Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRanker

2012 Rotoworld Championships - Basketball?

I'm testing the waters here to see if there's enough interest to get a basketball version of the Rotoworld Championships going. The basketball forums are far less frequented than baseball or football so we'll see if we can get enough for a league. Anybody who's in the football league knows what this is about, but for those who aren't, I'll explain:

There are a few things left to be determined (which will be determined by the votes of those involved), but it will be a 9 category, redraft league hosted on ESPN.

No money is on the line, just bragging rights. The league is intended to only include active posters of the Rotoworld forums. We want people who will be posting on the forums all season long so the league has as many familiar faces as possible.

I will post the updated standings after every week in these very forums for everybody and anybody to see and comment on. If you’re as good as you think you are, then come and prove it.

Depending on how many people are interested, this may be only one league or it could be several concurrent leagues. I will form the leagues around how many owners we have signed up, not the other way around. So we will have an infinite number of sign-up spots available. If we get enough owners interested that we can create multiple leagues, the plan is to carry the leagues over to next year (and beyond) creating a hierarchy of interconnected leagues. The owners who finish at the top of their league this year will play in League A next year, and so on. For example, if we have 24 owners interested, there will be two 12-team leagues this year. The owners who finish in the top three of League B this year will play in League A next year. The owners who finish 10-12 in League A this year, will play in League B next year. The bottom league every year following this year will consist of the bottom feeders and newcomers. The longterm goal is to work your way up and win League A.

Depending on how many people we have interested, we may not accept members with less than a certain amount of posts. No disrespect to anybody with only a few posts, but one of the keys in making this league fun is that it involves posters that are all active and are more likely to be known by the others in the league.

If you join this league, please make the commitment to remain active in the forums and in the league throughout the season (especially the league). You do not need to commit yourself to next year’s league, but please don’t quit on the league during the season.

If you do not join the league this year, you may join next year. However, if we do have enough people interested to start multiple leagues, you may need to start at the bottom and work your way up to League A. Because we can have an infinite number of leagues, sign-up will remain open until the end of the month.

There are a few things that we have yet to hammer out. So for anybody who wants to provide input on the following, it would be appreciated:

-The draft date and time. I am tentatively throwing out Saturday, September 29th. This is not set in stone and if this time does not work for you, please let me know ASAP so we can figure out a date and time that works best for everybody.

-Snake or auction draft? I find auctions to be the most fair and fun, but this will be a democracy and whatever receives the most votes will be the type of draft we do.

-Head to Head or ROTO? If you choose H2H, do you want category scoring (where you can go 5-4 in a week) or winner take all (where you can only go 1-0).

-Free agency determined by a waiver list or FAAB $$$? I personally find FAAB to be the most fair way of picking up free agents as you won’t miss out on a player because you’re too low on the list. You will only miss out on a player if another owner bids more than you. However, most leagues use a waiver list where the owner at the top gets priority and the person at the bottom can only get the player if nobody else puts a claim on them. Again, how free agency works will be decided by a majority vote.

If you're interested in joining, respond to this thread indicating so or PM me.

If you have any questions or comments, please ask me here or feel free to PM me.

Hey im interested in the league im only new to rotoworld but i check lots everyday.

I would like H2H categories and i like auction drafts

Warriorzzz, no offense but you don't post enough to qualify for this league. I'm looking for established forum posters only.

RotoRanker, I'll respect your league requirements, however, are you going by people who simply "post" more than others, or going by how long one has been affiliated with the rotoworld forums?

- Armand

RotoRanker, I'll respect your league requirements, however, are you going by people who simply "post" more than others, or going by how long one has been affiliated with the rotoworld forums?

- Armand

Mostly post count, but I don't want someone who has a lot of posts but is still new to Rotoworld because I think they might leave the forums soon and then they would have no incentive to be active in the league. At the same time, I don't want owners who don't post a lot. That's the most important part to me and is what will make this league fun (since it's a free league with no prizes, I need a reason for people to want to join and stay active all year). I understand this makes it a bit hard to get in (though there are thousands of Rotoworld users who fit my criteria), but hopefully this makes it more special than just letting everybody in.

patentboy23

Well i dont post much here on Rotoworld, you can find me mostly at the Fantasy Basketball Cafe forums where i have been posting for the last several years. Im in a league with some of the more well known posters at FBC, so im always looking for competition. However i have been checking the forums here frequently the last couple years. Altho i usually just read the topics instead of responding, if more posting is a requirement to be in the league then thats fine with me. I know your requirement is to be an active poster from Rotoworld, but i am an active poster...just on another site lol. Are there exceptions?

Well i dont post much here on Rotoworld, you can find me mostly at the Fantasy Basketball Cafe forums where i have been posting for the last several years. Im in a league with some of the more well known posters at FBC, so im always looking for competition. However i have been checking the forums here frequently the last couple years. Altho i usually just read the topics instead of responding, if more posting is a requirement to be in the league then thats fine with me. I know your requirement is to be an active poster from Rotoworld, but i am an active poster...just on another site lol. Are there exceptions?

The RotorowlNo. But that That's a good question and gives me an idea.

Fantasy Basketball Cafe is a great site with some great posters. It would be fun to have a competitive league filled with posters from both Rotoworld and FBC. And it doesn't look like I will be able to get enough posters from just Rotoworld to create a league.

So with that being said, I propose a new idea called the "Rotoworld Challenge". The idea is to create a basketball league featuring both posters of Rotoworld and Fantasy Basketball Cafe (minimum posting requirements would still apply).

Since we are quickly running out of time to get this organized and only one person voted, we will go with that person's votes. It will be a H2H categories league (9 cat) hosted on ESPN with a snake draft. Since nobody objected, the draft will take place on Saturday, September 29th with the exact time to be determined at a later date (it will be in the evening). Nobody voted on the free agency rule yet so that is still up in the air.

So with that being said, now I just have to ask the Rotoworld posters. Does that idea sound intriguing? There's three of us already signed up (though I won't count those as official unless they say it's okay because I did just make a big change). Jay can represent the FBC side. I will now go over to FBC and create a thread to see if others are interested. Jay, if you want to respond to my thread with confirmation that you are in, that would be a great start.

Okay Jay, no problem. I did create the thread I mentioned however and am waiting to see if there is interest on their side.

I would really be interested in joining. H2H, snake. I know more basketball than football by far but I think football is catching up.

That gives us five.

To update on the status of Fantasy Basketball Cafe, no members from there have expressed interest. There's still time, but it's not looking great at this point.

I would like standard 9 category scoring. I feel it is more accurate and fair to reward when a team wins big and when they lose big. If people want Roto, I would be fine with that. I kind of don't like H2H playoffs because even if one finishes with a bye week, they could lose to a team that barely made the playoffs in the 2nd or final round. I feel roto would be better in that regard. Lets say a team dominates the regular season but loses in the playoffs because of injuries, players not playing, etc. One year I lose a competitive league because Lebron James didn't play 3 out of 4 games in the championship round.

Could a waiver system based on rankings work? For example a team that is last place will get the first waiver while the team in first will have the last priority? It doesn't seem like a bad way to order things but it assumes everyone is putting forth their best. I think FAAB is a good way as well since sometimes on waiver you end up having a low priority for a long time.

Regarding time, would something such as 9pm EST work for everyone? I think in the evening works best but everyone's time zones could mess up the time. I am in the east coast.

I would like standard 9 category scoring. I feel it is more accurate and fair to reward when a team wins big and when they lose big. If people want Roto, I would be fine with that. I kind of don't like H2H playoffs because even if one finishes with a bye week, they could lose to a team that barely made the playoffs in the 2nd or final round. I feel roto would be better in that regard. Lets say a team dominates the regular season but loses in the playoffs because of injuries, players not playing, etc. One year I lose a competitive league because Lebron James didn't play 3 out of 4 games in the championship round.

I agree with that 100%. I feel roto seems to require more skill, but h2h is just more fun to most people. H2H is a different skillset (working the waiver wire at end of year, keeping tabs and who will rest or not), but its based on who basically has the better week at the end of the year. If you were to look at the top 25 fantasy players last 2 weeks of last season, youll see names that dont belong there.

If you do 9 or 8 cat roto snake, then ill be glad to join.

Rotobanker, how is the progress on the league going? I think Roto would better than H2H. Maybe Roto without Turnovers such as in ESPN standard.

We only have five people right now (unless binhdvu83 is willing to do a H2H snake draft league, which would give us six). I'd say we need at least ten (we can go higher than ten, but not lower). The draft is this Saturday so we need to get the other five people signed up quickly or there simply won't be able to be a league. Although the draft can be moved back, I don't want to keep people hanging so I say the deadline to sign up is Wednesday evening! If there are enough people signed up by Wednesday night, I will send out the invites. If there aren't enough people, I will post that there is no league. We will know in less than three days if there will be a league or not.

It will be a H2H league with a snake draft. As for the draft time this Saturday, we can work that out later but 9EST/6PST works for me. Anybody opposed to this time, please say so.

Sorry I have a few H2H leagues already, just looking for 1 Roto league.

Well here's what I'll do. I'll leave this thread open for people to join whenever they want. The season starts October 30th so we need the league filled by the 29th. But I would rather people join much sooner so we can get this sorted out. If we cannot get enough people, there simply won't be a league. If we can, then there will be.

If anybody wants to tell us times and dates when they cannot draft, that would help greatly.

i am interested...I do not know how many people look here in the league finder service.

I saw your name up on the right side by the listing in Fantasy basketball home part and randomly clicked..

We have to figure out how to get the word out and get everyone signed up so I decided to just paste a link in my signature to promote the league. Maybe everyone else should do the same to get this thing going.