch with Breaking Bad done, True Detective et. al finishing up (GoT & winding down Walking Dead S4 are the main things to look forward to in April), I highly recommend Banshee - as an ultra-violent, adults-only series. And no, it's not based on the lame Marvel character (LOL). And yes, it's from Skinemax - but in this case, it's the one good series they've made, well, ever. The characters are actually much deeper than you'd see in a typical action series, and the serial story is actually a great adrenaline rush for both S1 & S2, and has you rooting for multiple characters. Imagine Frank Miller type visuals, but way better character writing & acting. And yeah, that sheriff is one bad dude. :lol:

If you do decide to watch, 1.01 is very good - 1.02 is the worst show of the entire 2 seasons so far - but 1.03 second half of the series has to be hands-down the best hand-to-hand fight scene ever made, and by the end you realize just how different a show this is from anything you will see on TV nowadays. I will say 1.03's fight scene is the best H2H fight scene I've seen on TV....until later in the season (no spoilers, people who watch know exactly what I'm referring to).

And again, it's not just the non-stop action, and the skin, it's that the acting is actually very good for the top 5 characters (they feature two black hats, 1 with a lot of layers, and likeable many episodes, which is refreshing) - and frankly, while True Detective, Breaking Bad, Justified & Walking Dead are my clear top 4, Banshee's relentless action and surprising depth and story arcs have hooked me to make it must-watch, although not on that tier, but clearly must-see TV <helped by 10-episode seasons - you just don't see that much filler in that format>, it really has me hooked. Strongly recommended - but as it's arc driven, start with 1.01 to the present (2.10 next week, woohoo!).

MAJOR WARNING - you cannot watch this with kids around. And you have to have a HUGE tolerance for some GRUESOME hand-to-hand violence. If you can't handle that, then no, it won't be for you. But again, it actually fits into the storyline (even the skin scenes do fit with the characters, not the usual Skinemax angle LOL). Out of the people I know who watch, 1/3 of them are women, who all would rather watch the Notebook (wife included) - but live with the violence, because the rest is so good.

If you don't believe me - http://www.rottentom...com/tv/banshee/ & http://www.imdb.com/...9/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (read the user reviews on both <the ones who trash it mostly hate the skin/violence, which again, if you cannot tolerate, then disregard>, critics on RT).

Best part - Season 1 is on Netflix, so check it out!

Good call! I started watching Banshee a couple weeks ago - I'm halfway through the 2nd season and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. You described it perfectly. It's definitely a different show than anything I've ever seen (style-wise), but the characters are great, especially Ulrich Thomsen (the actor who plays Kai Proctor) - I don't think I've really seen him in anything else, but he's killing his role in Banshee...

I'd just like to put in a plug for 'Vikings' on the History Channel. It revolves the mythology of a real life Viking, Ragnof Lothbrok, and his rise to leader of his people and raiding of the English and French. The first season was pretty good, but a bit inconsistent in it's narrative as it stuck with some arcs too long. This year, it's a stripped down mean machine. It's really good stuff as long as you can take it as almost all fiction and embrace the anti-hero.....

vikings.jpg