Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winky

Boston Red Sox 2013 Outlook

62 posts in this topic

Who will they turn to this time?

Who knows how things are done around Boston?

Did the Red Sox get rid of enough of the malcontents or is more house cleaning in order?

Is Bozo the Clown still available or does he just do birthdays?

Who would really want to manage that little pissant Pedroia? He is such an instigator. Valentine was terrible, but Pedroia poisoned that clubhouse from the start of the season.

While Valentine was bad, he was not the only reason for their decline. The players were against everything from the start and never gave it a chance. It doesn't really matter who the manager is if the players aren't going to accept him, he's not going to succeed. The players are what need to be improved. Getting rid of Beckett helped, but Pedroia and others still need to change their attitudes or leave if the Red Sox want to be successful.

Who will they turn to this time?

Who knows how things are done around Boston?

Did the Red Sox get rid of enough of the malcontents or is more house cleaning in order?

Is Bozo the Clown still available or does he just do birthdays?

The Red Sox though, are not where theyve been say 5 years ago talent wise. Yes it was good to get rid of some of the weight of that $$: Gonzales, Beckett, Crawford, Youkilis etc...however they still have a lot and a lot of question marks.

A few thoughts....

1. Valentine had no shot at succeeding. The starting pitching was a disaster before the team reported for spring training and the Ellsbury injury early in the season really hurt their chances.

2. Bobby V did himself no favors with how he conducted himself throughout the season.

3. I don't get the recent report of the Blue Jays 'not standing in John Farrell's way' if he wants the gig. Maybe the Jays have soured on him, but I would never just let him go manage a division rival unless I was getting worthwhile compensation back.

Farrell can go ahead and move to Boston. Jays fan here. We all pretty much share the same sentiment. Is he terrible? Probably not. Is he worth fighting over? No. Just no.

Give us a decent prospect or player and it's done. The only hang up is the whole "Jays are a stepping stone to the big leagues 'Sox'".

Personally I don't give a s---.

Looks like Farrell is their guy.

According to CSN New England's Sean McAdam, the Red Sox have hired John Farrell to be their next manager.

Compensation for Toronto will be announced in the next couple of days. Farrell has already agreed to a three-year contract with the Red Sox, for whom he served as a pitching coach from 2007-2010. It's a reunion of sorts, though it'd be a shame if it turns out to be a costly one. The Blue Jays likely demanded a legitimate prospect.

According to CSN New England's Sean McAdam, the Red Sox have hired John Farrell to be their next manager.

Compensation for Toronto will be announced in the next couple of days. Farrell has already agreed to a three-year contract with the Red Sox, for whom he served as a pitching coach from 2007-2010. It's a reunion of sorts, though it'd be a shame if it turns out to be a costly one. The Blue Jays likely demanded a legitimate prospect.

Looks like Mike Aviles is headed to Toronto as compensation.

I still think its dumb for a team to give up a player for a manager, but then again, my opinion of managers is that their only job is to not wear out the bullpen and not to do stupid stuff to lose games.

Wonder why Farrell even wanted to go back to that trainwreck of a franchise. They are obviously "rebuilding" and he had a more talented roster in Toronto with Bautista/Lawrie/Encarnacion. Blue Jays were going to be aggressive spenders in free agency.

I guess money..

I never agreed with Boston firing Francona, but thanks! The team doesnt look too good and will need some holes plugged esp pitching wise to compete anytime soon.

I still think its dumb for a team to give up a player for a manager, but then again, my opinion of managers is that their only job is to not wear out the bullpen and not to do stupid stuff to lose games.

Mike Aviles isn't even a horrible player. I know he had stretches this year where he was horrible, but he managed to put up 13 homers and 14 steals. Not sure why they would just let him go. At least the Ozzie and Theo compensation players were just minor leaguers that likely aren't going to make it.

I'm marking Aviles down for 40 HR next year.

Funny how they brought back someone from Francona's staff...

I thought that regime was too lenient on the players?

Maybe they're willing to let the inmates run the asylum once again?

That said, the most prominent guys left from those teams are Pedroia, Ortiz, and Lester. Everybody else is pretty much gone already.

They have poor starting pitching and bullpen. They don't have the offense to overcome it. That said, I think they'll be able to spend their way back into contention in a few seasons if they spend their money wisely. They have a decent farm system as well with Bogaerts, Bradley, and Barnes among others (I actually like Sands with the green monster. He never got much of a shot in LA). Packaging Beckett and Crawford with Agonz was the best move this franchise has made in years, and imo speeds up the rebuilding process.

They will be overrated like they have been since they starting spending big cash after the first WS

Sox better not spend this year, the free agent class is nothing to covet really. Rather just keep building and developing.

The Red Sox have signed Mike Napoli to a three-year, $39 million deal, according to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman.

At 3y/$39M, I like Napoli on the Red Sox. Really nice value. I had heard he was seeking 4y deal and wasn't keen on seeing that happen. If his swing translates to Fenway all season long, then it's gonna be a lot of fun seeing this guy crush some baseballs. I envision a .275/36/92 as a full-time first basemen in Boston. I can also see him exceeding his career high of 25 doubles. Nice start to the Sox offseason.

At 3y/$39M, I like Napoli on the Red Sox. Really nice value. I had heard he was seeking 4y deal and wasn't keen on seeing that happen. If his swing translates to Fenway all season long, then it's gonna be a lot of fun seeing this guy crush some baseballs. I envision a .275/36/92 as a full-time first basemen in Boston. I can also see him exceeding his career high of 25 doubles. Nice start to the Sox offseason.

Most sites had him signing about a 11-12 million per deal so the Sox overpaid a tad, but Napoli should do damage on the monster.....His defense at 1b is pretty bad but he's going to hit bombs when he's on....

If he exceeds expectations, then this could be the best value contract the Sox has given out in sometime. The Sox have sucked pretty bad recently on handing out multi-year deals. Also, there aren't too many starting 1B make less than $13m that will meet/exceed his overall production.