Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robrain

2012 Ryan Williams *** Player Value ***

Any and all discussion about Ryan Williams player value compared to other players.

Discuss things such as which RB's you'd rather have him over, both in the short term and long term, as well as trade offers you're making to acquire him or what you're trying to sell him for. Also post trades that have involved him (if you can, try to include basic scoring settings and both team rosters for added context).

This will hopefully give all of us an idea of what other managers perceive his value to be, and assist us all in making trades and solid roster decisions.

Cool story bro #1:

I am in the process of finalizing a deal to get Dwayne Bowe for my Ryan Williams, who I originally drafted in Round 12, only to drop after Week 2 and pick up again for $132 out of a $1,000 FAAB. Just giving all the Williams owners out there a perspective of his value.

Hmmm. I may have to look into trades. Williams is by fourth RB (fifth if you count BJGE) behind Forte, Mathews and Murray. I don't really need WRs, but Bowe would been awesome value IMO if you can live without Williams

Seriously considering Shipping Julio Jones for Desean Jackson+Ryan Williams.

14 team league standard scoring non ppr

QB Ponder

RBFoster

RB Martin

WR J. Jones

WR. Cruz

WR/TE K. Wright

TE Gates

K Hanson

Def Arizona

Bench Locker

Bench Luck

Bench J. Rodgers

Bench T.Y Hilton

Bench R. Draughns

Bench T Young

Would obviously drop Locker/Ponder if I agreed to this trade.

Thoughts would be appreciated! WHIR

Change in the trade scenario I mentioned above. The other owner won't give up Bowe, but he will give up Colston. Make the deal?

Nah Colston hasn't shown anything dating back to the end of last year, also Bowe is getting targeted so much with no really clear number 2 behind him.

QB Ponder

RBFoster

RB Martin

WR J. Jones

WR. Cruz

WR/TE K. Wright

TE Gates

K Hanson

Def Arizona

Bench Locker

Bench Luck

Bench J. Rodgers

Bench T.Y Hilton

Bench R. Draughns

Bench T Young

Not a chance I make this deal if I am you.

QB Ponder

RBFoster

RB Martin

WR J. Jones

WR. Cruz

WR/TE K. Wright

TE Gates

K Hanson

Def Arizona

Bench Locker

Bench Luck

Bench J. Rodgers

Bench T.Y Hilton

Bench R. Draughns

Bench T Young

I would keep Julio for sure...Matthews is nothing special and the Eagles passing game is too inconsistent

Help with mine

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/308436-pick-2-from-these-to-start-this-week-i-always-help-you-guys-out/

I wouldn't, I'd much rather have Williams than Colston.

I am just wondering what makes you say that? He has fumbled twice, does not have a favorable schedule for a RB, and has yet to score. Is it more because Colston has not looked good so far, or because you think Williams will have a better ROS?

To ask this question 1 week ago whether I should accept Colston for Williams would have been laughed at....

He's a high-end RB2 from here on out (at the least).

ARI are going to run as much as they can to avoid the disaster they have a QB. Rely on their defense and special teams to provide field position, and then run more. he has the talent and moves to break out a big play every game, regardless of the defense (Miami who?)

I would put him up there in the ranks of 10-15 right now. (ROS)

http://forums.footba...howtopic=659672

He's a high-end RB2 from here on out (at the least).

ARI are going to run as much as they can to avoid the disaster they have a QB. Rely on their defense and special teams to provide field position, and then run more. he has the talent and moves to break out a big play every game, regardless of the defense (Miami who?)

I would put him up there in the ranks of 10-15 right now. (ROS)

http://forums.footba...howtopic=659672

Not too get too much off topic, but would you trade Andre Brown for Colston then, instead of Williams?

I wouldn't, I'd much rather have Williams than Colston.

A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. If you could get Colston now and need WR help then do it. Williams is a lotto ticket and those always pan out to be the next Arian Foster, right? But that's the risk. If you are playing with house money maybe you hold, if you need a WR then get Colston. Really that simple.

You guys will all be disappointed by Williams...Sell high before he even plays i would say. I chose to pick up andre brown over williams this week.

I made a trade to acquire the Cardinals backfield (including Ryan Williams) the day before Beanie Wells landed on I.R. Me and the other team involved in that trade had been discussing the possibility of moving the Cardinals backfield for several days before that, and he'd openly had them available on the trade block in our league. Not the official trade block, but by way of this statement in his team's trade talk thread in our league forum:

"Anyone want any part of the ARI backfield? I may let you have them for a bag of Funyuns."

For additional context, that same team owner had previously stated (while commenting on the guy in our league who at the time owned 3 WAS RB's):

"I feel for ya Dave. I'd rather stick a pencil in my ear while getting whipped with a bullwhip."

So obviously he wasn't very high on the Arizona backfield. Going into that trade with that knowledge, I felt like his hatred of the Arizona backfield made it a good fallback trade option as an emergency RB2 / emergency RB depth target.

I personally wasn't very high on Beanie Wells, I thought Wells with his injuries was honestly the one that was tanking the value of the Arizona backfield the most. I figured if he got injured / sidelined, then the value of the Arizona backfield had probably an 80% chance of increasing.

After searching around for other RB's (I was a Kevin Smith owner who got blindsided, so I was making emergency trades to refill my RB depth going into bye weeks), I ended up making a trade to acquire Michael Turner.

6 days before I acquired Turner, I made a trade with that same team to acquire Daryl Richardson for speculative depth when SJax was dealing with his groin injury (and prior to the Kevin Smith implosion).

So my series of trades:

I gave:

Andrew Hawkins (after Week 2's game)

Team #2 gave:

Daryl Richardson

So 6 days after that, I negotiated another trade which ironically sent Daryl Richardson back to that team as part of the trade to acquire Michael Turner:

I gave:

Martellus Bennett

Daryl Richardson

Team #2 gave:

Michael Turner

Jason Snelling

So that's how I got Michael Turner, and why I was still interested in the Cardinals backfield for depth behind him, as Turner was now my only viable RB2. With McFadden having his Bye in Week 5, I still needed another RB unless I wanted to have an empty slot in my starting lineup that week.

So I gave:

Kyle Rudolph

Leonard Hankerson

Team #1 gave:

Beanie Wells

Ryan Williams

Jared Cook

My roster before the trade to acquire Ryan Williams:

QB: Matthew Stafford

WR1: Calvin Johnson

WR2: Sidney Rice

RB1: Darren McFadden

RB2: Michael Turner

TE: Dennis Pitta

FLEX: Kyle Rudolph

K: Greg Zuerlein

DEF: DET

Bench:

WR: Leonard Hankerson

WR: Ramses Barden

RB: Kevin Smith

RB: Jahvid Best

RB: Jason Snelling

RB: Alex Green

Team #1's roster before the trade:

QB: Cam Newton

WR1: Brandon Marshall

WR2: Miles Austin

RB1: Ray Rice

RB2: Reggie Bush

TE: Brent Celek

FLEX: Brandon Lloyd

K: Justin Tucker

DEF: BAL

Bench:

RB: Benjarvus Green-Ellis

RB: Beanie Wells

RB: Ryan Williams

TE: Jared Cook

WR: Justin Blackmon

WR: Stephen Hill

=========================================================================

My roster after the trade:

FLEX: Ryan Williams

Bench:

Team #1's roster after the trade:

TE: Kyle Rudolph

Bench:

RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis

[EMPTY BENCH SPOT]

That trade was processed the night before Waivers cleared (post-Week 3 games). The next morning on Waivers, he dropped Justin Blackmon (claiming Daniel Thomas), and then claimed Bernard Pierce (Ray Rice's handcuff) to fill his empty bench spot.

After securing the Arizona backfield as emergency depth at RB (I'm still hopeful that by holding onto Kevin Smith + Jahvid Best, one of them will come into some value at some point later this season), I traded Sidney Rice for Randall Cobb, and then was able to deal Michael Turner for $50 FAAB [i'd already blown my full $100 allotment] + Andrew Luck + Donnie Avery (dropping Jason Snelling, who the trade partner was not interested in rostering).

Now having Andrew Luck, I immediately turned around and began shopping Matthew Stafford so I could finally upgrade my WR2 spot. I was able to trade Stafford + Avery today for Torrey Smith + Jacquizz Rodgers. So essentially, I'm not forced to rely on the Arizona Cardinals backfield, and my other RB2 option (Jacquizz Rodgers) has the same exact scheduled matchups for the rest of the season (including this week vs. CAR) as my previous stopgap option, Michael Turner. Plus seeing how this is a full-point PPR league, I think I may like Jacquizz Rodgers as an RB2 option slightly better than Turner, though it could be a tossup whether Rodgers will see enough carries during weeks like this one where the defense (CAR) is soft against the run.

Long, detailed story short, I like the fact right now that Ryan Williams is the clear-cut lead RB for the Cardinals. I would have been a lot more hesitant starting either Wells or Williams previously, as they were both in a timeshare and it was uncertain who would have the better fantasy day (with both also acting to limit the other's ceiling any given week). I'm not guaranteeing that he'll be good, that still remains to be seen, but at least his opportunity has increased, enough for me to feel less worried if I have to start him.

I made a trade to acquire the Cardinals backfield (including Ryan Williams) the day before Beanie Wells landed on I.R. Me and the other team involved in that trade had been discussing the possibility of moving the Cardinals backfield for several days before that, and he'd openly had them available on the trade block in our league. Not the official trade block, but by way of this statement in his team's trade talk thread in our league forum:

"Anyone want any part of the ARI backfield? I may let you have them for a bag of Funyuns."

For additional context, that same team owner had previously stated (while commenting on the guy in our league who at the time owned 3 WAS RB's):

"I feel for ya Dave. I'd rather stick a pencil in my ear while getting whipped with a bullwhip."

So obviously he wasn't very high on the Arizona backfield. Going into that trade with that knowledge, I felt like his hatred of the Arizona backfield made it a good fallback trade option as an emergency RB2 / emergency RB depth target.

I personally wasn't very high on Beanie Wells, I thought Wells with his injuries was honestly the one that was tanking the value of the Arizona backfield the most. I figured if he got injured / sidelined, then the value of the Arizona backfield had probably an 80% chance of increasing.

After searching around for other RB's (I was a Kevin Smith owner who got blindsided, so I was making emergency trades to refill my RB depth going into bye weeks), I ended up making a trade to acquire Michael Turner.

6 days before I acquired Turner, I made a trade with that same team to acquire Daryl Richardson for speculative depth when SJax was dealing with his groin injury (and prior to the Kevin Smith implosion).

So my series of trades:

I gave:

Andrew Hawkins (after Week 2's game)

Team #2 gave:

Daryl Richardson

So 6 days after that, I negotiated another trade which ironically sent Daryl Richardson back to that team as part of the trade to acquire Michael Turner:

I gave:

Martellus Bennett

Daryl Richardson

Team #2 gave:

Michael Turner

Jason Snelling

So that's how I got Michael Turner, and why I was still interested in the Cardinals backfield for depth behind him, as Turner was now my only viable RB2. With McFadden having his Bye in Week 5, I still needed another RB unless I wanted to have an empty slot in my starting lineup that week.

So I gave:

Kyle Rudolph

Leonard Hankerson

Team #1 gave:

Beanie Wells

Ryan Williams

Jared Cook

My roster before the trade to acquire Ryan Williams:

FLEX: Kyle Rudolph

Bench:

RB: Alex Green

Team #1's roster before the trade:

Bench:

RB: Benjarvus Green-Ellis

RB: Ryan Williams

=========================================================================

My roster after the trade:

FLEX: Ryan Williams

Bench:

Team #1's roster after the trade:

TE: Kyle Rudolph

Bench:

RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis

[EMPTY BENCH SPOT]

That trade was processed the night before Waivers cleared (post-Week 3 games). The next morning on Waivers, he dropped Justin Blackmon (claiming Daniel Thomas), and then claimed Bernard Pierce (Ray Rice's handcuff) to fill his empty bench spot.

After securing the Arizona backfield as emergency depth at RB (I'm still hopeful that by holding onto Kevin Smith + Jahvid Best, one of them will come into some value at some point later this season), I traded Sidney Rice for Randall Cobb, and then was able to deal Michael Turner for $50 FAAB [i'd already blown my full $100 allotment] + Andrew Luck + Donnie Avery (dropping Jason Snelling, who the trade partner was not interested in rostering).

Now having Andrew Luck, I immediately turned around and began shopping Matthew Stafford so I could finally upgrade my WR2 spot. I was able to trade Stafford + Avery today for Torrey Smith + Jacquizz Rodgers. So essentially, I'm not forced to rely on the Arizona Cardinals backfield, and my other RB2 option (Jacquizz Rodgers) has the same exact scheduled matchups for the rest of the season (including this week vs. CAR) as my previous stopgap option, Michael Turner. Plus seeing how this is a full-point PPR option, I think I may like Jacquizz Rodgers slightly better than Turner, though it could be a tossup whether Rodgers will see enough carries during weeks like this one where the defense (CAR) is soft against the run.

Long, detailed story short, I like the fact right now that Ryan Williams is the clear-cut lead RB for the Cardinals. I would have been a lot more hesitant starting either Wells or Williams previously, as they were both in a timeshare and it was uncertain who would have the better fantasy day (with both also acting to limit the other's ceiling any given week). I'm not guaranteeing that he'll be good, that still remains to be seen, but at least his opportunity has increased, enough for me to feel less worried if I have to start him.

Who do you like more ROS....Andre Brown or Ryan Williams? Would you trade either for Colston based on my current crop of WRs (Nelson, Maclin, Garcon, Britt, LaFell)?

Im in a 1 pt ppr and struggling on who to start this week.. Ryan Williams vs MIA or Pierre Thomas vs GB..

In PPR, I think I like Pierre Thomas vs. GB. I'm still unsure of how much of a workload Arizona will give Ryan Williams in his first game as the lead back, and it's also questionable whether or not he'll be in on 3rd downs. They could attempt to use Hypen (LaRod Stephens-Howling) in that role initially while they monitor Ryan Williams. I think if you've got any better options this week, you probably want to sit Ryan Williams and wait to see how he does before throwing him into your starting lineup.

Ryan Williams has the opportunity, but a large part of the reason you can buy low on him right now (even though he's now a "lead" back), is because the perception that the Cardinals running game just has not looked good.

I think the upside is, the Cardinals offense doesn't seem to be the variety that just presses and presses and presses on the accelerator all game. If they get a lead, especially with their defense looking good, I expect them to pull back into more of a ball-control / clock killing mode. If that happens (good chance vs. MIA), then Ryan Williams should at least get a good workload of carries because of it.

I still think that Pierre Thomas might be the upside play this week, though it's close. I suggest Pierre Thomas simply because of the uncertainty of how much / how Ryan Williams will be utilized in his first game in the lead back role. NO vs. GB should hopefully be a high scoring shootout - as NFL and fantasy fans, we've been missing those kind of games this season.

QB Ponder

RBFoster

RB Martin

WR J. Jones

WR. Cruz

WR/TE K. Wright

TE Gates

K Hanson

Def Arizona

Bench Locker

Bench Luck

Bench J. Rodgers

Bench T.Y Hilton

Bench R. Draughns

Bench T Young

It's not necessarily a terrible idea, but I don't like it.

I think with that roster, in a non-PPR league, if you're going to trade Julio Jones for anything, I'd trade him for a QB upgrade. Foster + Martin aren't bad. I don't think that Ryan Williams will be any better than Martin, and even in non-PPR I don't hate Jacquizz Rodgers as a bye-week replacement.

Maybe package Doug Martin into a trade to upgrade your RB2 position

I'd shoot higher for RB2 / bye week depth than Ryan Williams, especially if it costs you trading Julio Jones to acquire him. Ryan Williams is an unknown quantity at this point and is, for all analysis purposes, coming off a patella tendon tear/surgery. You should only trade to acquire him in my opinion, if you can get him at a good price.

Change in the trade scenario I mentioned above. The other owner won't give up Bowe, but he will give up Colston. Make the deal?

No way, Colston is injured and Ryan Williams has a lot of upside/trade value as a lead back going into everyone's bye weeks. Hold onto him for a better offer.

I would not recommend rostering any player with an injury like plantar fasciitis. I highly believe that a player going into the season with an injury that will nag them all season (groin/hip/turf toe/plantar fasciitis) should not be rostered (as in, you should never trade something of value to acquire them).

Are my Ryan Williams and my Brandon Lafell for Dwayne Bowe a good deal?

Truthfully I'm not sold on Dwayne Bowe (mainly because I think that KC offense has a good chance of being brutal for fantasy purposes). Dwayne Bowe probably isn't bad, the real question is if there's a real need for you at WR, if there's a need for you to get rid of Ryan Williams (do you think he could be useful to your roster if he does well?), and if there isn't a better WR that you could trade him for than Dwayne Bowe.

I'm not particularly high on LaFell either, but he could get better as the season goes on. I think I almost certainly like Bowe more than LaFell, but then again, there's a lot of WRs I like more than LaFell.