Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yankee01

Setting Up A Cheat Sheet

9 posts in this topic

12 team roto 28 rds redaft

Last yr i felt a spent way to much time preparing my cheat sheet. It did pay off I came in 1st place.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggetions in preparing one of web sites to use?

Thanks

Sal

12 team roto 28 rds redaft

Last yr i felt a spent way to much time preparing my cheat sheet. It did pay off I came in 1st place.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggetions in preparing one of web sites to use?

Thanks

Sal

Im auction keeper, but same approx number of teams. It does take time, I kind of do my own based off last years production, next years projected line ups, then my thoughts and others thoughts on certain guys. I will usually put their stats and then my commentary on them.

I think its fun though, so I dont mind doing it, its what I enjoy doing in my free time during that time of year. I usually start compiling my list the first week of January, which is usually 10 or so weeks before the auction. After kids go to be, wife watching her shows or whatever, I will spend 45min to 90 min a few nights a week while watching a hockey or baskeball game or something putting things together. I kind of set a goal to do a position a week, if I finish early, which I usually do, I nibble at OF and SP which take longer. I compile rankings of the starters, their stats or what kind of projected stats might be there, and my comments then in that week I also look at/research prospects at that position, who might be guys in waiting, especially in a keeper league, as well as prospects even down further in systems as we have a minor league reserve 3-round draft as well.

Along the way as spring takes place, injuries etc I will make some adjustments. Then about a week before the draft, I have my own "draft" where I compile my rankings at each positon, where I kind of do a draft, if I had first pick and had to take this position in this round, I take player "XYZ" and most importantly tiers on my cheat sheet. Then the week of the draft, just highlighting the kept guys and some last minute updates if need be.

Its not probably the best or most efficient way, but its something I look forward to doing each year. Some guys like reading a book or doing a puzzle at night as a pastime, I like prepping for my draft.

I'm in an auction draft, so I'm not sure if this will help, but I put together a spreadsheet with all the depth charts on it (I get them from rotoworld). It helps because you can see what is left at a certain position late in the draft if you organize it by position. It helps because you can see when a position is starting to get shallow and when it may help to take someone. I also then go through and mark people that I like/don't like, injury risks, sleepers, busts, etc. I tend to mark a few people per position that I like for that year, so I can see easier who I should look for when at the middle/end of the draft. It helps keep me organized and keeps me from getting stuck with a junker at a position for the most part.

I'm in an auction draft, so I'm not sure if this will help, but I put together a spreadsheet with all the depth charts on it (I get them from rotoworld). It helps because you can see what is left at a certain position late in the draft if you organize it by position. It helps because you can see when a position is starting to get shallow and when it may help to take someone. I also then go through and mark people that I like/don't like, injury risks, sleepers, busts, etc. I tend to mark a few people per position that I like for that year, so I can see easier who I should look for when at the middle/end of the draft. It helps keep me organized and keeps me from getting stuck with a junker at a position for the most part.

I do it on excel and have the position tabs below, one tab I have is for "call outs" guys I dont want or think will be overvalued that I intend to call and get people spending their $$. Your point about positions is so true, especially in an auction because if you get to that last guy in the last significant tier of a position, and there are three owners with money who need it you just discovered serious inflation.

I do it on excel and have the position tabs below, one tab I have is for "call outs" guys I dont want or think will be overvalued that I intend to call and get people spending their $$. Your point about positions is so true, especially in an auction because if you get to that last guy in the last significant tier of a position, and there are three owners with money who need it you just discovered serious inflation.

I also have a column for the people I like for how far I would go. The worst iws when you get caught up in a bidding war and lose track of how much you are spending. To go with your strategy of call out guys, this year, I ended up keeping 2 MI's (Tejada and Cozart), so every round, I brought up a MI. Starlin Castro, Tulo, Hanley, Reyes, etc. Right down the line and got people to overspend big time. Let me sneak in at the end and pick up Aaron Hill on the cheap and I also picked up a cheap Everth Cabrera at the end.

I also have a column for the people I like for how far I would go. The worst iws when you get caught up in a bidding war and lose track of how much you are spending. To go with your strategy of call out guys, this year, I ended up keeping 2 MI's (Tejada and Cozart), so every round, I brought up a MI. Starlin Castro, Tulo, Hanley, Reyes, etc. Right down the line and got people to overspend big time. Let me sneak in at the end and pick up Aaron Hill on the cheap and I also picked up a cheap Everth Cabrera at the end.

What funny in the auction is that for many years, my philosophy was always "call who you dont want" or positions you dont plan to spend $$ on or in your case you already have, etc. But the last few years, both baseball and football, there is a balance where you want to be flexible (like you said, watch the $$ your spending) So I kind of lay out my roster and budget with sort of a plan ABC etc, being flexible for values of course.

But the hard part is when your BC's come out before your plan A, you dont go on them and then they do come out and are totally inflated and your whole plan is shot, but you dont want to regret calling them out at the wrong time (because so much of auction is when a guy gets called) so that has been the real challenge for me over the last couple of years, is that sometimes you may just need to roll the dice at some point and get your Plan A out there before your B's and C's are gone.