Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Michael Wacha SP STL

whats his ETA if he continues to do well??

Comes down to if the Cardinals view Joe Kelly as the next man up or Wacha if injury strikes or lets say Shelby Miller doesn't pitch to his potential. There is also Carlos Martinez in the mix, but I think at this point Wacha has shown much more polish and if he continues to pitch like he does at AAA it would be hard to keep him down past the super two date. Not sure of the innings limit though. He only pitched 130 Innings last year and pitched 21 of those a reliever after he was drafted. Should be interesting to see where the Cards place the limit.

He will more than likely go to the bullpen if he gets called up this year, which i fully expect.

I imagine they probably want to stretch him out as a starter and see how he handles it before the call up.

Really, that's the only thing he has to prove is that he pitch for more than 2 innings at a time.

He will more than likely go to the bullpen if he gets called up this year, which i fully expect.

I imagine they probably want to stretch him out as a starter and see how he handles it before the call up.

Really, that's the only thing he has to prove is that he pitch for more than 2 innings at a time.

Similar to how they used Trevor Rosenthal last year?

That's actually pretty important.

Pitchers who can't cut it as starters are guys who can't face the order for a 2nd or 3rd time, don't have good enough secondary pitches, or their stamina is lacking.

Looking at Wacha's gamelogs from last year, he only went 3 innings once. The rest were pretty much all 2 inning outings. I don't see him starting any time soon in The Bigs based on how the Cardinals are using him.

That's actually pretty important.

Pitchers who can't cut it as starters are guys who can't face the order for a 2nd or 3rd time, don't have good enough secondary pitches, or their stamina is lacking.

Looking at Wacha's gamelogs from last year, he only went 3 innings once. The rest were pretty much all 2 inning outings. I don't see him starting any time soon in The Bigs based on how the Cardinals are using him.

Well he was a starter in college--they only limited his innings because they threw him right into the fire.

The only reason he didn't come north with the team this year is because he needs to be stretched out.

I foresee a mid-summer call up when Jaime Garcia inevidably gets hurt and joe kelly gets bumped into the rotation

Anyone else think he will end up as their closer this year? He looked amazing during the spring, but there isn't a clear path to the rotation. If the Cards want to contend, they can't stick with Boggs and Motte is looking less and less likely to be coming back.

Anyone else think he will end up as their closer this year? He looked amazing during the spring, but there isn't a clear path to the rotation. If the Cards want to contend, they can't stick with Boggs and Motte is looking less and less likely to be coming back.

I'd still say Rosenthal is ahead of him on that depth chart, and Rosenthal is no slouch. I mean it could happen, but I'd consider it unlikely

this guy is filthy.

Any particular reason why? He has 3Ks in 9IP so far with 5BB.

should prolly check his stats from last year

I know his stats from last year I own him in my keeper league. I saw this thread bumped so I thought maybe he did something. Kind of odd timing to say he is filthy when he has 3Ks to 5BB so far in his first 2 AAA starts.

this guy is filthy.

yea because I've seen him pitch numerous times by now.lol. Stats only mean so much to me in the minors esp when a guy is in the process of converting to a SP. They work on specific things and may be told by their organization to work on a few pitches in certain scenarios. He passes the eye test every time I saw him. Incredible change up.

this guy is filthy.

yea because I've seen him pitch numerous times by now.lol. Stats only mean so much to me in the minors esp when a guy is in the process of converting to a SP. They work on specific things and may be told by their organization to work on a few pitches in certain scenarios. He passes the eye test every time I saw him. Incredible change up.

I guess it's certainly possible he was trying things out, and it's an incredibly small sample size... but that's a pretty bad start (especially pitching in the minors)

Where did the Ks go? He only has 15 Ks in 26ip.

Those numbers are phenomenal in the PCL.

indeed... how does his value for this season rate relative to other stashes such as wheeler and cole?

He's got 17 Ks in his last 18.2 IP. Before that he was only getting about 2-3 per start, which is why the overall season K rate is so low. I heard a report recently that his curveball has developed into another potential plus pitch, so maybe he was working on that earlier this season (total speculation on my part). With a filthy changeup and pinpoint accuracy on a fastball that is difficult for hitters to pickup on, he's certainly got the tools to develop into a great big league starter.

Anyone thinking Dan Haren (the good Haren, in his prime) as a comp? Low 3s ERA, elite WHIP, about a K/inning and rarely walking anyone

Wacha prolly has a touch more velocity than Haren.

I'm tempted to set the ERA in the upper 2's.

*takes rose-colored glasses off now*

Scar tissue discovered around Westbrook's elbow. Won't be ready to be activated when first eligible according to reports. If Gast bombs his next outing, then Wacha could very well be a possibility.

Jaime Garcia hits the DL... Any chance Wacha gets called up?

Jaime Garcia on the DL for what looks like a long term absence....any chance he gets called up and if he does what do we think?