Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2Balls

The "i Play In 16 Team Nfc North Only League...i'm Cool" Thread

On a half-serious note, I wonder if there are actual NFC-only or AFC-only leagues out there. It's a hugely popular style of play for baseball, but I don't think it'll catch on for football.

Someone mentioned they were in an "all white players" league. I thought that was pretty cleaver.

I'd give an NFC or AFC only league a whirl, wth.

On a half-serious note, I wonder if there are actual NFC-only or AFC-only leagues out there. It's a hugely popular style of play for baseball, but I don't think it'll catch on for football.

Someone mentioned they were in an "all white players" league. I thought that was pretty cleaver.

Lol. I wonder what John kuhns adp would be.

10 team leagues can work. I was in a league that had like started 2 QBs had 2 flexes, and had 20 player bench which pretty much cleaned out the waiver wires. But for standard and public leagues, the waiver wire is pretty much which flavor ice cream you want.

What a silly thread... Of course larger leagues are harder. I don't know how anybody can refute that.

"Oh I have to choose between starting Ahmad Bradshaw & Kevin Smith *boohoo*"

"Oh I have Donald Brown, a starting RB, on my bench. What a waste."

Worst of all nobody cares either way. Most people play smaller leagues because they aren't comfortable or don't know enough about FF. To think that smaller leagues are 'Hard' is laughable. I play in a plethora of leagues of all sizes to trully run the gamut and I can unequivocably state that the larger leagues require more skill, a better depth of knowledge, and are more challenging.

...Brah where you going? I was in the middle of a cool story...

Great. Welcome. Just keep telling us what a great fantasy player you are, in the toughest of leagues, here and keep it out of the other threads.

Thank you for coming, and you're awesome!

Thank you. I feel better now.

Serious question though... Why would anybody post anything of the sort in any other threads?

Not sure, but they do. I'm guessing they think it gives them "Board Cred," like others think "Woah, that guy's in some serious leagues. He knows what he's talking about."

I just find it irritating and tiresome as I try to read threads for valuable info about players and draft position. Thus, the start of this thread.

Lol. I wonder what John kuhns adp would be.

Yeah you could definitely wait on QBs. Think Welker and Hillis would be 2 of the top picks. Maybe you'd have to include O-line in that league and include "Pancake Blocks" as a stat, just so you could fill rosters.

What a silly thread... Of course larger leagues are harder. I don't know how anybody can refute that.

"Oh I have to choose between starting Ahmad Bradshaw & Kevin Smith *boohoo*"

"Oh I have Donald Brown, a starting RB, on my bench. What a waste."

Worst of all nobody cares either way. Most people play smaller leagues because they aren't comfortable or don't know enough about FF. To think that smaller leagues are 'Hard' is laughable. I play in a plethora of leagues of all sizes to trully run the gamut and I can unequivocably state that the larger leagues require more skill, a better depth of knowledge, and are more challenging.

...Brah where you going? I was in the middle of a cool story...

I can't say anything about 8-team leagues because I've never played in one but in 10-team leagues things can be tough. Sure you can have a nice starting roster and a bench that could all start in 12/14-man leagues. But you need to know what is going on and pay attention from week to week. So-and-so is being covered by badass CB or double teamed by a great duo meanwhile an inferior player on your bench is playing a cupcake defense. If you are just sitting there with your best players in the lineup chances are your going to lose.

In 10-man leagues dud performances have a major impact on your roster. This is coming from the guy who had Mike Wallace and Vincent Jackson as his two starting WR's last year. They both putup stud games I win by 50 points, they both have dud games I lose by 50 points, ones a stud and ones a dude and it can be a coin flip.

Last year I had a decent team that all just happened to click seperatly at different times throughout the season. Meanwhile people with inferior teams manage to have the stars align and get breakout games that rival my breakout games and you can finish a season 5-8.

Any way you look at it this game is about luck and it's about doing research and going with your gut. It doesn't matter the league size because if your going into super deep leagues where your drafting guys who might put up 0 points or 5 points a week and everything is spread around equally doesn't make a league more or less competitive.

What makes a league more or less competitive is the quality of the players running the teams. You get 10 guys who put in 20 hours of research a week prior to the draft and know who their going to go for and your league is going to be competitive even if it is only a 10-man league.

Judging by all this hate I see for 10-man leagues most people who moved up to 12-16 teams needed that crutch of more drafted players because their league mates suck.

Pro-tip. Anyone can print out ESPN top 200 sheet prior to draft and put together a team no matter the format. Hell, we had a chick a couple years ago who did exactly that and because of the quality of players she managed to choose of the list by names she liked the sound of she made playoffs (but finished in 4th because she had a lot of injuries and didn't know what she was doing beyond that).

The point is, the game is luck based no matter the league size. It isn't any harder or easier based on the number of players in the league but instead the quality of the players themselves.

If you want hard then fantasy football is probably the wrong game for you since the invention of the internet. I think if I were you I'd try my hand at russian roulette.

It's not that complicated guys. Larger league does not directly (or even indirectly) translate into "easier". Larger/deeper league means you need to know about more players (guys who have marginal value in smaller league), but if people think that it's defacto "easier" to draft a good team in a smaller league you're either fooling yourselves or full of it. The specifics of what knowledge is more important varies, but understanding and implementing strategies to be successful isn't dependent on league size.

The measure of a team's strength is only through comparison to other teams in that league. What makes a league difficult or easy, first and foremost, is the quality of managers. Good managers can make a 10-team draft tough and bad managers can make a 16-team league easy.

For example, when people talk about how they got Forte or RunDMC in the 3rd round (even of a 10 team league, assuming scoring settings are "normal"), it speaks to the quality of managers in that league.

Judging by all this hate I see for 10-man leagues most people who moved up to 12-16 teams needed that crutch of more drafted players because their league mates suck.

To say a league is full of morons to fill the necessary deeper, 16 teams is completely ridiculous -- my league consists of just about the same original 16 owners (actual friends) we started with over a decade ago. All of which are extremely knowledgable and take it ultra serious, to the point there are physical altercations. Plus, I doubt any of them are just willing to put their $265 league fees up without knowing exactly what they're doing.

Why hasn't this been merged with the "Cool Story, Brah Thread?"

We have one of those for this year, don't we?

Deeper leagues aren't harder. Every owner is in the same shallow boat. Deeper leagues are more luck-dependent. If you lose your RB1 in a 10-team league, you can pick up a replacement and recoup 75% of the lost production. If you lose your RB1 in a 14-team league, the best replacement will score 33% of the lost production. 10-team league champions drafted well. 14-team league champions drafted well and stayed healthy.

Source: playing in 10 and 14 team leagues for the past six years.

Why hasn't this been merged with the "Cool Story, Brah Thread?"

We have one of those for this year, don't we?

Yes.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/291774-2012-cool-story-brah-thread/page__hl__cool+story__fromsearch__1

And the explanation in the OP of the original version defines the concept nicely.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/207146-the-official-cool-story-brah-thread/

To say a league is full of morons to fill the necessary deeper, 16 teams is completely ridiculous -- my league consists of just about the same original 16 owners (actual friends) we started with over a decade ago. All of which are extremely knowledgable and take it ultra serious, to the point there are physical altercations. Plus, I doubt any of them are just willing to put their $265 league fees up without knowing exactly what they're doing.

You're league mates get into physical altercations over fantasy football and you don't think their morons?

You're league mates get into physical altercations over fantasy football and you don't think their morons?

Agree in that regard. However they know what they're doing when it comes to Fantasy Sports.

It all depends on how serious and knowledgeable your league mates are. If everyone's serious and not mailing it in then all types of leagues can be equally competitive.

If you play in a money league, you do not want your league mates to be knowledgeable or competitive. Just need them to pay promptly

I don't think it matters the league size. It's all about the quality of the owners. In every format it's about picking the best player available to you when it's your turn to pick. The ease or difficulty of getting an edge with each pick is fully dependent on how well or poorly your leagemates pick ahead of you.

And as awesome as this thread is, can we also have a separate thread for, "This guy is awesome cuz he's on my team and your guy sucks cuz he's not on my team!" thread?

I think it all falls under Cool Story, Brah...

I'm in a 32 team league that starts QB, RB, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, DL, DL, LB, LB, DL/LB, DB, DB, DB.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, where should I draft Brett Keisel?

Just show me the money...Don't care how many owners are in a league as long as there is a cash payout...Free leagues are for beginners...

Both big leagues and small can be easy or difficult.

10 teamer: Your team is full of all-stars. Guess what? So is everyone else's.

16 teamer: You're very boom-or-bust. Let's take last year as an example. You drafted Charles. s---. But? Someone else took Vick round 1. Mendenhall. CJ2k. Round 2 wasn't much prettier: Hillis, Rivers, Manning, Felix Jones, etc etc etc. You'd be hard-pressed to find one team that wasn't hit by the injury bug or holdout/uselessness/Madden Curse issues. Say you were lucky and drafted Rice and Brees, and snagged Jimmy Graham late. Now all these other teams with questionable first-rounders are easy Ws for you in the season. But if you took Johnson and Hillis as your starting two RBs, you were probably nowhere near the playoffs. (of course you still certainly probably did, and a CSB story will possibly be replied to this post, but the ODDS of you doing well with two bust picks in rounds 1-2 in a league that deep are slim)

Both arguments have validity. I think it's a bit ignorant for both sides to say one league type is better than another. You can dominate a 10 teamer if people in your league are idiots and reaching for crappy RBs when there's a goldmine of WR depth. You can destroy people in a 16 teamer who are drafting players who are clearly on the decline a round early. You can also easily be on the other end in both formats. It's an entirely different game when you add that much variance.

Deeper leagues aren't harder. Every owner is in the same shallow boat. Deeper leagues are more luck-dependent. If you lose your RB1 in a 10-team league, you can pick up a replacement and recoup 75% of the lost production. If you lose your RB1 in a 14-team league, the best replacement will score 33% of the lost production. 10-team league champions drafted well. 14-team league champions drafted well and stayed healthy.

Agreed. A larger league may make for a harder draft, but once the draft is done, you're pretty much in fate's hands. Get multiple injuries and your season is done because of the dearth of free agents. Smaller leagues have easier drafts, but having everyone with strong teams means you still have to manage effectively.

Agreed. A larger league may make for a harder draft, but once the draft is done, you're pretty much in fate's hands. Get multiple injuries and your season is done because of the dearth of free agents. Smaller leagues have easier drafts, but having everyone with strong teams means you still have to manage effectively.

Easy fix for that...small bench size. 2-3 bench spots keeps the ww viable

I play in 16 teamers and I do think that makes me cooler. Step your game up and play in big boy leagues.

I play in 16 teamers and I do think that makes me cooler. Step your game up and play in big boy leagues.

You da man, kgizzle!

And as awesome as this thread is, can we also have a separate thread for, "This guy is awesome cuz he's on my team and your guy sucks cuz he's not on my team!" thread?

THIS!!

I wanna get into the conversation. I am pretty much cooler than all you guys. My main leagues buy in is $1,000. Yep its a 10 team league. I also play in a 16 teamer so I am pretty cool. Just Sayin