Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stevethoms13

Monday Night Strategy

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Didn't see a topic on this anywhere and I figure it fits under the "strategy" category, but am I the only one that absolutely HATES not having a player go on Monday night? It's even worse when your opponent has someone going and you don't and you just have to hope to hold on. Yes, I know it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things since everyone gets the same about of players each week. To me i just equate it to a security blanket, or a gleam of hope. Anyone else feel the same??

I agree. I love having players go on Sunday/Monday night. I rather be the one in control (even though none of us technically are) than to have to hope to hold on. It's very stressful the other way around. Especially when you're up by 10-15 while your opponent still has a stud left to go.

Yeah I have Matt Ryan going Monday and my opponent has no one. It will be a good feeling knowing he will still go Monday in a potential shootout with Peyton.

I really love guys going Monday nights, but I also feel that Monday is a higher pressure game with the whole world watching 1 game. In high pressure games a lot of the time defenses have the upper edge it seems for whatever reason so at the same time it could be a negative. Look at the defenses last night against two high powered offenses and the highly defensive superbowls.

I'm on the east coast, so would love not having to worry about Monday night so I can get some shut-eye. Sunday night is bad enough! But I have to admit, going into last Monday night down 18 and watching AJ and Justin Tucker chip away and overtake my opponent and his Torrey Smith made for a great night! Nothing better than fantasy and Ravens win in the same game!

I came back to win last Monday night from McFadden and Rivers.

I'll probably lose this week because my opponent has Ryan, Jones and Decker.

I have Tony Gonzalez but i hate that as well. for the lose.

On the flip side, knowing you need X number of points and watching the time tick away is infuriating/depressing

Yeah this happened to my cousin this week. Watching the game, 99-103, had Gates I think it was. Slowly creeping up, 100, 101, 102, 103... ends in a tie. Man that is tough. I think he needed 3 more yards to take it.

To me it just feels like a trump card in a close game. Of course it really depends who you have, but let's say for the sake of argument this week comes down to my julio jones playing monday night vs no one. i will feel pretty confident if its anywhere near 10-12 points i need.

Yeah, I like having the late games. Feels like I got an edge. Hate going against someone who has a player going late when I don't. Almost always lose when that happens.

I like having the better players who will score more. If I have that, I could give a damn when they play.

I would never make a lineup decision just because it gives me a Monday night starter.

1 person likes this

I can see it now, "Benched Aaron Rodgers for Jake Locker because the Titans play Monday. I got this."

Having no one on monday night is kind of like playing defense in football. It can be demoralizing because on almost every play you lose ground. Whereas when you have that monday night guy, it's like you're on offense. Every forward play is like a boost of hope and makes you more optimistic about your chances.

But like others have said, there is no strategy to this. It's purely psychological to feel like theres an edge to have night game players.

I like having the better players who will score more. If I have that, I could give a damn when they play.

I would never make a lineup decision just because it gives me a Monday night starter.

THIS

Yeah, I'm not sure where the term "STRATEGY" fits into any of this discussion so far; it's more like "I like seeing my guy play on Monday."

The only real way there can be (logical) strategy that takes into account when games are played is if your opponent's roster finishes all in early games, and you have a roster decision to make between a guy playing Sunday night with a high floor and low ceiling, and a guy playing on Monday with a lower floor but higher ceiling. Either way, it's a very small probability scenario that this occurs perfectly. I agree that I like catching up/surpassing/building my lead on Monday rather than holding on for dear life, but the best STRATEGY is to play your best players.

I agree MNF is just a mental thing, the players get an extra day of rest which is good and the coaches have more time to prepare (which gives the good coaching staffs more of an advantage than they already have) but all in all it's just mental where feel like have an ace in the hole.

These early Thursday night games, though, are a different beast. We all saw the giant POS last night, neither offense could get it in gear at all after the short week, think this'll put any teams with new coaches/systems are a real disadvantage. And injuries are more of a factor too, Jennings probably would have gone for GB if he'd had a normal week to recover, while cause of ThurNF Balt are playing 4 games within 17 days this month, big injury risks there. Maybe something to watch for during the first month of the season, a lot of teams don't hit stride till week 3 or 4, these early year Thurs games might/already have made predicting stuff even tougher than normal.