Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Harsh

2012 AL Wild Card: BAL @ TEX

45 posts in this topic

It's gonna be tough topping what came before it...

If any game could though, it would be a game in TEX, no lead is truly safe. But yeah for pure theatrics, not a chance.

Well I'm wrong all over the place. Time to slow down pounding beers.

Here we go again error leads to a run

What? That wasn't an error. McLouth was safe even though the throw was off. He didn't get any extra bases from the throw.

Here we go again error leads to a run

What? That wasn't an error. McLouth was safe even though the throw was off. He didn't get any extra bases from the throw.

N McLouth safe at first on error by first baseman M Young.

1-1 after 1. Come on Saunders. He looked horrible in that first innning. A Steve Johnson sighting may not be far away if he doesn't look any better.

what does Buck Showalter know that we dont?? Joe Saunders is dog doo. Why would he start in a must win game?

Poor Reynolds. He's taken a beating leately. He fouls a ball off his foot a few days ago before getting hit tonight.

Don't really have a problem with the O's starting Saunders. Try and get 4-5 innings of keeping them in the game and get it to the pen and keep top starters available in the case that they end up in the ALDS against NY.

Two schools of thought really:

Go all out to get there and reduce your chances to win if you do OR risk it a bit and put yourself in a better position if you do indeed make it.

Either way the O's aren't beating the Yankees. Texas would probably beat the Yankees though. The O's just don't have the firepower to compete with the Yankees.

Napoli with two horrid ABs. Swinging at pitches way out of the zone and taking strikes. He and Hamilton just look clueless.

Either way the O's aren't beating the Yankees. Texas would probably beat the Yankees though. The O's just don't have the firepower to compete with the Yankees.

I'd whole-heartedly agree if the O's hadn't played them as tough as they did in the regular season. The Yankees are WAY better on paper, yet that didn't play out on the field. Stats wise, the O's are obviously the worst team that is in the playoffs. Can you quantify their clutch rating though? Their record in one run games can't just be luck. There is something there that when a game is close they step up. As a math teacher it bothers me, but clearly they have some quality that makes them more likely to win a close game than the team playing against them.

Neither of these teams are afraid of the Yankees. What is guaranteed is that they will have used up a lot of resources to win this game that the Yankees won't in watching it. That to me gives the Yankees a leg up in the series.

As evidence of their 9-9 season series of course...

This has the feeling of a game Baltimore will win. Texas is playing tight. Saunders is just garbage and they've had numerous chances to do damage against him. Darvish is nasty and Texas hasn't been able to take advantage of a much weaker starting pitcher. Baltimore's bullpen is their strength, and Saunders is just asking to get pounded.

O's have played them hard all year. That would definitely be a great series to watch. Two bitter rivals that don't like each other. That would be very entertaining.

As evidence of their 9-9 season series of course...

That 9-9 record is irrelevant. The Yankees are healthy now. And throwing Sabathia, Kuroda, and Pettite 1-2-3 instead of Garcia (2), Nova (3), Hughes (4), Phelps (3). 12 Games started by pitchers not named Kuroda/CC/Andy.

O's have played them hard all year. That would definitely be a great series to watch. Two bitter rivals that don't like each other. That would be very entertaining.

O's are a nice story but against CC/Kuroda/Pettite and with that healthy Yankee offense they have no shot (in my opinion). I hope I'm wrong because I like the O's story, but my brain is saying heck no.

Texas/NYY would be the more competitive series.