Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misterj

Ersan Ilyasova 2012-2013 Season Outlook

I'm considering Ilyasova as one of my keepers in a league as there were stretches during the last season in which he was incredibly effective. I'm just wondering what some of the community thoughts are on him gong in to this year, and if you think he's going to be able to develop into a more consistent threat this year.

Thoughts?

I think very highly of Ersan. He will get a huge mins boost as the starting PF this year. He's a 2nd tier keeper but a solid choice. Very possible for him to average 16/10.

I really like his game, solid all around and doesn't hurt you in any areas. My only concern is with the minutes. The Bucks roster is roughly the same as they were last year and added Henson in the draft. However they did give him a nice contract this summer. If he can get 33-34 min a game, I bet he finishes as a top 35-40 player in both 8-9 cat leagues.

I really like his game, solid all around and doesn't hurt you in any areas. My only concern is with the minutes. The Bucks roster is roughly the same as they were last year and added Henson in the draft. However they did give him a nice contract this summer. If he can get 33-34 min a game, I bet he finishes as a top 35-40 player in both 8-9 cat leagues.

It's not just Henson. Adding Dalembert and Przybilla in the offseason means less minutes to go around at C for Gooden and Udoh, meaning they'll be manning PF more often than not. As a result of that, Ilyasova will have less minutes at the PF. All of this is discounting their young forwards like Henson and Harris - the latter of which I've heard great things about, and also lighted up the Summer League, as well as the veteran forwards like Dunleavy and Mbah a Moute.

Ultimately though, I think Ilyasova will still get enough of a minute boost from last year to provide an improvement from last year, simply because of the monster contract Milwaukee is paying him for, as well as his potential he showcased last season.

Ballsohard is right about the log-jam at the 4/5 spots. I have 2 points regarding this

A- Ilyasova is simply a better player than them all, and generally speaking, coaches find ways to get their best players 30+ mins a game

B- Can Ilyasova get minutes at 3? He can definitely play the 3 offensively, but might not be quick enough to guard opposing SF's? I think he's also a better scorer than both Dunleavy and Henson.

Yeah you guys voiced some of my concerns, mainly the glut of players Milwaukee has at the same position. I figured given the minutes he'll produce, it's just a matter of him actually getting the minutes :s I think I'd be happy with him as a choice if he could get those 30+ minutes..

I'm also considering guys like Gordon Hayward, Jeff Teague, and Isaiah Thomas instead of Ilyasova to go with my other 3 keepers (Paul, Westbrook, and Josh Smith), but Hayward is on a team with plenty of other options in Jefferson, Millsap, and Favors, Teague now has Harris behind him, and Thomas is stuck on SAC who's coach drove me insane last year and now Brooks has showed up :\

I've been struggling with this for a while, and it's only recently I've started to lean more towards Ilyasova. Thoughts?

Out of those 4 guys its Ilyasova by a long shot. There should be plenty of PG depth this year and neither Teague or IT are consider top notch PGs at this point. You could probably get either of those guys back with the 2nd-3rd FA pick you got. You already have Paul and Westbook so its not a position of need regardless. I imagine Illy would get drafted in the first round of your FA if you let him go.

Out of those 4 guys its Ilyasova by a long shot. There should be plenty of PG depth this year and neither Teague or IT are consider top notch PGs at this point. You could probably get either of those guys back with the 2nd-3rd FA pick you got. You already have Paul and Westbook so its not a position of need regardless. I imagine Illy would get drafted in the first round of your FA if you let him go.

I agree with this. Ilyasova is on a completely different level from those three other players. Teague comes second but he's no Top 50 talent like Ilyasova. I have my concerns about Thomas and I've already highlighted them on another thread. Hayward has so much potential to be a great fantasy asset with his versatile skills, but Utah has had a glut at the wing for a while now. While they lost Howard and Bell from last season, they gained Williams and Foye this season. Burks is a rising player as well.

I really appreciate the input guys. I think I'll probably end up keeping Ilyasova cause I won my league last year and therefore I'll have the last picks in the draft, and as it's been pointed out it doesn't seem as though I'd be able

to get him back by drafting him. I'll just have my fingers crossed that he's getting his minutes on that team :)

As a side note, I will never cease to be amazed at the fact that a guy can go

from being a late-season waiver pickup to projected top 50 for the next season :P

So Teague is second on those list of guys you listed no question, but what are your guys thoughts on IT vs. Hayward? I know they're apples & oranges in terms of position but if you had to pick one to keep?

So Teague is second on those list of guys you listed no question, but what are your guys thoughts on IT vs. Hayward? I know they're apples & oranges in terms of position but if you had to pick one to keep?

Hayward. More versatility, eligible in a shallow position (SF).

They should be draft around similar ADP, so depending on your positional needs. Im a lot higher than most on IT, great percentages at the PG position.

As a side note, I will never cease to be amazed at the fact that a guy can go

from being a late-season waiver pickup to projected top 50 for the next season :P

Opportunity my man..one of the biggest factors in sports..and numbers...Ersan should have all the opportunity in the world this year..he is really their only scoring big..

Opportunity my man..one of the biggest factors in sports..and numbers...Ersan should have all the opportunity in the world this year..he is really their only scoring big..

Drew Gooden.

Drew Gooden.

yeah true..but he still isnt as versatile as Ersan..Ersan can spread the floor with his long range jumper..they just gave him 45MM over 5 yrs.. ..he is going to play any way you slice it..

yeah true..but he still isnt as versatile as Ersan..Ersan can spread the floor with his long range jumper..they just gave him 45MM over 5 yrs.. ..he is going to play any way you slice it..

Definitely agree with you on that point. I really hope Skiles doesn't manage to screw things up though.

I see him and Batum as being the most likely breakout candidates this year.

Why does he need to break out, he already did (I mean Ersan).

I see him and Batum as being the most likely breakout candidates this year.

Why does he need to break out, he already did (I mean Ersan).

Perhaps this is a difference of terminology. I mean that he has not yet peaked. He was certainly good last season, but not for the full season.

I am really high on Ilyasova. His 45% from 3pt-range last year is ridiculous, and I wouldn't be too surprised if he takes a Kevin Love-esque jump in threes this year.

Personally I am considering him over Eric Gordon as my final keeper because Gordon's knees scare the hell out of me. Thoughts?

Ilyasova is an easy choice over Gordon...I am also considering keeping him in my auction league...He definitely came on strong in the 2nd half of the season last year and should produce at a high level this year...

Ilyasova is an easy choice over Gordon...I am also considering keeping him in my auction league...He definitely came on strong in the 2nd half of the season last year and should produce at a high level this year...

At the same time, Eric Gordon's potential to become one of the top scorers in the league is very tempting... there's just too many unknowns with both his knee and Illy's minutes. These guys are ranked similarly in Yahoo, so I can't make up my mind on who to keep.

I love Illy's game, the only thing holding him back is Scott Skiles. I don't know about a Kevin Love style jump, but I can see him averaging 17pts, 10 rebs 1/1/1 with solid FG% & FT%

In 41 games as a starter he averaged 14-9 with a three and almost a block a game. On that crazy Milwaukee team i wouldn't feel comfortable underwriting a scoring average of 17 ppg. Everyone not named Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings are going to be limited by their ball dominant ways. Very few third scorers in the nba average 17ppg. It is especially tough for me to see anything above 15ppg considering the collective impact of skiles, the type of offense and the presence of 2 major chuckers. I love Ily as a player but I was praying he would sign elsewhere like Minnesota, Houston or Washington.