Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savatage79

How Do You Personally Evaluate Or Put Together Trades?

So i bring this up because, ive been around the same leagues of fantasy since about 01....and i play with guys that really dont have fun and explore the trade option. Its like nobody wants to roll the dice or everyone thinks their team is so awesome they dont need to trade, or everyone is so terrified that oh no maybe so and so is getting the better end of the trade.

I feel as long as it isnt barbaric trades like saying "heres my Rashad Jennings for your Ray Rice", which im sure is obvious.

But i dont know, im always envious of the guys that seem to be in leagues where people trade and have some fun.

So just curious when you guys trade, what are your criteria? How do you personally go about evaluating good trades?

You really just have to notice your team's strengths and weaknesses. Look for teams that need something that you have and is expendable.

I saw someone who had weak RBs while I have Beanie Wells on my bench and I need a TE while he had 2. You just have to see what you need and someone has and vice versa.

Yea that's how I go about it as well. It's just amazing how nobody in leagues im in has fun with trading.

I review each draft in each of my leagues. Grade the teams drafts from best to worst. I go after the draft I rated "worst" and try and pick at the dumb and unprepared owner. I shop my big names (Chris Johnson) and try and get a safer name + some (Shady and Gates). It's just easy pickins every year.

I love making trades, you just have to open up talks with guys and throw out that you want so and so, who would they want? Or make a starting offer and see where it goes. I try to make sure all my starting spots are either secure, or have really strong pieces. If I have excess players, I try to package two middling guys for a little bit better player and a scrub. I don't ask for studs for middling players it's insulting.

Try not to jump at the first counteroffer even if it's reasonable, if they want to make a trade they'll come around. If it's a no brainer then do it.

After my draft I really wished I had an elite TE, so I shopped around asking if I could trade Michael Turner and Fred Davis together for Gronk, Graham, etc. Graham, Gronk, and Hernandez owners didn't want to give up their studs. I found the Gates owner was lacking RB's and he had three TE's, we ended up agreeing to a bigger deal.

Just gotta talk/message people.

trading with unprepared/unskilled owners isn't a talent like NoClowns just stated. If you have people like that in your league, feel free.... I just don't play in leagues with those kind of owners.

Real trading in competitive leagues involves both parties taking risks. People who trade to "win trades" are bad trade partners and bad fantasy players. You trade to make your team better, if it ends up winning the trade.... bonus.

I whole heartedly agree with FDW about looking at team's strengths or weaknesses. That's the only way it should work when you deal in competitive leagues. If I get offered Kendal Wright for my Ray Rice..... I don't get mad.... I just decline it. What really bothers me is when I have a team with Graham and Cook and only have 1 TE spot and someone offers me their Gates for my Fred Jackson or something.

Look at what teams need. It's incredibly hard to do 1:1 trades when basically no games have been played. People aren't going to trade guys for someone they could have gotten in the draft over the guy they are giving you.

My approach is rather simple...Evaluate my roster and determine where I need help...I then review all the rosters and find a team with a lot of depth in my area of need...Offer that team a position they need where I have depth...

I review each draft in each of my leagues. Grade the teams drafts from best to worst. I go after the draft I rated "worst" and try and pick at the dumb and unprepared owner. I shop my big names (Chris Johnson) and try and get a safer name + some (Shady and Gates). It's just easy pickins every year.

If you can actually trade CJ for Shady and Gates, you need a better league.

You beat up on noobs and that makes you think your good?

There's a few ways I generally go about it.

Putting trades together...

1. I'm always trying to buy low and sell high. These trades you can't really offer a feeler trade for because it starts to look suspicious, other teams start thinking, why is he trying to trade this guy off to me? And why does he want my player so bad? So you have to offer good value banking on the fact that you're getting the better player to entice the trade.

2. If I have a specific need (x) I try to trade what I have a surplus of (y). I'll look for a team trying to trade position X who could use position Y.

3. If I know I have a player that a team(s) like a lot on my team I try to see if I can get them to over pay for said player.

Evaluating Trades...

1. At the beginning of the season ADP is fairly important to me. As if that player A truly is better than player B why wasn't he drafted in the same vicinity? But the faster you see through ADP flaws and into the truth (situation, talent level, upside compared to floor) the better deals you can get on players.

2. I compare last year's points to this year's projections. I try to figure why this year's projections are higher? 2nd year player? 3rd year player? Better situation? (New QB, new and better offense, centerpiece in the offensive scheme now?). If the point projections are fairly close and both teams needs are met, then it's a good trade.

3. I always take risks on guys I like. If some guy I ended up taking because my hand was forced goes off I'll trade him for an under valued player who I like. Just because I enjoy the gamble and know if it doesn't work out I'll always play the waiver wire well enough to make up for it.

Its called a feeler trade. You never offer what you're actually willing to give up first. But you also don't offer a trade so bad that it's insulting. Generally if you want to get deals done you have to be the one on the riskier side or over pay a bit.

This.

I also tend to pursue the best talent available. For example, even if I have 3 top tier RB and I have no WR depth outside of, let's say, Larry Fitz. I'll trade Fitz for a top tier RB and flip my weakest RB for a strong WR.

Always target the best player in the trade.

Good trades are ones that make your team better, and makes your trade counterpart's team really better

Exactly. Sometimes people get so caught up in getting that big money lottery trade where they rip off their opposition that they lose sight of what is actually fair.

If the trade isn't gong to benefit the team you're trading with you're wasting your time. But it is always fun to try for those trades because every now and then you do get them. But you can't go into every trade opportunity expecting trades like that.

Good trades are ones that make your team better, and makes your trade counterpart's team really better

Exactly. Sometimes people get so caught up in getting that big money lottery trade where they rip off their opposition that they lose sight of what is actually fair.

If the trade isn't gong to benefit the team you're trading with you're wasting your time. But it is always fun to try for those trades because every now and then you do get them. But you can't go into every trade opportunity expecting trades like that.

I hate when I offer a simple 1 for 1 trade or 2 for 2 trade and I get countered and all of a sudden it's a 5 for 5 player deal.

I'll always take a look just incase it is a good deal for me, but in my 10+ years of fantasy sports it never has been.

It really just ends up pisses me off. I'll write them a message something along the lines...

I drafted and went after those 5 guys because I like them. Yes I am willing to trade 1 or 2 of them to you because I need to help my team. But I don't plan to upgrade you in 3 other positions after trading those 2 players because you have trouble understanding fairness.

But I've learned messages like those generally make people not want to trade with you. So I've learned to try and just let it go and later take out the anger my my girlfriend!!

Any good sites to use for a trade analyzer? I know Fantasy basketball has BBM, which breaks down the value and shows the stats comparison. I'm waiting till after week 1 before I start getting trades out. You potentially could trade this year's Cam Newton before he even plays -_-

Well one of the reasons i brought this up was because i actually pulled off a trade, i know the dude and thats why we made the deal because we were talking about it a good bit...but i got an email from someone that just thought it was such a bad trade and they didnt like it etc...

I gave Turner/Washington for Forte/Garcon.

The league was set up for a 2 day veto, nobody else really had an issue with it. And the backing for it i thought was a good trade, I have Michael Bush so i wanted Forte.

He is a fan of Turner and has been rolling Turner for years he said, even though Quizz is there, he just felt that the TD scenario was still going to be for Turner, plus he likes how healthy Turner generally is.

But the thing is, i realize where Forte is ranked...and yes it seems i got the better end of the deal, but i mean i cant stop the guy from liking Turner, right? He wasnt a huge Forte fan for the fact that Forte doesnt get the endzone carries and is more PPR/Yardage.

It wasnt a huge deal, but i felt the trade was close to being fair. I gave up Turner, so its not like i gave him some bum for Forte, and i still feel Turner got some burning left to do.

Trades cant be pound for pound the same. You have to go off what someone sees value in, i have Bush so i see more value in Forte than Turner, he always has drafted Turner and enjoyed the two back to back 1300 yd seasons and the fact that Turner hasnt had under double digit TDs since being a Falcon.

I don't ask for studs for middling players it's insulting.

|

|

|

V

After my draft I really wished I had an elite TE, so I shopped around asking if I could trade Michael Turner and Fred Davis together for Gronk, Graham, etc. Graham, Gronk, and Hernandez owners didn't want to give up their studs. I found the Gates owner was lacking RB's and he had three TE's, we ended up agreeing to a bigger deal.

OpoQQ.jpg

Well one of the reasons i brought this up was because i actually pulled off a trade, i know the dude and thats why we made the deal because we were talking about it a good bit...but i got an email from someone that just thought it was such a bad trade and they didnt like it etc...

The league was set up for a 2 day veto, nobody else really had an issue with it. And the backing for it i thought was a good trade, I have Michael Bush so i wanted Forte.

He is a fan of Turner and has been rolling Turner for years he said, even though Quizz is there, he just felt that the TD scenario was still going to be for Turner, plus he likes how healthy Turner generally is.

But the thing is, i realize where Forte is ranked...and yes it seems i got the better end of the deal, but i mean i cant stop the guy from liking Turner, right? He wasnt a huge Forte fan for the fact that Forte doesnt get the endzone carries and is more PPR/Yardage.

It wasnt a huge deal, but i felt the trade was close to being fair. I gave up Turner, so its not like i gave him some bum for Forte, and i still feel Turner got some burning left to do.

Trades cant be pound for pound the same. You have to go off what someone sees value in, i have Bush so i see more value in Forte than Turner, he always has drafted Turner and enjoyed the two back to back 1300 yd seasons and the fact that Turner hasnt had under double digit TDs since being a Falcon.

that's a fair trade. not sure why the guy would draft forte in rd1 or 2 if he wanted to trade him away for turner before the first game but hey it's his team/strategy. i made a similar type trade a week ago. can't really understand why the guy accepted it, but it's not like i didn't include some useful players that could be better..

OpoQQ.jpg

In a non-PPR Turner still has 2nd to 3rd round value to me, I drafted him in the 2nd round a month ago in this league.

A top 15 RB and a top 10 TE still has value. In a PPR league Turner's value goes way down.

You can't please everyone I guess, some people on here thought I got hosed in my Gates trade.

For the record, I ended up trading Michael Turner, Fred Davis, and Jake Locker for Beanie Wells, Antonio Gates, and Matt Schaub. I then flipped Beanie Wells (who I didn't care for) for Pierre Garcon. I'm happy with the end result.

that's a fair trade. not sure why the guy would draft forte in rd1 or 2 if he wanted to trade him away for turner before the first game but hey it's his team/strategy. i made a similar type trade a week ago. can't really understand why the guy accepted it, but it's not like i didn't include some useful players that could be better..

I think it was moreso him going with what was considered the pick to make, but after we got talking about it he was like i wouldnt mind having Turner since he is more of goalline back. And so we proceeded from there.

But the thing is, he still has imho a monster team. He has Stafford, White, Jennings, Pettigrew, Turner now, Kevin Smith....not a bad crew at all, so i felt overall that it was pretty fair.

OpoQQ.jpg

In a non-PPR Turner still has 2nd to 3rd round value to me, I drafted him in the 2nd round a month ago in this league.

I'm not saying the trade is unfair, but no, Turner certainly does not have 2nd or 3rd round value in the real world and I don't know what to say if you took him in round 2, that's insane.

What you're doing is exactly what you said not to do. You're trying to trade 2 middling player for one stud. I thought it was ironic and saw a great place to work in my favorite meme. :P

I personally always try to trade 2 middling players for one stud. I usually try to pair a solid guy who's "safe" and a high upside guy to get a stud from a team with serious depth issues, such as what you offered. Although personally I wouldn't touch Turner with a 10 foot pole specifically. I think he has 800 to 900 yards and maybe 10 TD's max written all over him at best.

OpoQQ.jpg

I'm not saying the trade is unfair, but no, Turner certainly does not have 2nd or 3rd round value in the real world and I don't know what to say if you took him in round 2, that's insane.

What you're doing is exactly what you said not to do. You're trying to trade 2 middling player for one stud. I thought it was ironic and saw a great place to work in my favorite meme. :P

I personally always try to trade 2 middling players for one stud. I usually try to pair a solid guy who's "safe" and a high upside guy to get a stud from a team with serious depth issues, such as what you offered. Although personally I wouldn't touch Turner with a 10 foot pole specifically. I think he has 800 to 900 yards and maybe 10 TD's max written all over him at best.

Okay, well you and me have a different opinion on Michael Turner is all. I still think he's a lock for at least 1100 yards and 10 TD's.

I luckily was able to get Ahmad Bradshaw in round 5, so I didn't mind sacrificing him to upgrade to Gates at TE, who I think is going to be great this year.

Personally, i just dont know how or why some have turned on Turner so quick. Hes had 1300 back to back seasons with over 10 TDs every season.

I get that Jizz is there, i get it. But Turner is only 30, im not saying hes going to have 1700 yds, but i dont think 1000-1100 is out of the question.

Plus if Rodgers gets hurt, falls back on Turners hands.