Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Harsh

The Electronic Fireplace Thread

I'd just like to put in a plug for 'Vikings' on the History Channel. It revolves the mythology of a real life Viking, Ragnof Lothbrok, and his rise to leader of his people and raiding of the English and French. The first season was pretty good, but a bit inconsistent in it's narrative as it stuck with some arcs too long. This year, it's a stripped down mean machine. It's really good stuff as long as you can take it as almost all fiction and embrace the anti-hero.....

vikings.jpg

I've been meaning to watch that.

Shows that I keep up with:

The Walking Dead

Falling Skies

House of Cards

The Amazing Race

The Neighbors (funniest show on TV)

Agents of SHIELD (really picking up and it followed the recent Captain America movie)

Revolution (not a great show, but I'm invested in it and want to see how it turns out)

Intelligence

Anyone watching Fargo? It's really good.

I've really enjoyed Fargo so far, and also, the new show on HBO "Silicon Valley" is excellent. I'd highly recommend both new shows...

I've really enjoyed Fargo so far, and also, the new show on HBO "Silicon Valley" is excellent. I'd highly recommend both new shows...

Do you get a King of the Hill vibe from it? That would instantly put it on top of my to-watch list. :D

Do you get a King of the Hill vibe from it? That would instantly put it on top of my to-watch list. :D

No. The characters are no way near as funny as KotH either. I watched the first 4 episodes and, although it has its moments it isnt my type of show. You should give it a shot though.

Vikings just ended it's very good season 2. History channel, it may be on PPV though. I recommend it if you like some raiding and looting....

Anyone Valor Murhulis, bro's???? Had to love the Purple Wedding a few weeks ago.

The first two episodes of Louie are HILARIOUS. Season 3 looks like it might be the best in terms of laughs.

No love for Suits on here?!? I know it can't really be compared to thriller/drama types, but in terms of enjoyment, I think it has become my favourite show, ever. I'm not a huge TV show wh*re, but I've really loved and finished Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire, The League, and True Detective (probably my least favourite of the bunch; i liked the show but don't understand the over-the-top reviews).

Anyway I'd stack Suits up against any of those shows. It's very well written, amazing and witty dialogue, clever plots, top shelf acting (aside from Rachel but she's not a main character and is ridiculously hot..) and you can learn some great life lessons from it as well! haha. But seriously, watch the very first pilot episode of Season 1 and I promise you, you'll be hooked!

I'll say that it's not an HBO type show with nudity and violence etc..

No love for Suits on here?!? I know it can't really be compared to thriller/drama types, but in terms of enjoyment, I think it has become my favourite show, ever. I'm not a huge TV show wh*re, but I've really loved and finished Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire, The League, and True Detective (probably my least favourite of the bunch; i liked the show but don't understand the over-the-top reviews).

Anyway I'd stack Suits up against any of those shows. It's very well written, amazing and witty dialogue, clever plots, top shelf acting (aside from Rachel but she's not a main character and is ridiculously hot..) and you can learn some great life lessons from it as well! haha. But seriously, watch the very first pilot episode of Season 1 and I promise you, you'll be hooked!

I'll say that it's not an HBO type show with nudity and violence etc..

Suits is fantastic, I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread when the series premiered. I'm a huge fan.

Currently watching Quick Pitch on MLB Network.

Heidi's dress really accentuates...something

So who had their hopes crushed while watching the newest Game of Thrones? :lol:

tumblr_lpoplxPXkV1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Not sure how any avid watcher of the show could have been surprised......

Has the show hurt you too much? Just assuming the worst at all times now? :P

Not sure how any avid watcher of the show could have been surprised......

Has the show hurt you too much? Just assuming the worst at all times now? :P

Nope. Love it, but GRRM is the ultimate troll and the whole "no one is safe" schtick is now easily understood.....Was it that hard to figure out when The Viper wouldn't finish him? B movie stuff.

Nope. Love it, but GRRM is the ultimate troll and the whole "no one is safe" schtick is now easily understood.....Was it that hard to figure out when The Viper wouldn't finish him? B movie stuff.

Well, to be fair, the Viper's intentions were clear from the moment he arrived in King's Landing (declaring war against Tywin Lannister for the orders he gave), and it was in-character for him to toy with his food. It happens very similarly in the book, albeit less predictably (chalk it up to the trappings of visual suspense and pacing, IMO). Still, GRRM was a small-time writer in Hollywood once upon a time, so you're not far off...

I think you'll enjoy the next two episodes. You may find some new characters to root for. :)

Well, to be fair, the Viper's intentions were clear from the moment he arrived in King's Landing (declaring war against Tywin Lannister for the orders he gave), and it was in-character for him to toy with his food. It happens very similarly in the book, albeit less predictably (chalk it up to the trappings of visual suspense and pacing, IMO). Still, GRRM was a small-time writer in Hollywood once upon a time, so you're not far off...

I think you'll enjoy the next two episodes. You may find some new characters to root for. :)

Meh. It was B slasher movie type stuff. You want to play with your food? Cool, take his sword and cut off his hands and then question him. It just was pretty cheesy and Martin tipped his hand (or the show producers) very early. And he fell for the Fatal Attraction final bad guy lunge? Hilarious. I enjoyed much of the scene though as the choreography was outstanding.

And I enjoy most of the characters. Tywin's one of my favorites and I'm not sure folks would call him a "good guy". Same with the Hound or Jaime. Not really guys to root for. Side note, I cracked up when Arya starting laughing at the Hound finding out that Lysa had died. That was hilarious. Looking forward to the Battle at the Wall next episode.

Meh. It was B slasher movie type stuff. You want to play with your food? Cool, take his sword and cut off his hands and then question him. It just was pretty cheesy and Martin tipped his hand (or the show producers) very early. And he fell for the Fatal Attraction final bad guy lunge? Hilarious. I enjoyed much of the scene though as the choreography was outstanding.

And I enjoy most of the characters. Tywin's one of my favorites and I'm not sure folks would call him a "good guy". Same with the Hound or Jaime. Not really guys to root for. Side note, I cracked up when Arya starting laughing at the Hound finding out that Lysa had died. That was hilarious. Looking forward to the Battle at the Wall next episode.

I was thinking that, too, although it was more of a "pin his hands down with two spears" train of thought. That's hindsight bias, though, since I've read the books. I have to say, the fight (as all of Martin's fights are) is brilliantly executed in the source material. Given the much vaster world, the "no one is safe" vibe doesn't feel like a copout. If you have the time, I would recommend giving the literature a shot.

With that said, Internet chatter makes it seem as if a large portion of the fanbase views this as more shocking/crushing than the Red Wedding.

I always like watching reaction vids for GoT. This one is pretty funny:

The dude laying on the couch (the last clip) had the best reactions. :lol:

Tywin is the consummate politician. I love Dance's "regal voice." What do you think of his political maneuvering in comparison to Varys, Littlefinger, Olenna (Margaery's grandmother)?

I wish they expanded on the Hound's story a little more, although there's still time to flesh him out. Currently, he seems to be a means to an end to advance Arya's storyline, but he's much more than that, IMO.

Unfortunately, they didn't do justice to my favorite chapter (thus far) in ASOIAF: Jaime perusing the White Book. As he reads through the past glories of the Kingsguard, fondly remembering his own cherished moments with certain legends, the reader observes a change in his mindset. Upon flipping to his own page, Jaime realizes there is still a lot of story to his life left to tell, and that's when his redemption arc really takes off. GRRM isn't gifted in prose (don't get me wrong, he obviously has other strengths), but that chapter couldn't have been written better. Most of it is thought process/nonverbal, though, so it's understandably hard to translate to screen.

The Wall should be a good one. Apparently it's being directed by the same guy who did "Blackwater," so I'd bet on most of the episode--if not all of it--being dedicated to the Wall.

That episode was really good. I agree with you harsh RRM isnt the most gifted prose writer. I also agree with Bateman that killing the red viper was some real B Movie stuff.

Very good season, the last two episodes will be great!

That episode was really good. I agree with you harsh RRM isnt the most gifted prose writer. I also agree with Bateman that killing the red viper was some real B Movie stuff.

Very good season, the last two episodes will be great!

I am not but i disagree with you about this season being good. I mean yea alot of prospect coming up.. like sansa turning evil, Arya growing big, Bryan getting close...

I loved the last episode....

HODOR!!!!

Cant wait for the season finale...

Jon Snow is a beast man!!!

BTW, I mentioned this to my league-mates - but if people are looking for a new show to watch with Breaking Bad done, True Detective et. al finishing up (GoT & winding down Walking Dead S4 are the main things to look forward to in April), I highly recommend Banshee - as an ultra-violent, adults-only series. And no, it's not based on the lame Marvel character (LOL). And yes, it's from Skinemax - but in this case, it's the one good series they've made, well, ever. The characters are actually much deeper than you'd see in a typical action series, and the serial story is actually a great adrenaline rush for both S1 & S2, and has you rooting for multiple characters. Imagine Frank Miller type visuals, but way better character writing & acting. And yeah, that sheriff is one bad dude. :lol:

If you do decide to watch, 1.01 is very good - 1.02 is the worst show of the entire 2 seasons so far - but 1.03 second half of the series has to be hands-down the best hand-to-hand fight scene ever made, and by the end you realize just how different a show this is from anything you will see on TV nowadays. I will say 1.03's fight scene is the best H2H fight scene I've seen on TV....until later in the season (no spoilers, people who watch know exactly what I'm referring to).

And again, it's not just the non-stop action, and the skin, it's that the acting is actually very good for the top 5 characters (they feature two black hats, 1 with a lot of layers, and likeable many episodes, which is refreshing) - and frankly, while True Detective, Breaking Bad, Justified & Walking Dead are my clear top 4, Banshee's relentless action and surprising depth and story arcs have hooked me to make it must-watch, although not on that tier, but clearly must-see TV <helped by 10-episode seasons - you just don't see that much filler in that format>, it really has me hooked. Strongly recommended - but as it's arc driven, start with 1.01 to the present (2.10 next week, woohoo!).

MAJOR WARNING - you cannot watch this with kids around. And you have to have a HUGE tolerance for some GRUESOME hand-to-hand violence. If you can't handle that, then no, it won't be for you. But again, it actually fits into the storyline (even the skin scenes do fit with the characters, not the usual Skinemax angle LOL). Out of the people I know who watch, 1/3 of them are women, who all would rather watch the Notebook (wife included) - but live with the violence, because the rest is so good.

If you don't believe me - http://www.rottentom...com/tv/banshee/ & http://www.imdb.com/...9/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (read the user reviews on both <the ones who trash it mostly hate the skin/violence, which again, if you cannot tolerate, then disregard>, critics on RT).

Best part - Season 1 is on Netflix, so check it out!

Good call! I started watching Banshee a couple weeks ago - I'm halfway through the 2nd season and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. You described it perfectly. It's definitely a different show than anything I've ever seen (style-wise), but the characters are great, especially Ulrich Thomsen (the actor who plays Kai Proctor) - I don't think I've really seen him in anything else, but he's killing his role in Banshee...

I'm going to say it again - Banshee is must-see TV (but you really need to start from Season 1 - make it through to 1.03's second half, and you should be hooked - as long as you can tolerate gruesome action scenes, and skin). Yes, it's from Cinemax, but it's the one good series they've created. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Banshee's Season 3 has pretty much been one entire adrenaline rush of amazing ep after amazing ep, culminating to 3.05 this week - pulp storyline original premise, but it works. Amazing character development, and just great performances from Ulrich Thompson, Anthony Starr, Ivana Milicevic, Trieste Kelly Dunn, Lili Simmons (you'll recognize her from True Detective), as well as the supporting cast. Add in the biggest bad-a** around (added to Proctor), well, it will have you hooked (easy with the 10-ep seasons, classic binge TV watching). IIRC, both Season 1 & 2 are Netflix-viewable, don't miss out if you have it. If you don't believe me, believe others...

http://www.soundonsight.org/how-banshee-became-one-of-televisions-best-series/

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-too-much-is-just-right-for-banshee-season-3

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/diversions/article_06339db0-99cb-11e4-9e2e-7b8e92df7ee9.html

Just finished Peaky Blinders on Netflix. So good. Definitely worth a watch.

American Crime is awesome, but i think it's getting cancelled.