Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Michael Wacha SP STL

This guy doesn't think it will be Wacha.

Joe Strauss@JoeStrauss

To those asking, I would not anticipate Wacha taking over Garcia's spot in rotation. Sorry to disappoint.

No chance it will be Rosenthal? Make Rosenthal a starter and let Boggs take his place? Or at least try.

Joe Strauss is basically a professional troll, and clown. So, I'm not sure how much cred I give that tweet.

I feel like it might be someone like Kelly for the time being, but Mo' isn't going to keep Wacha down because he's not ready to go.

He's repeatedly said he's ready; and the Cards don't really seem to care about the money as far as the bring-up dates go IMO.

Comparisons are hard, but in spring everyone was saying that he looked and had similar mannerisms as Wainwright.

But tall righties.

Last season in the minors he had 40 Ks in 21 innings.

This season 32 Ks in 49 innings, so only a K/9 of 6.0

I just hope the lower K rate means that he realizes there are certain hitters in the bigs, where his stuff will not play to K that guy; rather induce that weak contact instead. If Yadier endorsed him as ready in spring training, that is good enough for me. He likely will not be the guy this time, but I really hope his skills progress to the next level. Not heavily invested in him either.

I think you can cross Kelly out, as he continues to be terrible by giving up 2 runs in a tied ballgame.

I doubt they would move Rosenthal from the setup role or even Martinez from the bullpen.

Could be a spot start by Manness or Wacha callup.

Well, looking at the box score from tonight's game, Kelly, Rosenthal, and Martinez all threw tonight and all threw 17 pitches or more. Garcia's spot in the rotation is on Wednesday. So that means if it was one of those 3 guys to take the spot, they would have to go on somewhat short rest. That would mean it would either have to be Maness, who last threw last night, which would be a normal rotation rest, or it could be Wacha that could get the call. As you can see by my sig, I have taken the option that it will be Wacha. Fingers crossed on that one, despite my absolute hatred for the Cards organization as a whole (Reds fan here).

I think you can cross Kelly out, as he continues to be terrible by giving up 2 runs in a tied ballgame.

I doubt they would move Rosenthal from the setup role or even Martinez from the bullpen.

Could be a spot start by Manness or Wacha callup.

I've read rumors it may be Manness. My money is on Rosenthal. I think the Boggs call up is for him to take the place of Rosenthal. Pure speculation on my part.

The post below is from a member from the website stltoday.com. This guy seems to have a clue and makes the most sense to me:

I am not sure that many of the posts in this thread are answering the right question. The question isn't "who could fill in a rotation spot for awhile". The answer to that question is Lyons, Maness, Gast, Kelly, and any number of other guys that have been mentioned.

The question really is "who could fill in a rotation spot permanently"?

We won't see Garcia again this year or next year. So, you move on, not with temporary fixes but with something that could be a season long or multiple season solution.

Rosenthal would top my list. Wacha would be next, but it is very hard for me to see him capable of throwing 180 innings (AAA and MLB combined) one season removed from college ball. Martinez would be third, but I think he is most equipped to cover Rosenthal's spot in the pen. He's also less experienced than Rosey.... I like him, but prefer Rosenthal at this point.

I just don't see how you could give a rotation spot to a guy like Gast or Maness when you have potential studs available.

If I were running the Cards -- and fear not, I am not -- I bring up Boggs to see what he has, slot him into Maness' mop up role for now, plug Maness into the rotation for two weeks, give Martinez Rosenthal's old role, and send Rosey to Memphis to stretch out.

When Westy is back, send Gast down and reevaluate your pen and promote Rosey to the rotation. Boggs, Maness, Kelly, or Salas go down.

Complicated, I know, but it is the best long-term solution. It is also complicated by the fact that guys you are counting on -- Boggs, Kelly, Salas, Scrabble -- have not performed. But your bullpen should never dictate your rotation. We can fill bullpen spots like Rosey's a lot easier than a rotation spot both internally and through potential trades. It's hard to piecemeal a rotation spot for 5 months and stay competitive and trading for a starter will cost us a HUGE prospect.

Long time since I have contributed to the Wacha Express, but I wanted to toss out my opinion. Mainly because the beer told me to do so (Full Sail IPA, a good IPA for the price). I think that Wacha gets the start. It just makes the most sense, to me anyways. With the woes the Cards bullpen has faced, losing both Boggs and Motte, they need the stability that Rosenthal offers in the late inningz more then they need him to be a starter. They already are converting another prized SP prospect in Carlos Martinez to the bullpen and asides from one outing the results have been positive. They may have done so a few weeks early with Martinez, but you can see the Cards making the move to shore up the bullpen and I cannot really blame them. I doubt they shift Martinez to a starters role till someone else in the rp corps steps up. As noted previously, Wacha had his best start to date this year in AAA in his past outting. 7IP 2HA 1BB 8K 1ER 1HRA. Really, I dont know more than anyone else. Just another guessing fool.

Cardinals have a history of starting their pitchers out in the pen in their first year. They could certainly break that mold with Wacha but I'm not so sure of that yet.

I don't know how Rosenthal would be an option for the job... yes he has a great fastball but his secondary stuff isn't there yet. As it is he's throwing his FB 86% of the time and you can't let major league hitters sit on the FB three times through the order no matter how fast it is.

Plus I believe he threw somewhere between 15-20 pitches yesterday so he would be on short rest as someone already mentioned.

Passed over for Tyler Lyons :huh: More than likely because it would only be for a start or two before Westbrook comes back. Wouldnt write off Wacha just yet though, his opportunity is getting close

mo said its not about money or the arbitration clock, but that hes just now getting used to a 5 man rotation and "stressful inning".

So it's a workload thing.

Kind of shocked it's Lyons, but Mo did drop his name yesterday.

Westbrook must be fine

Kind of shocked it's Lyons, but Mo did drop his name yesterday.

Westbrook must be fine

Kinda what I'm thinking

I don't know how Rosenthal would be an option for the job... yes he has a great fastball but his secondary stuff isn't there yet. As it is he's throwing his FB 86% of the time and you can't let major league hitters sit on the FB three times through the order no matter how fast it is.

When you are pitching out the pen though, it's a totally different philosophy than starting. I wouldn't look at his FB% and try and say that will be the same % when/if he starts. Having said that, yes he does need to develop his secondary stuff some more to be an effective starter (Rosenthal).

Westbrook maybe isn't so fine, I'll be watching gast and Lyons very closely

Think Wacha has to be considered if Lyons or Gast falters??? I snagged Carpenter but who knows for sure with him?