Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riedle9

Who Would U Pick 5Th Overall?

After Kevin Durant, LeBron James, CP3 and Kevin Love............there isnt a clear 5th option.

I m actually think about Josh Smith. Joe Johnson is now gone and JSmoove may be the 1st option. He is always a high volume guy with pts, rebs, steals, blocks n good assists for a big man.

I'd prefer him to many :"projected 1st rounders" like Al Jefferson, Dirk Nowitzki, Deron Williams (many new weapons in Brooklyn) and apparently Wade

I would go Westbrook at 5.

I don't see Smith changing his attitude much now that JJ is gone. Smith is not the best shooter and him being able to shoot more is not a good thing. Plus the Hawks have Lou Williams and Anthony Morrow who are both chuckers.

I would even take D-Will, Jefferson, and even Dirk ahead of Smith.

Dwyane Wade was the fifth-ranked guy in 9-cat last year despite a career-low in minutes per game. He's the only guy in that tier with a long track record of performing at an early first-round level. Josh Smith was 16th last year despite Horford's absense, and that was a career-best for him. Westbrook was ranked 18th last year, and that too was a career-best for him, but he's incredibly popular at #5 for some reason.

I'm very high on Josh Smith this year, but I don't think I could go as high as five. Not with Westbrook , Dwill and probably Wade still on the board.

I might take him over Wade just because I never trust Wade to stay healthy but that is the only one I'd think about bumping him over.

I initially went for Westbrook in the community rankings because I'm extremely risk-adverse in the first few rounds, and Wade wouldn't be the best choice. However, rico381's points in the community voting thread persuaded me to reconsider. He's put together three healthy seasons before last year's lockout, and with reduced minutes and a less dangerous play style, I'm not worried about any re-emergence of him being an injury risk. Like rico381 said, he's the only guy outside of the Top 4 that has a track record of first round performance, and he should be the clear-cut #5 pick.

Westbrook and Smith are still rising newcomers, while D-Will is absolutely overrated in 9-cat. There's a reason D-Will has never cracked Top 20 in his entire career (#22 was his peak in 09-10).

In addition, I disagree heavily with the analysis that Smith won't change his attitude. He already HAS improved his attitude greatly in recent seasons, and with the Joe Johnson era over, there's no better time for Smith to assert his leadership on a new look team.

After Wade, I'd definitely go Westbrook, Smith, Bynum, Aldridge, and M. Gasol to round out the top 10. Gasol is certainly the biggest long-shot, but I believe in him. A more realistic option would likely be Jefferson or the more proven Gasol, Pau.

Westbrook. He's capable of a lot of triple doubles.

I had Wade last year and he was always missing games to minor injuries. Westbrook never gets hurt.

I dont liek PGs without many assists and 3s. Will say no to Westbrook. He doesnt provide many assists n 3s, he may offer pts and steals n has decent FG%

but he is really a contributor in 2-3 stats

JSmoove offers pts, reb, steals, assists(very good for a big man) and apparently blocks. He is consistent too and never really gets injured

I dont liek PGs without many assists and 3s. Will say no to Westbrook. He doesnt provide many assists n 3s, he may offer pts and steals n has decent FG%

I wouldn't take Westbrook at 5, but I do think his assists will improve this year. He averaged over 8 is two years prior to last, but I do think it will be 7+ again this year.

but he is really a contributor in 2-3 stats

JSmoove offers pts, reb, steals, assists(very good for a big man) and apparently blocks. He is consistent too and never really gets injured

I agree with w00funk. Last year was an outlier in assists, as he averaged at least 8 in this 2nd and 3rd year. I wouldn't read too much into it as OKC's assists were down as a team last season. He's improved his FG% every passing season and also upped his three's to nearly one a game last season. If he continues to make strides in his shooting, he can very well break into the Top 10. Since he's a guard, we'll discount blocks, so his only glaring weakness right now is his TOs. For a 23 year old, that's pretty damn good.

The main difference between the 2010-2011 season and the 2011-2012 season for the Thunder is the increased role of James Harden and ball-handling duties, so I don't think Westbrook will ever go back to his 8+ Assists/game days as long as James Harden is on the same team. I would say around 6 Assists would be a good estimate for Westbrook.

The main difference between the 2010-2011 season and the 2011-2012 season for the Thunder is the increased role of James Harden and ball-handling duties, so I don't think Westbrook will ever go back to his 8+ Assists/game days as long as James Harden is on the same team. I would say around 6 Assists would be a good estimate for Westbrook.

I don't think that's the case. While Harden's USG did increase by 2.1 last season, Westbrook's also increased by 1.1. Durant's also increased. I remember an article discussing Westbrook's unusual assists last season and it went over OKC's offensive tendencies last year. As suggested by the usage rate data, their Big 3 all increased in usage but the team's overall assists dropped - the team went into a lot more isolation plays for their Big 3. I'm not sure if it was due to the training camp or what, but hopefully the team reverts back to its ways of old.

I don't think that's the case. While Harden's USG did increase by 2.1 last season, Westbrook's also increased by 1.1. Durant's also increased. I remember an article discussing Westbrook's unusual assists last season and it went over OKC's offensive tendencies last year. As suggested by the usage rate data, their Big 3 all increased in usage but the team's overall assists dropped - the team went into a lot more isolation plays for their Big 3. I'm not sure if it was due to the training camp or what, but hopefully the team reverts back to its ways of old.

Well, their style of play got them to the NBA Finals, so I'm not confident Scott Brooks will change it. That's the only reason I'd put Irving over Westbrook.

If i'm picking at 5 it's between these 3 guys(I play in a 10 team H2H points league ) Pts=1 Reb=1 Ast=1 Stl=1 Blk=1 DD=5 TD=10 TO-1

Wade: I think he approaches 25/5/5 this year and last year was a bit odd for him. D-wade was still the 3rd ranked SG last year despite the down year and i'm confident he'll bounce back.

Westbrook: As Woofunk stated above Westbrook's assists were a bit of an outlier and should bounce back to around 6.5ish this season. The only problem is that his TOs would hurt me a bit(a player gets a point docked each time they commit a TO that night). I'm still very high on him despite that little issue.

D-Will: I have high hopes for him this year with how much the nets have improved and i think he will further benefit. D-Will shouldn't have an issue getting 21.5/9/3 and my league does give a 5 point bonus everytime gets a double-double so that helps as well. His TOs concern me just a bit(4.0 last year) needs to cut that down a bit.

Those are the three main contenders in my mind if i were drafting 5th.

I got the fifth pick in an upcoming draft and I know it will be Westbrook. Wade and deron both had little injuries that made them miss games last year. as for the "big" options I would rather wait and get DMC on the comeback.

I got the fifth pick in an upcoming draft and I know it will be Westbrook. Wade and deron both had little injuries that made them miss games last year. as for the "big" options I would rather wait and get DMC on the comeback.

There must be another player with the initials "DMC" because I know you aren't talking about DeMarcus Cousins in the second round.