Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clockworkstarman

How Many Trades Typical For A Season?

48 posts in this topic

I've made three trades so far and trying to do another this week. Constantly changing signature is a little annoying but figure you have to stay fluid, especially with byes coming up. Thoughts?

None if you're the tightwads in my league, despite my best efforts. Through two seasons there has only been one trade and it was for 2 defenses.

4 people like this

I've made only 1 involving players. 3 others with draft picks before the draft. Unfortunately everyone is stingy but apparently will trade with everyone else in my league for worse deals. Anyway.... Last season in my main league I wound up with only 3 players I drafted remaining on my team.

If you are not happy with my team and you think you can improve your team than I guess it doesn't matter how many you do. My league doesn't seem to be interested in trades(or maybe the terrible teams already gave up). So, no trades in my league so far except I have one I sent out.

The success of my late round picks and waiver wire pickups, and any needs I have usually determine how many trades I do in a given season. I usually end up making one or two trades.

The ability to make trades has a lot to do with how much other managers are paying attention. No matter how carefully I choose the league, there always seems to be some teams that are almost dormant.

Constantly changing signature is a little annoying

Talk about a first world problem...

27779724.jpg

6 people like this

It seems playing with people who never trade would get boring, like if you had a top qb and Matt Ryan or rg3, it would get frustrating to have them both and have a need in a spot where someone is stacked but has Vick or Romo at qb and yet they refuse to make a deal. That's part of the game to me

If managers are in it to win, trades are a great vehicle to do that.

But it takes managers who are paying attention, which definitely isn't always the case.

It also takes managers with the right approach. Many times managers aim to get obvious best of the deal when they do a trade. Lumping together waiver wire fodder for a RB1/WR1. That approach isn't going to get many trades done.

Someone on the board once said that he/she builds a trade with helping the other team in mind. More of that mindset would get trades done.

One league I'm in (a $400 league) has been on a bit of a spiral downward in this regard. 4 managers simply refuse to trade. They just have zero interest. One of them has starting RB's of Brown/Ingram/FJax/KSmith and the guy would rather trot out Ingram and Smith rather than entertain offers. He is stacked at WR as well, but I guess he thinks that will carry him alone.

I also have two other managers that think their players are better than yours, because they drafted them. I had an offer to a guy which was pretty fair, he said I was insane, then offered his Ryan Williams for my Dwayne Bowe, because Williams has a "ton" of upside and Bowe is hurt and had only one good week.

That leaves me with only 5 other managers to trade with. One manager is so stacked he doesn't need anything, or my players would only be marginal upgrades. That leaves only 4 other people to trade with which just stinks.

You don't realize how dull it can be when no one is interested in really giving out offers. It makes you not want to gamble at the draft at all and always get your guys, for fear someone else might draft him and he might be locked away forever because the owner refuses to trade.

1 person likes this

People always overvalue their own players. I'll usually pull off two or three a year, but it's always with the same 3 or 4 guys in a 12 team league.

Ours is an auction keeper league, guys go up 1.5 from year before, plus a 2 round college draft, so there are commodities to trade.

Last year, I think I made like 3 signficant trades.

I think part of what happens now is that we all read this stuff on this site or other sites or get advice on TV/Radio and so its hard to get out in front of something. Our auction was wierd this year, so hardly anyone has much depth at RB, and everyone seems ok at WR, so everyone you talk to about trades is trying to do the same thing.

The one guy who actually could have RB to trade and maybe needs some WR, logs onto the site about once every 2 weeks, just isnt that involved.

None in my league so far. I was working on one, but came to a stalemate.

I traded Brandon Lloyd for Alfred Morris and Justin Blackmon, two weeks ago. Back then, Lloyd's star was on the rise, Blackmon was just about waiver wire material, and Morris was a rookie on Mike Shanahan's team who had a couple of good weeks.

But I autodrafted, was stacked at WR, and had no answer when Forte went down. So I went looking at rosters that had extra running backs and were light on WRs.

I guess the moral of the story, is you have to give something to get something. I think trades aren't done, because managers haven't embraced this.

I believe good managers do understand this. You have to hope you are in a league with a few.

It also starts with managers who had a good draft. I think managers with hope are more like to trade, and hope begins with a decent foundation.

I typically make 4-6 trades a year, and usually because I always snag hot players off the WW and sell them to hurting owners. Granted, I play in a league where many of the owners don't scour the WW like I do.

I don't think there's a cap on how many trades you could/should make. If you feel you can improve your team through any form of transaction, do it. The point of all of this is to win, so do whatever you have to do to accomplish that.

1 person likes this

I usually like to trade, but this season my team just doesnt allow me to yet. My bench is stacked with solid bye week fill-ins, and I cant get rid of them until they play. Anything I do right now will hurt me over the short and long haul, unless its a really lopsided trade. I think in about 3 weeks ill be able to move on something.

For reference, I think my money league has had 3-4 trades this season.

I just wish the people in my league would acknowledge that I've made an offer with a decline. My feelings won't be hurt. I hate watching trade offers "expire".

7 people like this

Only two trades in my league this year. Two other guys traded Nicks for Matthews because he needed a running back. I made the other trade and that was because I needed a QB. Traded Morris after week 1 for Jake Locker.

I've approached EVERY team and it seems like only about 2 or 3 are even willing to consider a trade. One guy will actually negotiate and we've both been offered decent deals but neither went through.It's like everybody is content with how they're doing. It doesn't matter which team I go to, the teams at the top or the teams at teh bottom. No one wants to deal.

Made 3 trades this year. Completed 2 of them. Usually am close to some kind of deal with somebody every week. I'm a vulture out there offering deals to every owner. I only ever negotiate with like 5 of them though. lol

I just wish the people in my league would acknowledge that I've made an offer with a decline. My feelings won't be hurt. I hate watching trade offers "expire".

I don't want to sit there thinking you just haven't seen it yet only to find out the person isn't interested

1-2 in smart, competitive leagues.

Zero in dumbass leagues because all anyone does is try to rip me off.

None in the pussy league I play in. 100 buck league and the little girls don't even contemplate it or try, I can't stand the league.

Id so love to get into a solid league around here next year.

Only two trades in my league this year. Two other guys traded Nicks for Matthews because he needed a running back. I made the other trade and that was because I needed a QB. Traded Morris after week 1 for Jake Locker.

I've approached EVERY team and it seems like only about 2 or 3 are even willing to consider a trade. One guy will actually negotiate and we've both been offered decent deals but neither went through.It's like everybody is content with how they're doing. It doesn't matter which team I go to, the teams at the top or the teams at teh bottom. No one wants to deal.

The reality is that there is usually only a couple teams where a trade makes sense on both ends. So offering every team is a lost cause. Where they are in the standings shouldn't matter a whole lot (except teams in the basement will be more desperate and willing to bail on players to get a 1 week fix).

If you want to shore up a weak spot, you look at every team and find 1-2 who have a surplus at your position of need. Then you hope that you can deal them someone that will help them.

It has to make sense on both sides.

1 person likes this

I've done 3 in my keeper league thus far, but mostly because my team in that league stinks and I'm already building for 2013. Working on another one as well.

There have been 6 trades in my league so far and I have been involved in all 6 (see sig). Didn't necessarily plan on being this active after the draft but a slow start (I'm 0-4) will make you do strange things. I think my team will be fine in the long run and I could have maybe shown a little more patient but you sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

My league this year has yet to execute a trade and I've yet to find anyone even open to discussing reasonable trades that didn't involve ridiculous demands being made. It's frustrating considering there are guys who clearly need to make moves to strengthen their teams and they aren't even open to it.