Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

to_be_quite_frank

Fernando Rodney 2012 Season Outlook

8 posts in this topic

I know the season is almost over, but I'm shocked to see that Fernando Rodney doesn't have a player thread.

He's been so goddamn good for my team this year--- maybe my best FA pickup

Historically, this could be one of the best seasons for a closer of all time!

The closer thread isn't enough for this guy

He has been outstanding, and the best part of it is that even when he drifts closer to the mean next year, it isn't likely to be very drastic.

He changed his positioning on the rubber after coming over to TB, and the net result is that he's hitting corners instead of missing inside or off the plate, and the movement of his pitches means he's throwing strikes and missing bats.

As long as he doesn't completely lose his command going forward, I like him to have another strong season next year.

interesting to see what the Rays do. typically they let their closers put up big years then walk in free agency. I wonder if they'll try to get Godney for a discount if he gives them one.

He has been outstanding, and the best part of it is that even when he drifts closer to the mean next year, it isn't likely to be very drastic.

He changed his positioning on the rubber after coming over to TB, and the net result is that he's hitting corners instead of missing inside or off the plate, and the movement of his pitches means he's throwing strikes and missing bats.

As long as he doesn't completely lose his command going forward, I like him to have another strong season next year.

So all it took was him to slide over a few inches to go from being Fernando Rodney to being Mo Rivera?

(I'm skeptical, but I know nothing)

1 person likes this

Haven't made a final decision but I'm considering keeping Rodney as my 9th and final keeper in a 14 team mixed roto.

I realize this is Fernando and this could be the outlier year to his MLB career but he has been outstanding in 4 of the 5 cats (all but Wins). If he's back with Tampa with Maddon and Hickey he could do it again. If he's elsewhere I'd have to let him go.

So all it took was him to slide over a few inches to go from being Fernando Rodney to being Mo Rivera?

(I'm skeptical, but I know nothing)

Ha, no, it doesn't completely explain the numbers, but it does help explain the BB/SO improvement.

I don't have access to it right now, but check out his Fangraphs page, they discussed the adjustment and the effect it had earlier in the year.

I think his improvement is because of how he wears his hat now...

2 people like this