Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crotchcrickets

Michael Wacha SP STL

Is he the type of guy who will dominate right away?

His minor league numbers are fantastic. ERA/WHIP numbers remind me of what Hamels did when he tore up the minors.

Low WHIP and walk totals are encouraging. But his stuff isn't ridiculous

90-93mph fastball with an elite 83-85 mph change.

When he was drafted the book on him was low to mid 90's fastball with a very good changeup but still had a questionable curveball. I know the velocity is supposedly up this year to mid 90's. And his numbers are just sick. He was always supposed to be on the fast track to the majors as he had a lot of college experience. I don't think this is a guy who will be in over his head at the major league level.

I would definitely add..

Is he the type of guy who will dominate right away?

His minor league numbers are fantastic. ERA/WHIP numbers remind me of what Hamels did when he tore up the minors.

Low WHIP and walk totals are encouraging. But his stuff isn't ridiculous

90-93mph fastball with an elite 83-85 mph change.

STL has been awesome w/ developing young arms, he doesn't walk the house, will get run support, what's not to like as a WW flier?

Many seasons I sit back and wonder why I kept a Garcia/Guthrie/Kazmir type on my bench while young hurlers come into their own... If you have a slot open, Ora "meh" #5 SP, take a shot!

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 26, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, May 26, 2013 - No reason given

Picked up him in H2H league. WIll grab him in all the league

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 26, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, May 26, 2013 - No reason given

Talked me into it. Why not. Dropped that bum Weeks finally.

Wacha has been labeled as another version of Dan Haren in his prime. His #'s have been fantastic and from what I have read has a 93-94MPH fastball with movement, a ridiculous changeup which by his minor league coach was labeled as the best he has ever seen. His curveball and slider are in fact better than advertised according to most scouts and judging by his #'s(ERA & WHIP), he has really solid command across the board. This guy I believe could be a real gem, so jump on board folks. As Fozzie Bear would say.......WACHA, WACHA, WACHA!!!!

5.8 K/9. Not all that exciting.

It's entirely possible the change in competition affected the k/9, but he had 40k's in 22 ip last year, and k'd 11 in 9 innings in spring training. The Cards made it a point to have him develop his curve in the minors this year and I think that contributed to his low k rate. He has good velocity on his fb, is tall and has good downward plane, so the velocity actually plays up, and his change is ridiculous. His CB was average coming into the year but has progressed quite a bit. I'd take a flyer and see what he does. He does give up a good amount of FB's, so he may give up some HR's, but I'd rather have Wacha than Odorizzi.

Posted · Hidden by Patrick Bateman, May 26, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Patrick Bateman, May 26, 2013 - No reason given

who do you like better Wacha or Gausman for ROS?

who do you like better Wacha or Gausman for ROS?

Ooh, man. Gausman has better stuff overall, I think Wacha's change is the best pitch either have, but even in its degraded state pitching in the AL East is tough. I'd probably say Gausman, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar numbers. Cards know how to produce pitching prospects.

I think Wacha will get more wins and sustain lower ERA and ratios. Gasman better Ks.

This hasn't been confirmed, right? Just speculation at this point and time? Don't want to jump the gun here.

They need a rest of the year solution. Sending Rosenthal or Martinez down to stretch them out is a better option. Both are higher upside arms (and both are rated higher as prospects). I've always felt Wacha is a bit overrated.

Wacha isn't in the class of other prospects like Harvey, Gausman, T Walker, Cole, etc. He's not a top 100 guy for Keith Law and is 76 in mlb.com.