Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savatage79

How Do You Personally Evaluate Or Put Together Trades?

When I try to trade,I try and find a weakness on the other team and try to fill it with my strengths. For example, on my team 2 in my signature, completed a trade with AP owner for DeAngolo Williams because I had Toby Gerhart. In another league, there was a Seahawks fan who wanted Seattle players so I gave him Sidney rice for Mark Ingram, who I am pretty high on this year. I also traded Kendall Hunter in that same league for Toby Gerhart where I am the AP owner.

What I hate the most is "the guy" who just lets the trad sit there with no comment at all. Or the guy who goes to the messageboard to trash the trade you made. Or the guy that thinks that Vick Ballard is the bestest player ever and how dare you try to trade Michael Vick for him! Just don't have any time to play with douchebags like that.

How do you guys evaluate trades with injury prone players in it, like Darren McFadden? I have a trade on the table, and I don't want to say it because this isn't the Assistant Coach forum. I've always had trouble with injury risk players like McFadden, who could also put up top tier numbers when healthy. What do you make of those type of guys?

Depends on whether you're trying to acquire them or someone's requesting that player from you.

If you're trying to acquire him, you obviously price him at a discount compared to what his projected price would be if he didn't have injury question marks to go along with him. You reference his injury history.

If someone's trying to get him from you, you reference his upside, and trade from that position.

Then it's up to you to decide whether or not you're comfortable with the value you're getting (or giving up) on the other side of the trade.

Anyway, beating dead horses and whatnot at this point so I'll leave the discussion in this thread for everyone else.

The problem with lowball offers is it makes it seem like you're not actually interested in the player at fair value - but only interested in the player if you can rip the other guy off. Sometimes it works and you do rip the other player off, but I agree with southerSteeler in that I find emails to be better feelers than offers if the other owner isn't stupid.

A bad offer signals one of two things to me:

1) you just want to rip me off, in which case a trade is not going to happen

--or--

2) your valuation of my player is much lower than my own valuation of said player (or you value your players more than I value them), in which case a trade is not going to happen

So why waste time with a counter offer?

Don't get me wrong Robrain, I send lots of offers too (and lots of horrible offers as feelers), but I never expect real counter offers on my feeler offers. On my serious offers I dislike it when people don't respond, but I think sometimes people don't trust my trades even if they are fair since I've ripped my friends off so many times before.

But Robrain is right in that sending out tons of offers gets tons of trades. Last year I turned Reggie Wayne into Megatron through a series of four trades, and this was after Megatron had some huge weeks and Wayne was obviously a dud. Just have to send enough offers out and find somebody who is high on one of your guys or low on one of theirs.

But that's the issue, any trade someone dislikes could be taken as a lowball offer. When the other person truly feels value in the player.

Unless its totally off the wall.

If there's no interest at all then I understand no counter. But if there's interest, I dont see punishing someone in a round about way to where someone wont make a counter because they didn't like the original offer.

I don't see it as punishing somebody. I see it as, if you get an offer that you feel is way too low, then that signals that a trade probably isn't going to happen - so why waste your valuable time countering?

If I send you an offer of Romo for Foster right now, would you really bother countering? I would guess probably not, and not because you're offended and want to punish me - but because you realize that a trade is almost certainly not going to happen.

It seems like we basically agree since we both think "no interest" = "no counter"

We just disagree in that I think if you look at an offer and think it's a really bad offer that you're probably not interested; even if it is actually a fair trade and you're just delusional about your player's worth.

Well what i mean is that if someone is willing to trade, and maybe you see something you like to see whats up and make an offer.

What im getting from this and maybe im wrong is that if someone makes an offer you, or someone in general doesnt like, that someone basically thinks their offer was so bad they dont deserve a counter perhaps that might be of interest.

If thats the wrong perception then thats fine, but thats how im seeing it.

I think sometimes just having someone that is willing to deal is nice to see, and then even if the initial offer sucks, then explore other options perhaps.

Personally I always send a message about a player I am interested in before actually sending an offer. Its more "professional" in my opinion, and that way we can avoid anyone getting insulted by just sending out some random crap as a feeler. For example I messaged another manager about Dez Bryant yesterday, seeing if he was interested in working out a trade. He pretty much said no because he knew he overvalued Dez and it would take a trade in his favor to give him up. So we went our separate ways and are still on good terms for making deals later in the season.

I like to send out a generic "trade with me" email as soon after the draft as possible. After that when I get a response I send out a list of players I want from their team and tell them to do the same. Generally the people who respond the quickest care the most and know the most. If you don't engage with talks with me I will probably send out a feeler offer but generally not for a superstud player right away. If they decline or counter then I will tell them I am interested in a stud player they might have. Most people don't have patience to sit down and get a deal done and even more people don't have needs that match up so really it is hard to do.

I honestly spent a couple days going back and forth with a guy who just moved to the other side of the country and we didn't reach an agreement. Then I sent out one single offer (which actually was very similar to one of the scenarios me and the other guy talked about. He had Ray Rice) and ended up trading for Arian Foster so there is no real set way to go through it.