FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

The 24 year old undrafted RB is having a huge preseason so far for Arizona.

You guys think that may warrant him some carries?

I know it's some what of a long shot that he becomes a fantasy staple but he looks like he has some good upside and Bennie Wells a good back isn't some elite RB. Wells also is coming back from knee surgery.

Powell went undrafted in 2010 after his senior season at Kansas State. He didn't get many carries his senior year backing up Daniel Thomas (now The Dolphin's RB).

But when he did get attempts he made the most of them. He averaged 10.9 yards a carry, but he only had 23 attempts yet he still managed to breakout for 4 TDs! That's better than 1 out of every 6 carries went for a TD, and I'm assuming with the 10.9 average and minimal carries that he wasn't the featured goal line back.

He also averaged an incredible 36.4 yards per kick return his senior year in college.

Now two years later he looks like he has something to prove to all who have over looked him.

William Powell looks like he has big play ability and just needs the opportunity. He is certainly someone I will be monitoring. Especially if Wells goes down or has trouble recovering from his knee surgery.

Could be an Arian Foster (circa 2010) like pre season. Not saying it will be or that it is. But worth keeping an eye on for sure just in case it is...

Edited by FouLLine

Be hard unless Wells AND Williams went down with injury (which is always possible), but then he'd be in a committee......

As a returner, Stephens-Howling is pretty safe and will have his small place on offense as a 3rd back.

On another note, can you please denote the year in the title when you start these threads? Really helps folks that are doing a search to post in the proper thread. We get multiple PMs about this a week. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

On another note, can you please denote the year in the title when you start these threads? Really helps folks that are doing a search to post in the proper thread. We get multiple PMs about this a week. Thanks so much.

Yeah I realized I didn't do that right after I posted. Sorry, any chance you could tack it on there?

Be hard unless Wells AND Williams went down with injury (which is always possible), but then he'd be in a committee......

What makes you think Ryan Williams is ahead of Powell on the depth chart? The guy has gotten way less carries so far in preseason. Not to mention Ryan William been far less effective than William Powell so far.

Being undrafted will basically put you at the end of any team's depth chart. You can tell he's behind both guys because they had carries early on in the game and then he came in during the 4th.

The preseason isn't a time to see who gets the most carries/yards, it's when coaches want to give time to guys, that they haven't seen play, and see what they can do. He's had some good games but they have enough RBs to where he can potentially be cut and not even make the 53 man roster. As of right now, he's 5th on the depth chart.

Edited by Finally Detroit Wins

Being undrafted will basically put you at the end of any team's depth chart. You can tell he's behind both guys because they had carries early on in the game and then he came in during the 4th.

The preseason isn't a time to see who gets the most carries/yards, it's when coaches want to give time to guys, that they haven't seen play, and see what they can do. He's had some good games but they have enough RBs to where he can potentially be cut and not even make the 53 man roster. As of right now, he's 5th on the depth chart.

Yeah but you aren't putting him up against any established guys other than Wells. Powell and Williams are both rookies. Why wouldn't the rookie who has been far more productive in preseason be higher on the depth chart?

I could understand if he was out producing a veteran and the vet just was established. But you are talking about two rookies competing against one another for #2 carries on the team. Powell so far looks to be winning to me.

Powell has also looked great returning kicks. So if you have a league that counts return yards he's even more appealing.

What makes you think Ryan Williams is ahead of Powell on the depth chart? The guy has gotten way less carries so far in preseason. Not to mention Ryan William been far less effective than William Powell so far.

Draft pedigree, money, beat writers, every major football publication in the world, and their own website.....

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/depth-chart.html

Powell is playing for a roster spot. Williams is trying to win a starting job. Powell has a lot of obstacles to overcome before he could be a fantasy contributor in even the shallowest of leagues. The good news is that the 2 main guys in front of him are coming off injury. But there are plenty of pre-season game warriors out there.....

• Like 1

I think he is good name to keep in your hip pocket in case injuries pop up and WIlliams disappoints. Watch from far away and be ready to pounce.

• Like 1

Old boy still leads the preseason in rushing and his yards per carry (7.0 yards per) is head and shoulders above any RB with over 100 yards.

Old boy still leads the preseason in rushing and his yards per carry (7.0 yards per) is head and shoulders above any RB with over 100 yards.

This isn't true, actually. However, from all speculation, he's forced himself onto the 53 man roster as long as he doesn't screw it up this last game. Congrats to him and keep an eye out for him if Beanie and Williams gets hurt. Bad news is the Zona OL isn't very good.

This isn't true, actually. However, from all speculation, he's forced himself onto the 53 man roster as long as he doesn't screw it up this last game. Congrats to him and keep an eye out for him if Beanie and Williams gets hurt. Bad news is the Zona OL isn't very good.

Ohh my bad I missed one guy Nate Eachus at 8.2 yards a carry with107 yards in preseason. Either way my point still stands valid. Otherwise the next highest is David Wilson 5.9 yards a carry.

Powell also has shown the big play ability with 3 TDs 2 20+ runs and a 40+ run already.

I held off saying anything about this guy earlier because I figured he wouldn't make headlines until either Beanie Wells or Ryan Williams went down with an injury (which seemed highly likely to happen by midseason).

This guy is one of my RB sleepers. Picked him up in all of my leagues just now.

Beanie Wells just hit the IR and won't be eligible to return until November 25th. Plenty of time for this guy to sew up the lead job if he gets a chance.

Very interesting. Stephens-Howling will never be a threat for early down work, so this guy is definitely second in line in that department. I just might consider adding him. At the very least he will end up on my watch list...

"Hyphen" (LaRod Stephens-Howling) is more of a Dexter McCluster type of player / kick/punt returner. He's not going to fill-in as the starter over Powell.

larod stephenshowling is 3rd on depth chart ... still add powell?

would be fitting if he ends up being the powell to add this week

Stephen-howling is more of third-down scatback. At his size, he'd have a hard time handling a full load. If Williams went down then it would be some sort of RBBC with Powell, S-H, and Smith may see a few carries......One injury down, one to go for this guy.....Of course, Wells is expected to come back at some point and the Zona OL is pretty terrible, but all RBs that could start merit some sort of consideration or discussion....

at some point in the year i always end up with stephens howling on my roster. love the guy. would he have more immediate value as a 3rd down/change of pace? i know he's small but he can play. he'll never be a "bellcow", maybe Jahvid Best-esque?

i think powell would be the early down RB but i think LSH could carve out a role even if Williams stays healthy

Edited by rraayy3

Man, I love going after these sleeper RBs but the more of the discussion I read the more I think this will be a total clusterf*** if Ryan Williams goes down. Just the type of thing I love not being involved in in fantasy football.

Honestly, I think if the undrafted guy gets the reins and runs with them, they'll treat him like a feature back.

If he only performs so-so, then it would likely be a committee approach.

His playing time will depend on his performance. And if the preseason is any slight indication, hopefully his performance will continue to be stellar. Edited by Robrain
  • Like 1

Not if you saw what he did in the preseason. And rest assured, the coaches saw what he did in the preseason. He was on the practice squad all last season, and made the team's 53-man roster at final cuts because of his awesome preseason.

The coaches know what they've got here.