Krono87

Paul George 2012-2013 Season Outlook - Ascension Into Stardom?

How is George's defense not at Batum's level? I've watched both guys play quite a bit this season, and George is playing better defensively. He is playing at an elite level on that end. He's the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league. His defense is on par with Allen and Sefolosha right now, who are premier stoppers. Batum's effort level fluctuates on the defensive end far more than George's. Batum may have the tools to be on that level, but he's not playing at the same level defensively that George is right now.

Edited by mjk356

TNT has George with 10 assists??

I'm pretty sure they robbed him from one of the assists to West, they can still change his stat line by the end of the week correct?

It's just my opinion so take it for what you will.

I'm not going to question that Batum's defense this year isn't as good as George's. Portland literally has no depth whatsoever, their team defense isn't as great as Indiana's, and Batum has a lot bigger of a burden than George does. It's not surprising at all that Batum's effort on the defensive end has been lackluster this season.

But when considering their defense on a fair playing field, I think Batum's defense is better. You can say that George is only 22 and locking up elite scorers, but Batum was doing that when he was 20. In fact, not only was Batum locking up elite scorers, he was absolutely shutting them down. Just to give you an example, as Batum emerged in the second half of his rookie season, he held Kobe to just 37% shooting in the last 2 games of the season.

Have you watched George play D? He probably deserves consideration for first team all defense. Batum is a solid defender, but George is better IMO. George just locks people down.

Granger's a FA after next season, so he won't be in Indiana long-term. Lillard and Aldridge are in Portland long-term, so George will have a lot less competition. The biggest obstacle for George as an offensive player is that he's poor at drawing fouls and doesn't really finish well around the rim. Drawing fouls is a skill, and George doesn't have a knack for it at this point. He's kind of awkward finishing around the rim for a guy of his size and athleticism. Most of his big scoring games are where he just gets red hot behind the arc.

I never said George was a bad defender. I have watched him play, and he definitely is solid at the end of the floor. However, Batum is on a whole different level. He's one of the few players in the league that I've watched who can seemingly shut down the game's premier offensive players without an effort. To be fair, his defense has not been up to his par this season most likely due to a heavy workload, but I'd definitely take Batum's defense ahead of George's.

Ballsohard, are you sure? I actually would agree with the others that George is the better defender, from what I've seen. I can see how it'd be hard to put one over the other. But different level? Exaggeration?

Isn't George closer to 6'10 than he is 6'8? 6'10 two guard with the athletcism and quickness he is, should not be understated. And when you watch him play, I agree with mjk, he locks players down.

Batum is the smarter player, George is the better athlete, imo. Batum's IQ is why he's the better player now, but George has grown leaps and bounds from where he was just a year ago. And he's only 22. Like I said earlier, both are virtually tied in terms of keeper/dynasty, but I'll lean towards George due to his physical potential and situation he's in.

Edited by tremixt

Just wanted to stop by and say I wished I hadnt traded George for Anthony Davis in my 30 team dynasty league..that is all

I think, where I get hung up, ballsohard, is that you seem to think Batum is far better than PG and much more of a complete player. Not many would argue that he's better, but far better? I can't see that.

• Like 1

Has there been a stat correction to award PG that extra assist? I just saw tnt scroll 10 asts and a triple double.

It's funny because both him and Batum had very equal stat lines today.

George: 12 pts, 10 reb, 9 asts, 1 stl (5-13)

Batum: 12 pts, 10 reb, 11 asts, 3 stl, 2 blk (5-10)

I've been trying so hard to get PG on my team, but the owner won't bite. Been waiting for a buy low opportunity...but it never comes..

There are only 4 guys in the league that produce significantly across 3's, ast, stl, and blk. Durant, LeBron, Batum and PG24.

If you have PG24 and Batum you have an embarrassment of riches. Please tell me none of you have Durant/Batum/George, that would be sickeningly awesome.

It's funny because both him and Batum had very equal stat lines today.

George: 12 pts, 10 reb, 9 asts, 1 stl (5-13)

Batum: 12 pts, 10 reb, 11 asts, 3 stl, 2 blk (5-10)

I've been trying so hard to get PG on my team, but the owner won't bite. Been waiting for a buy low opportunity...but it never comes..

If you have Batum and George as your SG/SF, that's basically all you need as for SG/SF. There'll get you all the WING stats. As an owner of both, I'm happily giving hell to others.

Edited by Hot N Sour Soup
  • Like 1

I should have drafted batum when I had the chance over millsap. I would have the unstoppable trifecta of durant, batum and george.

I think, where I get hung up, ballsohard, is that you seem to think Batum is far better than PG and much more of a complete player. Not many would argue that he's better, but far better? I can't see that.

I think that's because I've followed Batum for his entire career and recognize that he's still not playing anywhere near where he could be right now simply because he's having to do so much on the floor for the Blazers this year. George, on the other hand, seems like he's playing to his potential. Both still have lots of room to improve, but if Batum and George are playing on a similar level right now despite Batum producing nowhere near his 100%, that's what makes me think Batum is much better. I love George a lot as well; I started following him after many people thought he'd be the dark horse out of Fresno St. in the draft. I simply don't think George will ever have as polished of a game as Batum though. Again, just my opinion.

• Like 1

I should have drafted batum when I had the chance over millsap. I would have the unstoppable trifecta of durant, batum and george.

That's just crazy but you're in an 8-team league which is reasonable to have all 3. I've saw a league where George/Batum/LBJ/Durant were all on the same team and it was a 12-team league.

That's just crazy but you're in an 8-team league which is reasonable to have all 3. I've saw a league where George/Batum/LBJ/Durant were all on the same team and it was a 12-team league.

Wow, greatest team in fantasy basketball history? Must be a league full of idiots to allow that guy to trade for either Lebron or Durant.

I will say that it's not suprising to see a team that had either Lebron OR Durant, plus drafted George and Batum for a powerful 3-headed SF monster lineup. That is not far fetched at all, and I could have (and should have) done it myself. Pick 1: Durant. Then George and Batum were going middle rounds.

George vs Batum tonight.... Will they guard each other? Who has the better line?

Edited by aaa1

I was lucky enough yesterday to add George to my roster by trading Batum. George has been added with LeBron and Durant. I figured I'd trade Batum for George because George is just an absolute beast, not to mention he is 2 years younger than Batum and is the unquestioned leader on his team. He takes alot more shots than Batum does while Batum takes a backseat to Lillard and Aldridge on many nights. George knows he is the true leader of his team and his stats reflect it.

I had George Durant and Batum until recently when I traded Varajao, Batum and Redick for Harden, Kawhi and the Manimal.

I got Durant in the 1st round, Paul George in the 4th round, and Batum in the 6th :D

10-teamer

Edited by curron

I think that's because I've followed Batum for his entire career and recognize that he's still not playing anywhere near where he could be right now simply because he's having to do so much on the floor for the Blazers this year. George, on the other hand, seems like he's playing to his potential. Both still have lots of room to improve, but if Batum and George are playing on a similar level right now despite Batum producing nowhere near his 100%, that's what makes me think Batum is much better. I love George a lot as well; I started following him after many people thought he'd be the dark horse out of Fresno St. in the draft. I simply don't think George will ever have as polished of a game as Batum though. Again, just my opinion.

I don't get the impression that George is playing to his potential at ALL. He's a good, but inconsistent outside shooter. He's one of the tallest and longest wings in the league and can get to the rim at will at times. Add to that he has dunk contest type athleticism and the sky is the limit. We can argue until we're blue in the face about who is a better player, but fact is neither of them are done getting better, neither have the same role on their team, and it's hard enough comparing guys with very similar roles. Their only real similarity is as across the board fantasy contributors.

• Like 1

I don't get the impression that George is playing to his potential at ALL. He's a good, but inconsistent outside shooter. He's one of the tallest and longest wings in the league and can get to the rim at will at times. Add to that he has dunk contest type athleticism and the sky is the limit. We can argue until we're blue in the face about who is a better player, but fact is neither of them are done getting better, neither have the same role on their team, and it's hard enough comparing guys with very similar roles. Their only real similarity is as across the board fantasy contributors.

Agreed. George's potential is Durant, and he's clearly not there yet. That's exciting how much room he has to grow.

Edited by aaa1

Durant potential? George is very talented, but that's complete hyperbole.

He's a fantasy beast, but you have to remember that George is taking 18-20 shots to get 18-20 PPG. He rarely gets to the free throw line and is shooting low 40s in FG%. Offensively, that profiles nothing like Durant potential. George is an excellent fantasy commodity, but some of the hype needs to be eased up.

• Like 1

George's potential is Durant? are u joking?? George hasn't reached his potential yet, but he's nowhere near being a player of Durant's caliber. A little early to go that far. as a matter of fact, I bet his production decreases when Granger comes back, as Granger is still their first option.

He's a beast, don't get me wrong, but he has a ways to go before he can be considered with the superstars of this league.