Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thats Ridiculous

Lakers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Lets not let this thread turn into a flame fest guys, its not there yet but its got the makings of one. Constructive discussion is perfectly acceptable but if we are just going to start spinning the wheels then we should probably reevaluate.

when lakers lose its kobes fault. when he wins championships its because of the team around him. its getting old

He deserves both credit and blame! Which is why it's frustrating for some of us when he calls out his teammates publicly when things aren't going well.

pau is the one struggling not kobe so he called him out. do any of you guys remember when MJ was in the league? he would always keep his team mates in check. kobe and MJ have the exact same attitude and thats why they are winners. but no one seems to mention that

Did MJ call out his teammates in the media? I know he was very tough on them but my recollection was that he did it in practice, not blabbing to the media.

Of course, MJ didn't really go through a stretch like this, between years 3 and 12 his teams were really, really good.

http://escobar300.wo...g-his-teamates/

those are locker room quotes...he was notorious for being a trash talker and hard a** to his teammates behind closed doors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Jq6avQRL37Y#!

find me something where he loses to the pistons and hes in the papers crying about how his team is no good

those are locker room quotes...he was notorious for being a trash talker and hard a** to his teammates behind closed doors:

http://www.youtube.c...&v=Jq6avQRL37Y#!

find me something where he loses to the pistons and hes in the papers crying about how his team is no good

you do realize in the 80s/90s they didnt have the 24/7 media they have today? and FYI no those are not all locker room quotes

Damnit. Only 29 points tonight for kobe24. Hit his 30k mark. They only won by 16.

He needs to learn how to close and win by 30......

Damnit. Only 29 points tonight for kobe24. Hit his 30k mark. They only won by 16.

they only won because of the team around him. i know he was 10-17 but trust me they were really bad shots

they only won because of the team around him. i know he was 10-17 but trust me they were really bad shots

and they also won beacuse of Dwight and Gasol remeber Kobe always plays with superstars around him and a stacked team unlike Mike & Lebron wich they never had great players like Kobe!!!!! kobe is the biggest ballhoog and is the biggest arrogant player in the game!!!!

when lakers lose its kobes fault. when he wins championships its because of the team around him. its getting old

He deserves both credit and blame! Which is why it's frustrating for some of us when he calls out his teammates publicly when things aren't going well.

pau is the one struggling not kobe so he called him out. do any of you guys remember when MJ was in the league? he would always keep his team mates in check. kobe and MJ have the exact same attitude and thats why they are winners. but no one seems to mention that

Did MJ call out his teammates in the media? I know he was very tough on them but my recollection was that he did it in practice, not blabbing to the media.

Of course, MJ didn't really go through a stretch like this, between years 3 and 12 his teams were really, really good.

http://escobar300.wo...g-his-teamates/

LOL

http://www.youtube.c...&v=Jq6avQRL37Y#!

you do realize in the 80s/90s they didnt have the 24/7 media they have today? and FYI no those are not all locker room quotes

yes, im aware of 80s and 90s ball, its what i grew up on.

MJ basically single handedly created the world wide hype that basketball is today.

im definitely not saying MJ is a saint...after all, hes notorious for dumping on his fans...

but the guy was a winner. look at his rosters and who he had. he won. he consistently lost to the pistons and sure, you might have dug up a few obscure quotes of him getting on his teammates but from memory, when he consistently lost to the pistons...he didnt throw his teammates under the bus and rather blamed himself and changed his game. they called him a ball hog, what does he do the following season? he jacks up his assists and gets his teammates involved...

i grew up hating MJ and how he thrashed my lakers for his first three-peat...but when he retired, i jumped on the band wagon because he was a true player and have remained on since.

kobe, on the other hand, has had the privilege of having the lakers buy him any piece he needs...and if it doesnt work, he cries and cries some more. he is never shy about trashing his team and ive yet to see this guy step up as a leader...even after 5 championships.

^lol...doesnt look like you read the quotes....MJ was NOTORIOUS for crying to the front office and bashing teammates, whether it be in the media or in the locker room. the guy was intense and kobe, if anything, is like a TONED DOWN version of him. it's always been amazing to me how someone can praise jordan, and under the same breath, diss kobe. pretty sad, actually. just like u hated jordan when he was active and only appreciated him when he was gone, the same will apply to kobe once he's gone.

Those quotes are uncited. How many of them were observed first-hand? Most of them sound like they were done in the privacy of the locker room. I think there's a huge difference between criticizing your teammates behind closed doors and airing your grievances in the media.

That said, if you can provide some actual cited quotes where Jordan is trashing his teammates in the media, I will retract this whole line of discussion.

I dunno, I really hate the Hack-A-Shaq. It destroys the flow of the game and it's not enjoyable basketball, regardless of whether it's a good strategy or not.

People are quick to say "shoot better free throws" but it's just not that easy. Guys like Shaq, Howard, Biedrins, etc. aren't shooters. They just don't have the physical capabilities (fine motor skills, coordination, etc.) to shoot free throws well. No amount of practice is going to make Biedrins a 70% FT shooter.

I think this suggestion is a good one.

when you are the commissioner of the nba you dont get to decide how the coaches coach their teams. you also dont get to decide which trades are best for the teams and determine the outcome of the games. this guy is so corrupt he just disgusts me

when you are the commissioner of the nba you dont get to decide how the coaches coach their teams. you also dont get to decide which trades are best for the teams and determine the outcome of the games. this guy is so corrupt he just disgusts me

I disagreed with the Spurs fine FWIW, so I do agree he shouldn't be able to tell coaches how to coach. Are you saying that Stern should have no input as to the rules of the league? If so, I couldn't disagree more.

I dunno, I really hate the Hack-A-Shaq. It destroys the flow of the game and it's not enjoyable basketball, regardless of whether it's a good strategy or not.

People are quick to say "shoot better free throws" but it's just not that easy. Guys like Shaq, Howard, Biedrins, etc. aren't shooters. They just don't have the physical capabilities (fine motor skills, coordination, etc.) to shoot free throws well. No amount of practice is going to make Biedrins a 70% FT shooter.

It seems like a terrible suggestion to me, it gives the team with the atrocious free throw shooter an inherent advantage in crunch time by keeping what in most cases is also a defensive presence on the floor with no chance at rebuttal. If you have a player who is atrocious at FT but dominant defensively there should be some consequence to him being on the floor in crunch time. While shooting FT might not make them 70% shooters, there is no excuse in the NBA for anyone to be shooting as poorly as some of these guys are. I dont buy the argument that a guy in the NBA like Howard (a league that claims to have the best athletes on earth mind you) doesnt have the motor skills to shoot free throws when the average over weight 30+ year old male can convert at a higher clip.

And as kobe24 said above, this is another example of a commissioner overstepping boundaries and affecting coaching in the game. Maybe he should tell teams what sets they can and cannot run at the end of the game as well based on which ones are more entertaining. The rules of the game should be decided by a rules committee in the offseason and should be enforced equitably among all teams. Something that was lacking with the Spurs sanction based on past events that drew no ire.

It seems like a terrible suggestion to me, it gives the team with the atrocious free throw shooter an inherent advantage in crunch time by keeping what in most cases is also a defensive presence on the floor with no chance at rebuttal. If you have a player who is atrocious at FT but dominant defensively there should be some consequence to him being on the floor in crunch time. While shooting FT might not make them 70% shooters, there is no excuse in the NBA for anyone to be shooting as poorly as some of these guys are. I dont buy the argument that a guy in the NBA like Howard (a league that claims to have the best athletes on earth mind you) doesnt have the motor skills to shoot free throws when the average over weight 30+ year old male can convert at a higher clip.

And as kobe24 said above, this is another example of a commissioner overstepping boundaries and affecting coaching in the game.

How is he affecting coaching? Teams are still going to Hack-A-Shaq as long as it's legal.

][/b]Maybe he should tell teams what sets they can and cannot run at the end of the game as well based on which ones are more entertaining. The rules of the game should be decided by a rules committee in the offseason and should be enforced equitably among all teams. Something that was lacking with the Spurs sanction based on past events that drew no ire.

Fortunately, they are. Stern cannot change rules in the middle of the season. I don't know if there's a mechanism to change league rules in the middle of the year, even with unanimous team approval.

The "Hack-A-Shaq" rule is already in place. Stern just believes that it should be expanded to apply the entire game, not just the last two minutes. I am not sure what is driving this. He mentions early fouls on Tiago Splitter.

I don't like watching the "Hack-A-Shaq" strategy during games but it is a measure that is valid when you identify a specific weakness of an opponent. This issue is less about competition and more about entertainment.

I disagreed with the Spurs fine FWIW, so I do agree he shouldn't be able to tell coaches how to coach. Are you saying that Stern should have no input as to the rules of the league? If so, I couldn't disagree more.

there is a difference in having input on the rules and wanting full control over every aspect of the game. free throw shooting is part of the game and "hack-a-shaq" is a strategy to attack the weaknesses of some players. this is just one of many examples where stern is crossing the line

i agree 100% with mbroo5880i. this is all about entertainment as was the spurs fine. stern thinks with his wallet and doesnt give a crap about the purity of the game

If you're worried about the "purity of the game" why would you allow the game to slog down into a free-throw shooting contest after one team continually fouls a player on the other side? That's not basketball, that's gamesmanship. Which of course is legal based on the current rules, but it's not entertaining or fun.

Just stumbled across this tweet from the Lakers beat writer Dave McMenamin:

@mcten Kobe on the team's viewing of "Lincoln": "I don't know if the guys knew who he was ... It came as a big shock to them when he was killed"

:o - not sure if this is funny or sad.

@mcten Kobe on the team's viewing of "Lincoln": "I don't know if the guys knew who he was ... It came as a big shock to them when he was killed"

:lol: Sadly, I have more faith that Pau and Nash knew who he was and his accomplishments and they're not from this country.....

WTF dude, no spoilers