Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2Balls

The "i Play In 16 Team Nfc North Only League...i'm Cool" Thread

I'm not sure why you get so much more of this on the football board than the others, but I figured since so many are flooding player pages, strategy threads, etc. with talk about their league size, and how it's better than others, I figured we could allow those posts to come here and use the player threads to...oh, I don't know, talk about the players.

First, I'd like to start by laughing at the notion anyway. I play in a 16 team, a 12 team, and a 10 team each year (and often sprinkle in a few more). Going deeper into the player pool does not mean your league is better, or even tougher. I just had my 16 team draft. Got Foster, J.Graham, J.Julio with 1st 3 picks, and still got Rivers at QB. I'd take that in my 10 team! Quality of managers is weak in this league (I'm in it for the constant money flow), which is way more important than league size.

The other reason larger league =/= tougher is because there are different challenges, not easier or harder ones. One thing you hear about 10 team leagues is "everyone has all-star teams." While you might say drafting is easier (so easy a toddler could do it!), doesn't that make week-to-week decisions tougher? I enjoy my 16 team league draft. I get to grab my "deep sleepers." But guess what? Once the season starts, my others are more difficult to run. Why? Because in a 16 team league I'm starting Rivers every week. No better option. If you have S.Ridley, you're starting him every week. No better options. In my 10 team league, you may have Rivers/Ben, or Ridley/T.Richardson, and really have to study matchups to decide who to start.

So with so many nuances/strategies, there is no "easier or harder," especially when you factor in league mates. But if it makes you feel better and you must continue with the "OMG, like does anyone ever play 10 team leagues anymore? LOLz N00Bs!!" than this is the place for you! Post away, and leave the player threads to discuss the players.

I often find myself wondering if the deeper league really (say, 16 teams, since that is the example you cited and I'm drafting in one next week) is a better reflection of who is a better player. Obviously, there is only so much you can do if the draft is a snake draft and the WW is usually bare.

I often find myself wondering if the deeper league really (say, 16 teams, since that is the example you cited and I'm drafting in one next week) is a better reflection of who is a better player. Obviously, there is only so much you can do if the draft is a snake draft and the WW is usually bare.

Hitting on some sleepers late, maybe. But as you say, you can only take what's available to you in a snake draft.

Uhm...more teams = thinner player pool thus more strategery involved.

OP does not compute.

I noticed you mentioned something about picking up awesome players with your first 3 picks..... Perhaps join a real league?

Thank you for this thread. Now all the fist-pumping brahs have a place for their p*ssing contests.

I drafted in a 16 team league last year and this year. I hardly think I'm elite because of that I don't look down on others because they "only" draft in 10 team leagues. I think that perspective is silly. Anyway, I agree that there is only so much one can do in a snake draft. You hit the nail on the head about the waiver wire. It's bare and we have small benches to begin with in my league. You basically have to hope you are the first one to jump on a player who's role changes significantly or capitalize on someone's mistake or desperation when they have to drop someone on a bye week. It isn't a trade heavy league either and honestly once players start getting injured in this league, most owners are screwed.

Uhm...more teams = thinner player pool thus more strategery involved.

OP does not compute.

I noticed you mentioned something about picking up awesome players with your first 3 picks..... Perhaps join a real league?

Thinner pool does not equal more strategy. Just different strategy.

As for that league, no thanks. In it to make $$. But that's my point. 16 team =/= better.

But you threw out the "join a real league." Bravo, sir! This is the thread for you.

I play in a 10-team professional money league...Larger leagues do not require more skill, just more luck that the scrubs you have on your bench end up being starters

Deeper Leagues = more difficult to draft

Shallow Leagues = more difficult in picking who to start on a week-to-week basis

Personally I don't waste my time with any 10 team leagues.

There is more strategy and research needed in 12 team leagues. You can auto-draft a 10 team and come out looking great. The waiver wire is stocked with more players so trading isn't needed as often.

Boy the notion that "no one cares about your league" is really true. First and last post in this thread.

Not true. I actually think posts like "I got him in the 3rd round in my 10 team draft last night" can be very informative to those preparing for their drafts.

It's the corresponding "people still play in 10 team leagues? Go join a real league" response that is of no value.

So now we have a spot for that post. You see it in player thread, you link them here so they can pound their chest about how sweet their league is compared to yours.

On a half-serious note, I wonder if there are actual NFC-only or AFC-only leagues out there. It's a hugely popular style of play for baseball, but I don't think it'll catch on for football.

On a half-serious note, I wonder if there are actual NFC-only or AFC-only leagues out there. It's a hugely popular style of play for baseball, but I don't think it'll catch on for football.

Haha I've been playing awhile and never heard of one. In baseball its because they're different leagues (fantasy baseball started before interleague play) and different rules. Can't see a reason why to do it in football.

I think it's a combination of weak managers/small leagues. It usually arises when people come on a thread offering non-helpful advice like "I got Graham in the bottom of the 7th round, so lucky he fell to me!" as if that will fly in a normal league. That automatically suggests you're playing in A: a league with horrible managers or B: A very small league.

I agree this thread needs to exist. Either that or admins need to start reprimanding people for some of those posts.

I play in a 10-team league. We tried to expand to 12 this year but every option we had to join backed out 3-weeks prior to draft and we couldn't find a 12th. Eventually we told our 11th they couldn't play only to have one of the remaining 10 drop out 3 days before the draft. Lucky for us that 11th was still willing to play.

For the most part, I think my league is competitive. We have a few guys who kinda suck but at least they don't make stupid trades. We had a guy last year who you could call extremely competitive to the point of cheating who is no longer in the league this year.

So many factors exist that you could pretty much say, unless your league is filled with full-time sports analysts your league probably sucks.

I think it's a combination of weak managers/small leagues. It usually arises when people come on a thread offering non-helpful advice like "I got Graham in the bottom of the 7th round, so lucky he fell to me!" as if that will fly in a normal league. That automatically suggests you're playing in A) a league with horrible managers or B) a very small league.

I hear ya. But I think a "with an ADP of 15, that won't fly in most leagues. You're extremely lucky to get him there" response would be just fine.

I think 12 team is perfect size. It's not so thin you are drafting turds and puking in your mouth by midway point, but also requires you to do a little research to know who to draft and put together a good team.

I have done bigger leagues and they can be fun but if I could only do one league I'd want a 12 teamer.

I think it's a combination of weak managers/small leagues. It usually arises when people come on a thread offering non-helpful advice like "I got Graham in the bottom of the 7th round, so lucky he fell to me!" as if that will fly in a normal league. That automatically suggests you're playing in A: a league with horrible managers or B: a very small league.

I hear ya. But I think a "with an ADP of 15, that won't fly in most leagues. You're extremely lucky to get him there" response would be just fine.

That was just an exaggeration. But you see posts with unrealistic scenarios all the time, which is why you hear the "I would love to be in your league" comments. I actually rarely hear people talk down on 10-team leagues, however. They usually make jokes about 4-6 team leagues.

What a silly thread... Of course larger leagues are harder. I don't know how anybody can refute that.

"Oh I have to choose between starting Ahmad Bradshaw & Kevin Smith *boohoo*"

"Oh I have Donald Brown, a starting RB, on my bench. What a waste."

Worst of all nobody cares either way. Most people play smaller leagues because they aren't comfortable or don't know enough about FF. To think that smaller leagues are 'Hard' is laughable. I play in a plethora of leagues of all sizes to trully run the gamut and I can unequivocably state that the larger leagues require more skill, a better depth of knowledge, and are more challenging.

...Brah where you going? I was in the middle of a cool story...

What a silly thread... Of course larger leagues are harder. I don't know how anybody can refute that.

Worst of all nobody cares either way. Most people play smaller leagues because they aren't comfortable or don't know enough about FF. To think that smaller leagues are 'Hard' is laughable. I play in a plethora of leagues of all sizes to trully run the gamut and I can unequivocably state that the larger leagues require more skill, a better depth of knowledge, and are more challenging.

Great. Welcome. Just keep telling us what a great fantasy player you are, in the toughest of leagues, here and keep it out of the other threads.

Thank you for coming, and you're awesome!

Great. Welcome. Just keep telling us what a great fantasy player you are, in the toughest of leagues, here and keep it out of the other threads.

Thank you for coming, and you're awesome!

Thank you. I feel better now.

Serious question though... Why would anybody post anything of the sort in any other threads?