Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cross1420

Cecil Shorts 2012 Season Outlook

148 posts in this topic

Looked for a thread on this guy but could't find one so here one is.

Jacksonville is thrying to air it out more. With MJD making teams so worried about the run can really help this team do that. Blain Gabbert looks decent and jacksonville has a chance to win a couple. Does this guy have a chance to climb the wideout ladder and maybe see more snaps in the future?

Cecil Shorts: Cecil Shorts played just 15 snaps

Cecil Shorts - WR - JAC - Sep. 11 - 9:05 am et

Cecil Shorts played on just 15-of-78 snaps in the Jagaurs' Week 1 loss to the Vikings.

Shorts was somehow targeted seven times and posted a 4/74/1 line despite his meager playing time. Still, this paltry usage is a warning flag for waiver-wire hunters. Despite some chemistry with Blaine Gabbert, Shorts is the fourth or fifth option in the offense for now. Sep. 11 - 9:05 am et

Maybe as a stash. Even then, I don't even know if he's worth it. While he may pass Mike Thomas on the depth chart, no way he passes Laurent Robinson or Justin Blackmon, barring injury. And in the event that he does happen to pass them, he still has Blaine Gabbert throwing to him.

If you're in need of a deep sleeper WR that's probably still on the wire, check out Donald Jones on BUF.

Deep dynasty leaguers (like myself) should take note. I doubt that he makes an immediate impact, but he is a real talent and has good chemistry with the modestly improving Blaine Gabbert. I bid on him in my dynasty leauge, but unfortunately I play with a massive Jags fan so it's unlikely I'll land him.

Deep dynasty leaguers (like myself) should take note. I doubt that he makes an immediate impact, but he is a real talent and has good chemistry with the modestly improving Blaine Gabbert. I bid on him in my dynasty leauge, but unfortunately I play with a massive Jags fan so it's unlikely I'll land him.

I'm buying, this guy got tons of love from Gabbert. I think his continued focus on improving his pocket awareness may be leading him to targeting his slot and TE a lot, hence them both getting TDs. Don't forget Min has a great Pass rush with Allen, so this may not be repeatable but getting targeted 7 of the 15 plays your in, and catching more than half where one is a TD. Hes def a buy on the WW if you need a Wr4

Coach Mike Mularkey said he might find ways to get Cecil Shorts more involved in Week 2 and down the road.

Shorts played just 15-of-78 snaps in Week 1, but was highly productive with four catches for 74 yards and a touchdown. He also outplayed current No. 3 receiver Mike Thomas for much of training camp. A depth-chart change sooner rather than later would not be a surprise.

Starting to build value in deeper leagues...

This guy should be able overtake Mike Thomas shortly. He took advantage everytime he was on the field.

I got no idea what happens down in Jagsland, but is this dude legit? Week 1 and 3 look solid on paper, Robinson is hurtin...is he worth a pickup?

His catch last week was on a hugely busted play by the Colts' safety. Gabbert is still probably the worst starting QB in the league, which limits Shorts' ceiling. Shorts gets free on that play, Gabbert hits him on that throw, and suddenly Gabbert has the "clutch factor" according to Jaguar fans. Gabbert was awful the whole game, and won't be starting in the NFL two years from now.

Yea that is about all i know with the Jags outside of MJD being a freak.

The only thing though is week 1 Shorts looks to of had a decent week as well, looks like Thomas got absolutely nothing for points this year.

The most productive WR on the field (scored more TDs than any WR this season - two) who gets the least amount of snaps, even with Robinson out on injury.

Mularkey is a step up from flag football. :rolleyes:

He's the official sponsor of Nerf Football. :D

Has someone told him about Cecil yet? I'm pretty sure Blaine must be begging for more Cecil snaps.

I have Shorts in my dynasty hoping he takes off by the end of the year. Imagination gone wild, but it could happen.

1 person likes this

Cecil might be the best WR on Jaguars but still e has the least amount of snaps?

I just don't get it.

Cecil Shorts is expected to start opposite Justin Blackmon when the Jaguars come out of their bye.

It sounds like the Jaguars don't expect Laurent Robinson (concussions) back anytime soon. Mike Thomas had been starting in his place, but Shorts is significantly more explosive after the catch. "He's taken advantage of the situations we've put him in and made some big plays," coach Mike Mularkey said. Shorts is only on the extreme deep-league radar thanks to the the Jaguars' anemic passing attack.

I guess this doesn't means much since Gabbert is throwing to him?

Coach Mike Mularkey confirmed that Cecil Shorts will start Sunday's game against the Raiders.

There's no timetable for Laurent Robinson's return from multiple concussions. By getting Shorts on the field instead of Mike Thomas, the Jags will give Blaine Gabbert an explosive playmaker after the catch. In extremely limited playing time through five games this season, Shorts has posted eight catches for 205 yards and two touchdowns. There's a little stash-and-see appeal here for extreme deep-leaguers.

Raiders are poor against pass, so Shorts might be worth a pick up.

Gonna start Shorts in my 16 team league this week. He'll probably get me no points but maybe he'll get a long touchdown again. That'd be cool.

Shorts now a full time starter.

Shorts leads the Jaguars receivers in yards and is tied with Marcedes Lewis for touchdown receptions, but has played the least, leading many to ask why that's the case.

"Yeah we worked Cecil Shorts over at the X position these last couple days," Jaguars head coach Mike Mularkey said on Wednesday. "He’s been over at the Z since really the beginning of OTA’s so we’re just trying to get him comfortable at that other spot. It is different and he’s got a lot of work over there."

http://www.bigcatcou...s-wide-receiver

HC says as long as Robinson is out Shorts will play. Worth a roster stash, IMO.

Starting him in my dynasty league for the first time with piss poor WR options. Let's see what the kid can do in Robinson's old spot where he was essentially the WR1 of the team (hint,hint)

Blackmon owners are still lost in the sauce :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

I too am starting Shorts this week in a dynasty league with poor WR options. Bowe is my #1, with him on bye I'll be rolling out Shorts, Cobb & Avery. FWIW Shorts has made 3 of the 4 big pass plays for the Jags this year. HC says they are going to give Shorts a chance to make some plays this week as a starter. I'm rolling the dice.

Good job Dunder, looks like we were one of few on planet Earth who started Shorts this week =)

1.8% owned in ESPN, only 0.8% started. Not hard to see Shorts is an excellent deep threat when Gabbert decides to play well.

Good line today early. Looked pretty good before Gabbert injury. He was definitely getting the targets. Worth a bench spot.

Shorts is looking more and more like a WR3, end is the defacto WR1 in Jacksonville (sorry Blackmon).

Worth starting over some other guys with the right matchup

Considering starting Shorts over Bowe with Woodson out at Green Bay and Jennings as the lead RB in Jacksonville.

The Quinn/Bowe connection looks pretty crappy. Especially when its against the 2nd worst pass defense in the league.

1 person likes this