Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Michael Wacha SP STL

With Westbrook on the DL also, I kind of feel like it's going to happen.

Unless they really want to just go with Gast for a while.

But, if this is more than a 3-4 start thing, I think it has to be Wacha.

Kelly hasn't been great, and Rosenthal is the 8th inning man. I don't think they're going to want to stretch out Rosenthal.

Kelly or Wacha IMO

With Westbrook on the DL also, I kind of feel like it's going to happen.

Unless they really want to just go with Gast for a while.

But, if this is more than a 3-4 start thing, I think it has to be Wacha.

Kelly hasn't been great, and Rosenthal is the 8th inning man. I don't think they're going to want to stretch out Rosenthal.

Kelly or Wacha IMO

I think you have a very good perspective on it. If you're in a deep league, I think now is the time to speculate if you have an empty roster spot you can find. If not, then wait for more information in the S-T. Other guy is maybe Carlos Martinez?

FWIW, Kelly hasn't gone longer than an inning in over a month.....

Chris Carpenter I think is also in the mix...

He's been going pretty hard in BP sessions. I mean he'd have to throw a few rehab games, but things changed last week from "He'll throw in the pen" to now "He's preparing to possibly go into the rotation"

I really think it all depends on Westbrook and how Gast does tonight.

I think they're fine with someone like Gast if Westbrook is in the rotation, but if they have to fill 2 holes they'll go Wacha.

Card's GM has said repeatedly that guys like Wacha and Tavares are "MLB Ready"

The only thing is gast could be the long term, but I really think they should bring wacha up at least for the short term

Why wouldn't Kelly get the call? It was between him and Miller for the #5 slot out of spring training.

Kelly has been very underwhelming this year out of the pen, plus he would have to be stretched out if he was going to take the spot.

He's been going pretty hard in BP sessions. I mean he'd have to throw a few rehab games, but things changed last week from "He'll throw in the pen" to now "He's preparing to possibly go into the rotation"

I think they're fine with someone like Gast if Westbrook is in the rotation, but if they have to fill 2 holes they'll go Wacha.

Latest reports are Carp is about a month way barring any setback.

The only thing is gast could be the long term, but I really think they should bring wacha up at least for the short term

I think Gast is short-term, Wacha is long term.

They assumed it was just 2 starts for Gast, so bring him up, don't take Wacha out of his rhythm. Send Gast back down.

But if they need a long-term starter, and a 4th starter, that's not Gast. Wacha is a potential star, and Mo' hasn't been shy about bringing kids up lately.

Carp is probably a month away.....at least 3 weeks. I don't have much faith in him ever being major league ready although it would be a great story.

One thing that may hurt Wacha is that he's a RHP. I understand it may seem silly but Garcia was their only lefty starter. Gast is a lefty too.....The other 4 starters are RHP. Again, I understand it may seem silly but MLB GM and manager's can out think themselves at times.

They assumed it was just 2 starts for Gast, so bring him up, don't take Wacha out of his rhythm. Send Gast back down.

But if they need a long-term starter, and a 4th starter, that's not Gast. Wacha is a potential star, and Mo' hasn't been shy about bringing kids up lately.

Yeah this is what I am hoping will happen. When was garcias next start supposed to be.

Yeah this is what I am hoping will happen. When was garcias next start supposed to be.

Wednesday, 5/22 @SD

Some lucky guy picked up Wacha after it was announced Gast was coming up and then held on to him and now this. Guess it pays off to be in last place and barely ever active. I think Wacha is ready to contribute now and would pick him up before they announce something for sure.

Wacha would be scheduled to pitch Tuesday, right?

One thing that may hurt Wacha is that he's a RHP. I understand it may seem silly but Garcia was their only lefty starter. Gast is a lefty too.....The other 4 starters are RHP. Again, I understand it may seem silly but MLB GM and manager's can out think themselves at times.

Fair point, but it seems like the talent of Wacha outweighs the throwing arm. Gast wasn't terrible, but he just looked like one of those guys who at best is 9-7 in the Bigs. A soft-tossing lefty, with an alright change-up and that's about it.

Wacha would be scheduled to pitch Tuesday, right?

It would be a smooth transition for Wacha to join the rotation, so another plus.

Some lucky guy picked up Wacha after it was announced Gast was coming up and then held on to him and now this. Guess it pays off to be in last place and barely ever active. I think Wacha is ready to contribute now and would pick him up before they announce something for sure.

I'd pick him up right now in my 16 team league, but I've maxed out my add/drops for the week

:(

The speculation is worth it

Fair point, but it seems like the talent of Wacha outweighs the throwing arm. Gast wasn't terrible, but he just looked like one of those guys who at best is 9-7 in the Bigs. A soft-tossing lefty, with an alright change-up and that's about it.

I tend to agree but setting up a series with nothing but RHP will test the patience of some managers. I don't think it's a big deal, but paralysis by analysis can sometimes rear it's head. Again, in deep leagues, I think the time to act is now. I grabbed him in a couple.

One thing in Wacha's favor IMO is his last game was probably his best this year. That will mean something when the Red Birds decide whose taking Garcia's spot.

It would make sense to bring up Wacha since he'll be on normal rest, but unfortunately i think it's gonna be kelly.

Bringing Boggs up is absolutely mind.......boggling.

They called up Boggs for the time being to replace Garcia. Is there a chance they use him in the setup role and have Rosenthal start?

God i hope not. Boggs does not need to be in any high-leverage situations.

Also, i guess part of the reason is because Wacha isn't on the 40-man.

If Garcia needs surgery, they can transfer him to the 60-day, freeing up a spot.

It would make sense to bring up Wacha since he'll be on normal rest, but unfortunately i think it's gonna be kelly.

Probably just a bullpen arm for mop up duty until they need to make a decision on which way they'll go. FWIW and it' a SSS but Boggs' production was still terrible in the minors. Now he was probably down to work on some things but 5 BB in 5.1 innings.

They called up Motte for the time being to replace Garcia. Is there a chance they use him in the setup role and have Rosenthal start?

Definitely possible but again, Boggs (which I assumed you meant) was far from inspiring on the farm.....

Kelly's been awful this season, though. But they seem to love giving him chances.

Any Cards fans heard any speculation on who gets the call?

MO was on the Pre-game show and basically went through the list of possibilities. It included everyone...

Maness, Gast, Kelly, Wacha, and he even mentioned Tyler Lyons.

As for Boggs, they don't really need a starter until Weds. So, that's why they added a RP IMO. And Boggs was doing well until the other night.

He had 5 good innings, then got hit around.

I still believe in Boggs, and I'm sure MO and the team does as well. He's been too good to just completely write-off because of 10 bad innings.