FouLLine

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

Foster had like 600 college carries though, so there was a larger sample size to judge off. I am trying to think of a RB that got no run in college that became fantasy relevant in the NFL. Can anyone think of one? Closet one I think of is Priest Holmes who received only 252 rush attempts in college.

I'm trying to find one but can't either...

Powell could be a special breed, the first of his kind!!

I just can't believe the guy has 4 TDs in 23 carries and can't warrant more carries? I'm going to look deeper into this, I'm thinking he probably didn't even play the first half of the season?

So it looks like Powell played to start the season as the #2 RB. But got hurt after 9 games. I'll be back with an update.

I love watching these hype train threads.

I'll throw some cold water here- what reason is there for owning this guy over the following RB's?

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

What do they all have in common? They will all be fantasy worthless UNLESS the guy in front of them gets hurt. Not to say they don't have value, I own several of them. And inevitably some of the starters will get hurt, maybe Ryan Wiliiams is one of them. But this Powell dude is frankly at the bottom of the barrel in terms of backups I would want to own right now.

Now, neophyte Powell owners, lets start the attack on Wombat for dishing the haterade!

hunter battle bush and jacquizz all have potential roles in their offense/have produced already. toby/goodson/richardson are useless at the moment.

i'm torn between joique and powell myself ... joique is in a similar situation but better offense. and his name is joique.

Yeah I edited it, Quizz and Bilal Powell have paths to expanded playing time without injury. Battle could be a goal line back too, so those guys have potential value even without injury.

Edited by Wombat

Foster had like 600 college carries though, so there was a larger sample size to judge off. I am trying to think of a RB that got no run in college that became fantasy relevant in the NFL. Can anyone think of one? Closet one I think of is Priest Holmes who received only 252 rush attempts in college.

I just can't believe the guy has 4 TDs in 23 carries and can't warrant more carries? I'm going to look deeper into this, I'm thinking he probably didn't even play the first half of the season?

That would be pretty cool if he did. But it would be a pretty big longshot. But for those who like to gamble on RB injuries and stash backups he is a nice speculative add. I would pretty much leave it at that though.

Exactly. Basically drop your first drop to pick up Powell, if he doesn't do anything this week you could always drop him for whoever you need to pick up anyway.

It's a long shot, but it also comes at minimal risk. If you are afraid to drop the worst player on your team for a guy with this much upside, you are just shooting yourself in the foot, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'll throw some cold water here- what reason is there for owning this guy over the following RB's?

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

Sure this is a nice list. But you are failing to acknowledge the fact that these guys are all pretty much owned. Any competitive 12 team league just about all of these guys are rostered if not all.

That being said, none of these guys has the upside William Powell has.

So while you are coming in here with your "counter argument" you aren't actually realizing that William Powell can be had free of waiver priority at the expense of your worst player right now.

That is as cheap as a "lottery ticket" comes. Sure Powell's floor is a bit a ways from those guys, but his ceiling is much higher.

• Like 1

From his sophomore-senior year at arkansas, Peyton Hillis only had 140 carries, behind felix jones and darren mcfadden. So for those 3 years, Hillis had only 10% of the carries in that backfield. Looks like William Powell had a similar situation with Daniel Thomas

• Like 1

Cyrus Gray? Jordan Todman? Keith Toston? Nate Eachus? LOL come on, that should never be brought up in an argument for supporting a player. Preseason NFL rushing is almost completely worthless for analyzing..........

What do you think was the main evidence of Arain Foster breaking out a few years ago? He dominated in preseason. He wasn't the clear cut starter over Steve Slaton until right before the season started. But people were taking chances on him in fantasy drafts somewhere around the 5th - 6th rounds hoping he would win the job.

I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong. Yes leading the preseason in rushing should be taken with a grain of salt (I never said go draft William Powell) but leading in the league in rushing in the preseason can't hurt your chances. Especially when your average was around 6 yards per carry.

1 huge difference is foster was actually in the discussion to start the season as the RB1 for HOU throughout the the preseason. Powell meanwhile was behind the entire battery of RBs in ARI. so it isn't quite the samething

That would be pretty cool if he did. But it would be a pretty big longshot. But for those who like to gamble on RB injuries and stash backups he is a nice speculative add. I would pretty much leave it at that though.

Exactly. Basically drop your first drop to pick up Powell, if he doesn't do anything this week you could always drop him for whoever you need to pick up anyway.

It's a long shot, but it also comes at minimal risk. If you are afraid to drop the worst player on your team for a guy with this much upside, you are just shooting yourself in the foot, in my opinion.

I think you need to qualify the last sentence there. The two worst players on my team are, I guess, Kenny Britt and Donald Brown (12-team league). I had a lucky draft by waiting on a QB (RGIII) and TE (Bennett) and getting lucky with some other later picks (Cedric Benson and CJ Spiller). I don't think I'm shooting myself in the foot by not dropping Britt or Brown for Powell. I guess if I really believed in Powell, I could drop Brown for him, but I think THAT would be shooting myself in the foot by dropping a starter for a speculative backupl

From his sophomore-senior year at arkansas, Peyton Hillis only had 140 carries, behind felix jones and darren mcfadden. So for those 3 years, Hillis had only 10% of the carries in that backfield. Looks like William Powell had a similar situation with Daniel Thomas

and Thomas sucks, while DMC is arguably one of the best RBs in football and Jones was explosive, too bad Jones couldn't take a hit. so to use your comparison to Hillis coming out of college doesn't really work. and its not like Hillis is some world beater in the nfl either.

I was just telling my buddy who picked up Ryan Williams the other day that I got the real pick up with William Powell!

Hopefully this guy gets a good chance. The guy had insane averages in college (kick returns and yards per rush) and preseason. He could be one of those undrafted gems (similar to Arian Foster).

Hopefully he's not the next Felix Jones although if we got the production of a healthy Felix Jones, I guess that would not be a bad thing. I dropped Joique Bell for Powell in my dynasty league and I just saw someone post that they were conflicted over this move. First of all I don't like having to remember how to spell Joique (or Leshoure for that matter). Plus, Joique is one of those try hard, all heart, ordinary talent kind of players, which is fine, but Powell has more upside....allegedly......and could be a special back. I would rather stash a guy like that than Bell. Barring an injury/meltdown of the starter, neither guy is going to get much action. The high draft pick guys (see large $$$ investments) usually get the opportunities to start off. Also, I think if something happens to Leshoure they will dial up Kevin Smith into the starting lineup again like a 12 a.m. booty call. I think Powell has the better situation than Bell right now until Wells is healthy enough to play. Edited by pikerbkb

Cyrus Gray? Jordan Todman? Keith Toston? Nate Eachus? LOL come on, that should never be brought up in an argument for supporting a player. Preseason NFL rushing is almost completely worthless for analyzing..........

What do you think was the main evidence of Arain Foster breaking out a few years ago? He dominated in preseason. He wasn't the clear cut starter over Steve Slaton until right before the season started. But people were taking chances on him in fantasy drafts somewhere around the 5th - 6th rounds hoping he would win the job.

I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong. Yes leading the preseason in rushing should be taken with a grain of salt (I never said go draft William Powell) but leading in the league in rushing in the preseason can't hurt your chances. Especially when your average was around 6 yards per carry.

1 huge difference is foster was actually in the discussion to start the season as the RB1 for HOU throughout the the preseason. Powell meanwhile was behind the entire battery of RBs in ARI. so it isn't quite the samething

The fact that it isn't quite the same thing is made obvious by the fact that we are talking about picking the guy up as a lottery ticket in week 4. No one said draft the guy in the 5th round.

Powell is closer to consistent touches than you think. Stephen-Howling is not practicing right now, dealing with a groin injury. So it doesn't make sense to rush him back to be the RB2 when you have all this depth.

Alfonso Smith didn't do much last year, so why wouldn't you give the new guy who you kept on the roster a chance over the guy who was on the team last year but didn't do much? Especially after what he showed in preseason.

ARZ could have out right cut William Powell. The only reason they didn't is because they know he has tremendous upside. It's kind of like how The Patriots rostered Tom Brady back in the day. Yes I am aware it's not the same exact thing but similar logic.

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

Sure this is a nice list. But you are failing to acknowledge the fact that these guys are all pretty much owned. Any competitive 12 team league just about all of these guys are rostered if not all.

That being said, none of these guys has the upside William Powell has.

So while you are coming in here with your "counter argument" you aren't actually realizing that William Powell can be had free of waiver priority at the expense of your worst player right now.

That is as cheap as a "lottery ticket" comes. Sure Powell's floor is a bit a ways from those guys, but his ceiling is much higher.

1. They are likely owned, but in 12 teamers I think they are the type of guys that people have as the last player on their roster. My point is in order to add Powell, it comes at the expense of someone else and you don't have unlimited roster space. Hence, many people would have to cut one of those guys or a guy similar to them in order to add him. Deeper leagues where your cutting Lance Ball for him, yeah I can see it.

2. Why does this guy have more upside than all of those guys? I don't see that at all. Especially for someone like Kendall Hunter who could step into a run heavy offense behind one of the best O Lines in the league. And Hunter is a far superior running back by every indication we have. Or Joquie Bell in an offense that has made Maurice Morris fantasy useful? I think Powell's upside is actually at the bottom of that list, though I admit its pretty much a crap shoot.

I'm all for a lottery ticket, and I haven't done enough research to know for myself, but if this guy could be legit, why has he been on the absolute bottom of the depth chart? That's my only thing. I feel like a few other guys (even from that list above) have more legit shots at busting out and a couple might still be had for nothing.

I think you need to qualify the last sentence there. The two worst players on my team are, I guess, Kenny Britt and Donald Brown (12-team league). I had a lucky draft by waiting on a QB (RGIII) and TE (Bennett) and getting lucky with some other later picks (Cedric Benson and CJ Spiller). I don't think I'm shooting myself in the foot by not dropping Britt or Brown for Powell. I guess if I really believed in Powell, I could drop Brown for him, but I think THAT would be shooting myself in the foot by dropping a starter for a speculative backupl

Sure this all depends on your team. But 99% of the teams out there have a player who they are eventually going to drop. If you don't have a player who you are eventually going to drop then you should easily win your league and be deemed the luckiest fantasy football player in the world. No I'm not taking future injuries into consideration on this either.

But let's be honest. If your worst two palyers are Kenny Britt and Donald Brown then your team has to be stacked (10 teamer as well?).

Just seems a bit weird that your bottom two players are owened in 77% and 78% of Yahoo! leagues. What makes this even more strange is that I own both of these guys in 2 of my 3 leagues and I clearly drafted them both around the 9th - 10th rounds...

I would also suspect that it is extremely likely you are currently rostering 2 DSTs?... Possibly even 2 kickers? Otherwise your 10 team league uses a much smaller than standard roster size.

1 huge difference is foster was actually in the discussion to start the season as the RB1 for HOU throughout the the preseason. Powell meanwhile was behind the entire battery of RBs in ARI. so it isn't quite the same thing

Yes, Powell's situation is totally different than Foster's. Foster got a chance to start late in the season due to injuries. Powell has not had his chance to shine in the regular season plus Foster runs in a totally different system behind that amazing offensive line. If Foster was not in that system there is a very good chance we would not even know his name right now.

1. They are likely owned, but in 12 teamers I think they are the type of guys that people have as the last player on their roster. My point is in order to add Powell, it comes at the expense of someone else and you don't have unlimited roster space. Hence, many people would have to cut one of those guys or a guy similar to them in order to add him. Deeper leagues where your cutting Lance Ball for him, yeah I can see it.

2. Why does this guy have more upside than all of those guys? I don't see that at all. Especially for someone like Kendall Hunter who could step into a run heavy offense behind one of the best O Lines in the league. And Hunter is a far superior running back by every indication we have. Or Joquie Bell in an offense that has made Maurice Morris fantasy useful? I think Powell's upside is actually at the bottom of that list, though I admit its pretty much a crap shoot.

Let's just say hypothetically if all of these players were given RB1 status.

William Powell has shown the most big play ability. The more big play making ability a player has the more upside they have.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000051754/Powell-9-yard-TD-run

He breaks a tackle on a cut back and scampers into the end zone untouched. I don't care if he's going against the '85 Bears, those moves are insane. That cut back doesn't change much against many first string NFL defenses.

The announcer even says, "That kid has something, he has the X factor."

The fact that it isn't quite the same thing is made obvious by the fact that we are talking about picking the guy up as a lottery ticket in week 4. No one said draft the guy in the 5th round.

Powell is closer to consistent touches than you think. Stephen-Howling is not practicing right now, dealing with a groin injury. So it doesn't make sense to rush him back to be the RB2 when you have all this depth.

Alfonso Smith didn't do much last year, so why wouldn't you give the new guy who you kept on the roster a chance over the guy who was on the team last year but didn't do much? Especially after what he showed in preseason.

ARZ could have out right cut William Powell. The only reason they didn't is because they know he has tremendous upside. It's kind of like how The Patriots rostered Tom Brady back in the day. Yes I am aware it's not the same exact thing but similar logic.

except that the context what foster was regarding preseason performance to regular season performance. and the 2 situations have nothing in common. if you want to make an argument that powell is a lottery ticket because he may be getting carries behind a injury prone rb i'm fine with that. i view him as a lotto ticket just like every other RB playing behind a injury prone or under performing rb. but trying to make an inaccurate comparison is a disservice to everyone here.

as far as Powell having the most upside of

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

i'd have to disagree

Hunter is the one who by far has the most upside of those on that list

Rodgers certainly is right there with Hunter

Gerhart showed last year he is more than capable

the rest of these guys are probably on the same level as Powell

but again he is a lotto ticket, just stop steering the hype train out of control

has it been noted yet that powell was a walk-on ksu? moreover, he was a scout team player until his senior season. this guy's cv makes jackie battle and ryan torain look like jack welch

Anybody have the movie rights yet?

Invincible 2: Unpowellable

Edited by tucker26

except that the context what foster was regarding preseason performance to regular season performance. and the 2 situations have nothing in common. if you want to make an argument that powell is a lottery ticket because he may be getting carries behind a injury prone rb i'm fine with that. i view him as a lotto ticket just like every other RB playing behind a injury prone or under performing rb. but trying to make an inaccurate comparison is a disservice to everyone here.

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

i'd have to disagree

but again he is a lotto ticket, just stop steering the hype train out of control

Actually the two situations have a lot in common. I listed the common factors. One common factor implies you can't say they have nothing in common. Sure you're right about Arain Foster was a lot closer to RB1 duties than William Powell was. But you can't say they have nothing in common, especially not after we have already gone over this.

1. They both went undrafted.

2. Neither was the starting RB1.

3. They both lead the preseason in rushing.

4. They both had extremely high yards per rush in preseason.

Again you are getting upside confused with floor or realistic expectation. Kendall Hunter had 16 TDs on 271 carries at football power house Oklahoma State. If he has so much more upside than William Powell, how come William Powell ran for 4 TDs in only 23 touches??

Sure small sample size, but the TD per touch average is so insanely high that it can't be ignored. Upside is a lot more about averages than it is total gross numbers. The guy with the higher yards per run and TDs per carry you figure will out produce the guy with the higher gross numbers if given equal opportunities. That is how "upside" works.

Stop being argumentitve for no reason. Where did I steer this hype train out of control?

With my comment that you can pick him up free of waiver priority at the risk of your worst player? LOL

That is the bare minimum cost to roster a player. You fail to understand upside and value. I'm all for being told I'm wrong, but please bring some facts or value arguments not just Kendall Hunter clearly has more upside.

Also I never once said drop any guy on that list for William Powell. I'm saying drop your 2nd DST for whatever reason you have them rostered. Or drop that guy that will never sniff your starting lineup. Yeah those guys are on your team. Like I said before if your worst player is a guy off of Wombat's list then you are the luckiest fantasy football player in the world and should waltz into first place and your luck should carry you through the playoffs as well.

Kendall Hunter

Jacquizz Rodgers

Joique Bell

Toby Gerhart

Mike Goodson

Bilal Powell

Daryl Richardson

Jackie Battle

i'd have to disagree

Actually the two situations have a lot in common. I listed the common factors. One common factor implies you can't say they have nothing in common. Sure you're right about Arain Foster was a lot closer to RB1 duties than William Powell was. But you can't say they have nothing in common, especially not after we have already gone over this.

1. They both went undrafted.

2. Neither was the starting RB1.

3. They both lead the preseason in rushing.

4. They both had extremely high yards per rush in preseason.

Again you are getting upside confused with floor or realistic expectation. Kendall Hunter had 16 TDs on 271 carries at football power house Oklahoma State. If he has so much more upside than William Powell, how come William Powell ran for 4 TDs in only 23 touches??

Sure small sample size, but the TD per touch average is so insanely high that it can't be ignored. Upside is a lot more about averages than it is total gross numbers. The guy with the higher yards per run and TDs per carry you figure will out produce the guy with the higher gross numbers if given equal opportunities. That is how "upside" works.

when did 4 things become a lot. i'll give you the first 2 you listed and quite frankly they are insignificant similarities. lots of rbs aren't the rb1 going into camp. as a matter of fact there are only 32 who can call themselves rb1. so it isn't a big accomplishment if you aren't in that group. he has a lot of company. and the same with going undrafted, plenty of guys go undrafted. to use either one of those to try to tie him to foster just shows how weak the rest of the argument gets

and as for foster being undrafted. it was due to a number of outside factors. he got hurt his senior year. the opinion of him was that he was a headcase and uncoachable, and then he had a bad combine and pro day

is that what happened with powell too?

as far as leading the preseason in rushing, i think you'd have to put it into context for it to mean anything. i don't remember who foster was running against that preseason but i'd imagine it wasn't the 5th string waterboy brought into fill out camp, since even very early in camp it was mentioned he could be competing for rb1, he would have seen much better competition.

i don't have floor and upside confused. Hunter is running for the best team in the NFC West, by most accounts a superbowl contender. and in an offense that is geared for running. and it isn't like Hunter is a slow plodding rb either, powell is going to run for a team that has a great defense and from what i have read a pretty weak running game and oline.

i get that powell is a lotto ticket and there are plenty of rb lotto tickets out there. i'm all for grabbing as many as you can fit on a roster. but the campaign to overhype with inaccurate comparisons and hyperbole only serves to mislead

Stop being argumentitve for no reason. Where did I steer this hype train out of control?

With my comment that you can pick him up free of waiver priority at the risk of your worst player? LOL

That is the bare minimum cost to roster a player. You fail to understand upside and value. I'm all for being told I'm wrong, but please bring some facts or value arguments not just Kendall Hunter clearly has more upside.

Also I never once said drop any guy on that list for William Powell. I'm saying drop your 2nd DST for whatever reason you have them rostered. Or drop that guy that will never sniff your starting lineup. Yeah those guys are on your team. Like I said before if your worst player is a guy off of Wombat's list then you are the luckiest fantasy football player in the world and should waltz into first place and your luck should carry you through the playoffs as well.

you are overhyping by trying to tie him to foster, when there is nothing to tie to. which then gives has everyone thinking number 1 rb in fantasy football.

and then putting him as more upside than guys like Hunter who are thought as some of the top handcuff/sleeper rbs coming into the year

as far as that list goes. outside of Hunter, Rodgers and Gerhart the others could have been had off the wire prior to week 3. so it wouldn't be that hard for one of those guys to be the worst player on a roster. hell even if you drafted Hunter or Gerhart it wouldn't be hard for one of the them to be the worst player. and it would have nothing to do with luck

At first I thought this was just another hype thread but then I looked at Ryan Williams stats. Has lost two fumbles already. That is the only way I see him losing his job.