Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savatage79

How Well Do You Take Losing In Fantasy? Be Honest!

69 posts in this topic

So I bring this up mainly because the ongoing thing with my wife, and my cousin is how she cant stand us around football season anymore.

A few things that i will say, as much as i love fantasy, i dislike it though because its made me look at football different. I used to sit and curse the heavens when my Steelers lost, and these days if im against Ben and Brown, or Wallace etc...its made me want them to do bad, and those are things that i simply do not like and am working on big time, because it has hurt my enjoyment of football in general....but not enough for me to quit fantasy.

But last year, i was going out of my mind and the reason was there were 2 leagues that i was in contention of winning it ALL. And that was some serious cash, so i was insane last year with how i would take losses or when players did bad, seriously my wife was like pissed at me because i was just not fun to be around even though i did end up winning both leagues in the end.

But ive come into this year with a mindset of, i simply cant control it. I won big bucks last year, i cant expect it every year so im just trying to roll with it...and enjoy football again, and less worry about getting so pissed when my players dont do well.

Anyone else have to adjust themselves with fantasy? Or do you guys just take it as is, and say it is what it is and its no big deal?

How do you personally handle it?

1 person likes this

I take it personal. Especially when I get beat by the guy not checking his team or making moves. And I'm there busting my @$$ to put a good line up together. I try to remember its all luck when that happens but its hard

2 people like this

What gets me is when someone autodrafts and doesnt set lineups, yet still wins. That just burns my a**, same thing...when you are busting your a** to make the solid setups and lose, just takes everything to not want to punch a hole through a block of titanium.

You sound about the same way I feel.

But if my winnings take my wife and I away for a weekend, she rips up the divorce papers.

As far as really getting pissed off goes, the only thing that really kills me is when I don't stick to my guns and get burned.

I l ike to play in deeper leagues to prevent myself from losing solely because one player on his team blew up and one player on my team puts up a near a goose egg. At least it lessens the chances of flukiness determining the win.

After that, I take losing pretty well. I talk a lot of s--- when I win, out of jest but when I lose I can take it. It is what it is. I was the #1 seed heading and in the semis last year in both my leagues and lost. What can you do. No reason to actually be mad. I hate when people get mad and say "my team was better you got lucky". It's a lot of luck involved. This isnt real football. The better team is even less likely to win in fantasy then in real football.

Put your best effort on and thats that. The only time I remotely get emotional in fantasy football is when something dumb determines the win... like your QB kneeling a micropoint away that costs you the match or if Westbrook takes a knee at the 3 instead of scoring. Outside of that..... its just a crap shoot. Maybe your team was a 70:30 favorite.... its always a gamble.

Winning or losing a fantasy football matchup has no baring on how you are as manager. It's how you do over time.

1 person likes this

Depends on the situation of the loss, but I mostly play in a work league so s--- gets real. Bragging rights is a big deal.

Horribly. My league is with friends and it is very serious lol. s--- talking goes to the max and often very personal haha. If I lose it ruins my week and I can't wait for the next week.

I'm disappointed for a few minutes or so, and then move on. You guys need more hobbies or something.

Like building model ships in a glass bottle with a tweezer. That kind of thing?

3 people like this

LOL, funny you mention this because I had to do a reality check with myself as I my blood pressure would boil on sundays these last few years because of fantasy. What I find helps is not checking my stats during the games. I mean, besides checking to see if someone is playing at 3, why else should we look? It's fking torture! Now I just sit back, enjoy a few beers with friends, and watch the games. Then, after the 3 o'clock games are done I walk the plank to my laptop and see what transpired (even though I have a good idea just by seeing what happened in the day's games).

Winning becomes addictive and there is nothing I hate more than losing. I want to dominate every league I'm in and I don't care who gets in my way. Thus the reason I needed to do a reality check.

1 person likes this

I'm disappointed for a few minutes or so, and then move on. You guys need more hobbies or something.

Yeah! Or a stamp collection. Stamps are fun.

2 people like this

It's just a game of luck...and one that requires a lot of it so if I lose I chalk it up to bad luck and go on...I'm just happy to be able to play a game that I enjoy and watch a sport that I love

1 person likes this

Great thread!!!! i love losing

edit: if you root for fantasy players over your life long team, you should quit fantasy. and "get more hobbies or somthing"

2 people like this

Yeah! Or a stamp collection. Stamps are fun.

I gotta admit, sometimes I try to break down what is really happening inside of this world, and when I do, I have to laugh.

It's like:

"I'm really good at predicting what men who play a kid's game for a living are gonna do once a week, and I'm gonna be better than you at doing that! Boom!"

if big money is on the line like last year with 700 dollars for first and 250 dollars for second and I missed the playoffs by 0.45 points.....not good that is why I am not big into football like all the other others.

however the guys I know that I play with this year in fantasy football......I have nothing to prove to them and has nothing to do with my manhood so I dont care. anymore fantasy football is more luck now than ever.

What gets me is when someone autodrafts and doesnt set lineups, yet still wins. That just burns my a**, same thing...when you are busting your a** to make the solid setups and lose, just takes everything to not want to punch a hole through a block of titanium.

fantasy footall is more luck than any other sport. like I said fantasy football has so many people playing anymore because fantasy football is pop culture. that is why I refuse to play in leagues that are free or with bums. I will not allow myself to lose to people I know that stink.

if you lose a close game the best way to positive spin it is: eh, at least i was still in it...made the game(s) I was watching that much more entertaining & suspenseful.

Oh no, thats the thing...i play in competitive leagues. I forgot to add that i mean the occasional players that cant log in for some reason, next year im moving away from yahoo. But in all my big money leagues, its competitive people, its just someone always has some log in issue and we always have an autodraft or two.

Which i just cant stand that...but yea, thats what i was referring too.

if you want to play something where an unaware owner doesn't get that lucky BS win, then start playing fantasy baseball. FF becomes much less entertaining after playing fantasy baseball.

try a 10 to 12 team NL/AL only roto baseball league and you'll get tired of FF very quickly. i've only been in my roto league 2 years now, and i think this is my last year of football. the NFL is much more enjoyable rooting for YOUR team, and getting in a pick 'em league.

My goal is to make the playoffs, then anything can happen!

Week to week is annoying when I lose by like 2 points or something, those are the worst!

if you want to play something where an unaware owner doesn't get that lucky BS win, then start playing fantasy baseball. FF becomes much less entertaining after playing fantasy baseball.

try a 10 to 12 team NL/AL only roto baseball league and you'll get tired of FF very quickly. i've only been in my roto league 2 years now, and i think this is my last year of football. the NFL is much more enjoyable rooting for YOUR team, and getting in a pick 'em league.

Except baseball is as inexhaustibly boring sport, and fantasy baseball does not make watching the games any more interesting.

Except baseball is as inexhaustibly boring sport, and fantasy baseball does not make watching the games any more interesting.

while i do enjoy your attempt at sounding smart, I disagree with both. did you ever play baseball? i've found that the more i learn about the game, the more i enjoy it. both fantasy, and real.

i did not play baseball past high school, so my initial understanding of the game was not very high. however, the more i learn about the strategy, the more i enjoy the so called chess match from pitch to pitch. i'll end my baseball sales pitch, but i stand by my point that fantasy baseball is much more challenging and fun than FF will ever be.

3 people like this

I will happily lose my FF game if I am against 49er players and they do well enough to win the game. I will cheer for them every time. I will, however, feel dirty when I am in my Candlestick seats and (silently) rooting for Calvin this weekend. That is the game.