Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ginocan

Brandon Roy 2012-2013 Season Outlook

98 posts in this topic

Jason Quick of the Oregonian reported Thursday that Brandon Roy has agreed to a two-year, $10.4 million deal with the Wolves.

If Roy's knee is miraculously rehabbed it will be a heart-warming story, but fans and fantasy owners alike should expect the worst and hope for the best. A 10-15 minute role off the bench is probably perfect, but this offer suggests that the Wolves think he can contribute much, much more. They may be completely crazy, but that's what they did. If we sense that he's going to be given a heavier load, we might give him more fantasy attention but for now he's hands off.

I haven't rooted for a player to come back from a significant injury this much since Yao. Hopefully he can stays healthy enough to be around even as a role player.

Can't wait to watch the Wolves next season. Love Ricky Rubio, Klove, Rick Adelman brand of basketball. And now Roy attempting to make his comeback. If somehow they could get Kevmart to play under Adelman again.

With Beasley gone, Roy will start. It's no way that you can keep a guy with that much firepower on the bench when you have no other capable SGs or SFs. Hopefully his knees will hold up because he's looking at a ton of minutes next year.

Roy is likely to still be limited physically. The jury is out and it's questionable if he can play starters mins.

With Beasley gone, Roy will start. It's no way that you can keep a guy with that much firepower on the bench when you have no other capable SGs or SFs. Hopefully his knees will hold up because he's looking at a ton of minutes next year.

No way he can play more than 15MPG over the course of an 82 game season from what we saw in the last few years...MIN is taking a bit of a gamble on this new German-knee therapy that he can even get back to being a consistent rotational player let alone someone who can start and play more than 25MPG.

I think MIN is hoping for 20MPG out of Roy at a serviceable level - probably as an off the bench scorer/playmaker. Not a bad deal for 5mil/yr if Roy's knees can hold up.

1 person likes this

Didn't a doctor say that Roy's career was definitely over and his knees literally had no cartilage? I don't see how pumping some blood through the knees is going to fix the problem of bone rubbing against bone.... I think if there was any way he could be even a shadow of his former self, Portland would have exhausted that option.

Didn't a doctor say that Roy's career was definitely over and his knees literally had no cartilage? I don't see how pumping some blood through the knees is going to fix the problem of bone rubbing against bone.... I think if there was any way he could be even a shadow of his former self, Portland would have exhausted that option.

Yea I agree, I can't believe how much interest he was drawing this summer...seemed the best case scenario was he could play 20 minutes a few games in a row, then rest a few games, rinse & repeat; and then throw in a knee draining every 3 weeks followed by resting for a couple weeks...I'm sure what has really changed here unless he had some miraculous medical procedure to fix his non-existent knees...

I'm rooting for the guy, just don't see anything different happening...

Actually it's quite the opposite, the Dr. that said this is one of the same Dr.s that completely screwed up the whole Greg Oden thing. I'll try to find the article to link here (I found one written by a professinoal kinesologist HERE (spelling?? haha) but I'll keep looking for the original) but there is one out there about basically how Portland has BY FAR the worst medical staff in the league who are there mostly through nepotism and favors and that if handled differently Roy & Oden could very well be healthy and playing today if they were somewhere like Phoenix or LA with a renowned staff. Just something to think about, during that year+ maybe Roy got the treatment he needed....

2 people like this

If Roy has any fantasy value this year, it's going to take a while for him to get there. I think they bring him along very slowly unless he shows miraculous progress in training camp and the preseason.

Normally, players don't just retire from a specific injury and then miraculously return 6 months later.

If he somehow manages to make it through an entire season - this new platelet knee treatment thing is going to blow up.

The fact that David Kahn and TWolves were the main party interested doesn't bode well for Roy I don't think.

but there is one out there about basically how Portland has BY FAR the worst medical staff in the league who are there mostly through nepotism and favors and that if handled differently Roy & Oden could very well be healthy and playing today if they were somewhere like Phoenix or LA with a renowned staff.

I would like to see that article. It could be bad luck for Portland but there's just no way that med staff is doing a good job and I don't want to hear anyone defend them. I'm also wondering if Batum's bad feelings about Portland have something to do with them as well...

Aside from his questionable knee-health, there's also the possibility of the T'Wolves being logjammed with swingmen. Which could kill Roy's value even more.

We'll have to see who the Wolves acquire.

I love Roy, but I don't have high expectations for him at all. I think it's just a moral victory for him to play again. For that, I'm happy.

if roy is mostly still there, he can easily earn the lion's share of minutes at one of the swing spots over minny's assortment of mediocre swing players. just can't really trust him physically til i see him out there getting it done for at least a few games

I'm so glad to see Brandon Roy back. He's always been one of my favorites to root for. I'd tears in my eyes during that memorable Game 4 against the Mavs in 2011. I just hope he comes back as someone who can play like the Brandon Roy of old but in short spurts. This is a huge boost for Minnesota. To potentially have this type of playmaker and closer for only 5 mil a year is well worth the risk. In his prime he was one of the elite finshers and playmakers in closing situations in all of the NBA. I hope he can somewhat rekindle that.

1 person likes this

Looks like he may be the starting sg now that Wes Johnson has been shipped out.

Looks like he may be the starting sg now that Wes Johnson has been shipped out.

Forgot about budinger and I cant see them going with rubio (when healthy) and ridnour. will be interesting to see tho

I just started a Minnesota thread bc they have so much player movement, but the depth chart will be imo:

PG - Rubio/Ridnour/Shved

SG - Roy/Barea/Lee

SF - Kirilenko(Johnson)/Budinger/Hummel

PF - Love/Williams/Cunningham

C - Pekovic/Stiemsma

I'm very interested in this team fantasy wise, bc I think Roy & AK47 could have some real value. I am not counting on it, but I'm also not counting out Roy playing solid minutes (30/gm??) if the year off & the orthokine therapy indeed did help. Also, being treated by a medical team besides the infamously horrible Portland staff couldn't have hurt either - just ask Oden. AK47 on the other hand is intriguing bc it seems he got his confidence back in CSKA, but I won't go into that here on the Roy thread.

Also, thanks to elrey for posting that video, I also watched the Dallas come back, wow I don't know which is my favorite. Roy really was one of my favorite players, as are Love, Rubio, & Kirilenko. I'm really excited to see how this Minnesota team pans out!!

Anyone think Roy could be more of a backup PG/SG? He will never have the quickness or the hops, but he has the brains and ability to change his game. Love the guy, but to extend his career, I wonder if the model is a guy like Kidd. Still playing at an All-Star level after microfracture, by using his hoops IQ. Roy is a great facilitator. A 20 minute backup PG/SG role is what I'm thinking. No slashing.

2 people like this

Anybody watch the game tonight?

Roy's numbers look good on the box score but how did he move around the court?

One of my favorite players ever and one of the best human beings you'll find playing a sport. I hope and pray that he can stay on the court and be an asset to the wolves.

1 person likes this

Can't see the game or even hear it locally. It is in Fargo, which is about 3-4 hours up I-94. Can't believe there is no coverage.

They have tvs in Fargo? :lol:

Can't see the game or even hear it locally. It is in Fargo, which is about 3-4 hours up I-94. Can't believe there is no coverage.

Kind of surprised how the Wolves are managing minutes for this game. Looks like minutes for a regular season game. Roy is playing just a bit less than the other regulars.

I would've thought the wolves would really want to ease Roy back into games by playing him 15-20 minutes a game at first, but he's already at 24 minutes w/ 7 minutes left in the game.

Looking good ... If roy can be 90 percent of his former self he still is a all star Eveything is pointing in the right direction ..

Like many of us, Roy's injury crippled my long standing keeper team for a while. I took him this season late in my draft hoping it was his destiny to come back ALA Roy Hobbs and make up for the mess he created .. maybe help lead my franchise back in the right direction lol. Really have my fingers crossed with him.

I can't think of a better last round pick if he's still available. How many times do you get to pick a perrenial all-star only a few years removed from their glory in the last round?? I know he's falling to the last round for a reason, but we know what he can do if healthy and is really much worse than picking Byron Mullens or Carlos Delfino haha?? Also, not sure how many of you checked it out, but take a look at the article I linked in my previous Brandon Roy post in July and you'll see that as bad as his knees are he never should've been forced to retire if he had a competent medical staff managing his injuries.