Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code of Hammurabi

JJ Hickson 2012-2013 Season Outlook

204 posts in this topic

Wesley Matthews said that J.J. Hickson is "playing at another level right now."

"He’s playing hard and he’s tough," Matthews said. "I can tell his skills have really developed." Last week coach Terry Stotts said Hickson is the favorite for the starting center job, but will compete with rookie Meyers Leonard. Hickson was fantastic down the stretch last year and has some sleeper appeal in fantasy leagues.

Whether the coach likes it or not, there's simply not many good frontcourt options past Aldridge or Hickson. No matter how good Leonard turns out to be, Hickson is going to have quite a bit of minutes to work with this season. I'd definitely say he's a sleeper.

Hickson is a sleeper for me this year, hes going to be getting 32-34 mins a game. I dont think Leonard will challenge him for starters minutes.

He's definitely a sleeper, but when he is involved in the offense, he shoots a high FT volume at a horrid %. Hopefully, he can keep up his FG% so he can maintain value, and if he can get 1+ blks, then he would definitely outperform his ADP.

Do you prefer him to Asik? (Overall production)

I would prefer Omer Asik because I like Rebounding/Blocking bigs. J.J. Hickson and David West are probably going to get similar stats this year, with Hickson's FT% being worse and his FG% being better than West's.

numbers predictions? I only remember him having a little burst out in Cleveland but never knew he was fantasy relevant.

numbers predictions? I only remember him having a little burst out in Cleveland but never knew he was fantasy relevant.

If he remains the starter, he should maintain similar numbers to the ones during his stint with the Trailblazers last season.

J.J. Hickson is entering training camp as the starting center.

This is notable because it means that Meyers Leonard will be in a reserve role for the time being. In 19 games with the Blazers last season, Hickson averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 0.9 blocks on 54.3 percent shooting. He only shot 64.5 percent from the foul line, but that should be expected as he is a career 66.9 percent shooter from the charity stripe. Hickson looks like a nice value pick this season if he holds onto the starting gig.

1 person likes this

Love Hickson

J.J. Hickson is entering training camp as the starting center. This is notable because it means that Meyers Leonard will be in a reserve role for the time being. In 19 games with the Blazers last season, Hickson averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 0.9 blocks on 54.3 percent shooting. He only shot 64.5 percent from the foul line, but that should be expected as he is a career 66.9 percent shooter from the charity stripe. Hickson looks like a nice value pick this season if he holds onto the starting gig.

Start or not, like his chances to play 30+ minutes and return late-round value with a small helping of upside

14.0/8.5 with a block per game,i like him this year considering he's starting and he was fun to own in CLE during the end of the 2010-11 season.

His ultimate value will be determined by his fg% and ft%. I would be very very concerned of the cumulative effect of both on this fantasy value. However, If he can flirt with 48%/49% fgs and 70% fts his value is pretty much similar to Kris Humphries. That could be a nice coup in round 11 or 12 in fantasy drafts. Keep in mind that he will have to eventually fend off Leonard for some PT.

14.0/8.5 with a block per game,i like him this year considering he's starting and he was fun to own in CLE during the end of the 2010-11 season.

His ultimate value will be determined by his fg% and ft%. I would be very very concerned of the cumulative effect of both on this fantasy value. However, If he can flirt with 48%/49% fgs and 70% fts his value is pretty much similar to Kris Humphries. That could be a nice coup in round 11 or 12 in fantasy drafts. Keep in mind that he will have to eventually fend off Leonard for some PT.

Dont agree, Meyers Leonard is a bust. I have been seeing him play many times for U of Illinois, nah he is raw like Drummond

JJ Hickson, starting or not, will be play 28min+

Dont agree, Meyers Leonard is a bust. I have been seeing him play many times for U of Illinois, nah he is raw like Drummond

Even if Leonard isn't a bust and turns out to be very serviceable, that still only makes it three frontcourt players the Blazers can rely on for solid value (Aldridge, Hickson, Leonard). Unless, of course, you believe Freeland or Jeffries will somehow break out in a big way this year.

With that said, I think all this talk about Leonard's impact on Hickson's fantasy value is a bit pointless. Hickson is going to get his minutes this season, barring injury. The thing that owners should really be concerned about when it comes to Hickson isn't Leonard, but rather Hickson's glaring weaknesses in FT% and defensive stats.

Even if Leonard isn't a bust and turns out to be very serviceable, that still only makes it three frontcourt players the Blazers can rely on for solid value (Aldridge, Hickson, Leonard). Unless, of course, you believe Freeland or Jeffries will somehow break out in a big way this year.

With that said, I think all this talk about Leonard's impact on Hickson's fantasy value is a bit pointless. Hickson is going to get his minutes this season, barring injury. The thing that owners should really be concerned about when it comes to Hickson isn't Leonard, but rather Hickson's glaring weaknesses in FT% and defensive stats.

Yes, i think JJ Hickson has good value at 12th round (11th if 14 team league)

Tristan Thompson, Biyombo n Asik has similar value in my perspective, around 11th/12th

Valanciunas worths a last round pick. Injuries, foul troubles and a small logjam (along with Bargnani, Ed Davis and Amir...starting or not, they will have negative impact to Valanciunas' minutes) will limit Valanciunas' fantasy value this season.

Splitter also my my radar

Tristan Thompson, Biyombo n Asik has similar value in my perspective, around 11th/12th

Valanciunas worths a last round pick. Injuries, foul troubles and a small logjam (along with Bargnani, Ed Davis and Amir...starting or not, they will have negative impact to Valanciunas' minutes) will limit Valanciunas' fantasy value this season.

If Jonas does well Ed Davis and Amir Johnson will not limit his minutes. Those two are barely average.

This might sound strange but his contract worries me. He definitely isn't being paid like a starter which means that Portland doesn't think he's a starter. Maybe he'll fake it this year, but it worries me.

1 person likes this

This might sound strange but his contract worries me. He definitely isn't being paid like a starter which means that Portland doesn't think he's a starter. Maybe he'll fake it this year, but it worries me.

Well, the head coach definitely did say that he preferred for Hickson to come off the bench because him starting would create a pretty undersized frontcourt. However, his tune has certainly changed over the summer.

Besides, no team is going to play someone less simply because they don't get paid enough. Hickson's worst enemy is hiimself right now; the only way he's going to cede his role on the team right now is if he completely faceplants.

If Jonas does well Ed Davis and Amir Johnson will not limit his minutes. Those two are barely average.

Valanciunas needs time to adapt the NBA, its his rookie season, especially tough for big men. Foul trouble will be an issue, and not to mention he is currently injured.

Ed Davis isnt that bad, and an interesting fact is that a recent pic with Ed Davis standing next to Valanciunas...........Ed Davis is taller than Valancinas who is offically listed at 6'11". Ed Davis has gained weight too. I think he'll play 20+min

Amir Johnson will still be serviceable given 10-15min a game

i dont think Valanciunas will play 25+ min

J.J. Hickson is slated to be the opening-night starter at center for the Blazers this season.

Rookie Meyers Leonard was set to battle for the job, but Hickson is having a great camp and coach Terry Stotts likes him as the incumbent. Hickson was a very solid fantasy center down the stretch last season and should be an excellent value pick in fantasy leagues this season.

Not the most efficient player but he can put up solid points and rebounds. He is the type of guy who can produce while playing on bad teams. Although, I guess that isn't really fair since he really hasn't had much choice on where he has played.

Portland will be a playoff team this year

Not the most efficient player but he can put up solid points and rebounds. He is the type of guy who can produce while playing on bad teams. Although, I guess that isn't really fair since he really hasn't had much choice on where he has played.