megamoviejohn

Prestige Worldwide - Dynasty Football

-I think year to year the waiver order should be the opposite of the draft (rookie) order to start off the year. It's pretty standard in dynasty leagues to be set up that way and seems the most fair to me. It is also easier to track for the commish

-I don't think we should be trading waiver wire spots/FAAB$ (whatever that is)

-I think year to year the waiver order should be the opposite of the draft (rookie) order to start off the year. It's pretty standard in dynasty leagues to be set up that way and seems the most fair to me. It is also easier to track for the commish

I think that's just one more way of reducing the inherent skill / choices / options in a dynasty league. Dynasty leagues are all about roster management, essentially. Deciding which players you want to keep for the long haul, deciding when you're in win-now mode.

I don't see why a team should be forced to use their high Waiver claim just because the season is almost over.

If I have the #1 Waiver Claim, I'm going to be looking for an "A" grade player.

It may have taken me all season just to reach the #1 Waiver Claim.

It's completely unfair to force me to spend it on a player that I might only grade as a "C" grade player, or lose it entirely, just because the season is ending.

I could see not wanting FAAB $ (if we were to use a FAAB system) to roll over as that has a lot more repercussions to go along with it, the biggest one being a team hording FAAB $ for a couple of seasons and then completely unbalancing the value of the $ in the league - basically, screwing the FAAB economy for the entire league.

But Waiver Priority and FAAB $ work on pretty different mechanics.

Example:

In a 12-team league, let's use two hypothetical leagues. League#1 and League#2.

League#1 uses a FAAB $ system that, any FAAB $ you didn't use from the previous season rolls over into the next one.

Team#1 in that league decides to get really tricky. He saves all of his FAAB $ for 4 years straight. Assuming each team is given $100 FAAB at the beginning of each season, at the start of season 5, Team#1 has amassed $500 FAAB. Most other teams in that league would likely have around the standard single-season amount, $100. Team#1 has made the value of a single $ completely lopsided now, likely for multiple seasons to come. Like a really bad arms race, a single team initially applying that strategy would force all the other teams to start hoarding FAAB $ across multiple seasons just to be able to compete. Really bad idea in this particular scenario

Now in League#2, they use a system where the Waiver Priority from the previous season rolls over for the following season.

Team#1 in that league needs a RB. Team#1 has the #1 overall Waiver Priority. Team#1 doesn't see a RB that he feels is worth the value of the #1 Waiver Claim. He waits all season, and some new starters show up on the Waiver Wire, but no one that he thinks will be a "grade A" type of RB (more important for a dynasty league). So he simply holds on to his Waiver claim when the season ends, and continues his search in the following season. He's not penalized or forced to choose a player that he doesn't feel is worthy of the high claim priority.

Now, using the above example, let's pretend that he holds onto that claim for 5 years. Unlike the FAAB $ example, where the team with $500 FAAB (compared to everyone else's roughly $100 FAAB) can basically bid $100 5 different times, if the guy that carried the #1 Waiver Claim across 5 seasons finally sees that player that he feels is that "grade A" RB, he can still only use that claim once. A single time. As soon as he uses it, he drops to the bottom of the list.

By using a setting that carries over the Waiver Priority from the previous season, we avoid forcing teams to select a player that they would have not otherwise selected (when the season ends). They're not forced to select a grade C player just because the season is almost over. It cannot be abused by any team, because even a team decided to hold on to (not use) that #1 Waiver Claim across multiple seasons until they find "just the right" player, that entire time they would have been basically removed from the bidding process for all other players on Waivers.

It really forces you to manage your high Waiver claim, to only spend the claim when you're positive that you'll be picking up an impact player.

-I don't think we should be trading waiver wire spots/FAAB$ (whatever that is)

I do think that trading Waiver Priority could get unnecessarily confusing. I think I agree with this one.

The obvious workaround is to simply tell the guy with the #1 claim the name of the player you want, have him use the #1 overall claim on said player, and then trade that player to you. In essence, that's the same thing and that way you don't need to pull the Commish into the mix to have him manually modify the Waiver Order.

Yea, still would rather have the reverse order of the rookie draft be the starting point for Waiver wire in a year. It's worked out well in all the dynasty leagues I have been in, I have never even heard 1 person complain about having to use their waiver wire priority at the end of the year. Not once.

Not a sticking point with me though and it is always something we can put to a vote when we get to it.

cheers

BTW, you're also incorrect on this particular point. Yahoo! automatically records the final Waiver Priority of every season of the league's existence.

To view any particular season's final Waiver Priority, it takes a total of 3 clicks from the league's main page.

First, on the league's main page, just underneath the red bar at the top, there is a dropdown menu that shows the current year.

You simply click the dropdown menu, select the year you want, and on the page that comes up, click the tab labeled "Standings". As simple as that.

I have never even heard 1 person complain about having to use their waiver wire priority at the end of the year. Not once.

Allow me to be the first :P

BTW, you're also incorrect on this particular point. Yahoo! automatically records the final Waiver Priority of every season of the league's existence.

To view any particular season's final Waiver Priority, it takes a total of 3 clicks from the league's main page.

First, on the league's main page, just underneath the red bar at the top, there is a dropdown menu that shows the current year.

You simply click the dropdown menu, select the year you want, and on the page that comes up, click the tab labeled "Standings". As simple as that.

And it takes no clicks to say reverse order. So, still easier. :P

Edited by southernSteeler

No word from Longhorn. I'll give him tonight and I guess get somebody new, I know we have time but I want to get this thing going. :)

• Like 2

Just wanted to throw something out. I'm all for the allowance of trading picks, however I think we should limit the amount of future picks that can be traded to 2013 rookie/FA picks and not beyond.

No word from Longhorn. I'll give him tonight and I guess get somebody new, I know we have time but I want to get this thing going. :)

I know he sometimes has his service commitments that limit his ability to check email or whatever, he's a damn good fantasy owner IMO, worth giving him some time to get his new email situation sorted out so he can be in this league long term. I'm anxious to draft too, maybe a draft lottery to temporarily sooth the wild beasts?

• Like 1

Damn look at me trying to boot out a service man, I thought it was just Ill Will in here. Yeah, he can have all the time he needs then.

What do you think about having a draft lottery with him assigned a team so we can see where we're picking and those of us (hi Robrain!) who like to trade picks can get negotiations started? Might speed up the actual draft once it's going.

I was also wondering what happened, seemed like the league came to a standstill. It's still plenty of time left before the season though so it's cool.

So I guess the only thing that's got the league on pause right now is that final guy signing up?

I sent the PM that night to the commish and havent heard anything back yet...I figured he was just busy and I was waiting patiently for the invite.

• Like 1

I didnt want to be THAT guy and bug him, just thought he was busy! Anyway, sent my email to him again and to Drater just in case...sorry for the delay all

I sent the PM that night to the commish and havent heard anything back yet...I figured he was just busy and I was waiting patiently for the invite.

I didn't get one. I haven't got a private message from anybody since July 15th, till the one you just sent. Invite sent.

Edited by megamoviejohn

I'll enter the emails into the random draft order and you guys should get an email shortly...I'll post it here as well.

The following draft order was generated for the "Prestige Worldwide" league at 3:14:32 PM on July 19, 2012

1 - El Iguanodon

2 - Southern Studs

3 - Purple Peaople Eaters

4 - Boats 'N Hoes

5 - Spike Rules!

6 - Longhorn

7 - TPH

8 - Southern Steeler

9 - KTOWNRACER

10 - $1000 Bounty

11 - Manassa Mauler

12 - Maniac All-Stars

Bookend picks for me. Boom.

[EDIT: Just to clarify, this is a snake draft, right?]

Edited by Robrain

I call Shananigans with the commish getting 1st pick, he got first pick in our other startup 4 years ago too...bet you're not taking AP this time tho.

Willing to trade down from 1.7 for a second and third round pick, let me know.

• Like 1

Bookend picks for me. Boom.

[EDIT: Just to clarify, this is a snake draft, right?]

Yes sir!