Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proteus

Isn't It Time To Give Up?

86 posts in this topic

If you spent a summer arguing why this guy is going to blow up iffykins tay elthee, or that guy is going to become the phenom we expected---because he's only going to get better...as opposed to defenses getting better at defending him...aren't we left with a giant pile of s------- in any case?

Aren't we?

It's a shipwreck.

It's a scandall.

It's a total scramble every week.

I appreciate the info I get here as a website.

But in these threads...aren't we just playing volleyball with the obvious at best? And at worst, obscuring the meaning of reality?

Dag.

This was a lot better in my head than on the page.

I'll have to try again some other time.

And I reserve the right to contradict myself by joining back into the threads I scorned.

But some of these threads(see McFadden, Julio Jones) read like a Shakespearean tragedy.

1. The hero rises to prominence to the adoration of the people.

2. The hero falls, usually via an internal flaw.

3. The people turn on him, tear him limb from limb, and look for a new hero.

I guess I just don't see the point at times, other than the lesson learned.

Most leagues will be won by attrition, tenacity, luck, RGIII, and having this mentality working the waiver wire:

Sorry about this thread, mods. If you delete it you won't hurt my feelings.

3 people like this

The plight of the Existential Kamikaze is often horribly misconstrued as drunken, incoherent psycho-babble.

That, and I'm all-in with Julio/DMac as well ... :wub:

1 person likes this

I'll have what you're having.

Strong username to thread content correlation.

Look at team 1 in my sig. Considering renaming it Legatron and the Buylows.

2 people like this

What is the point of this thread? I can't make sense of what I am reading here.

1 person likes this

The point is to consider the possibility that all of the conjecture, no matter how well supported by evidence--quantitative and/or qualitative--is ultimately fruitless as the Brandon Boldens and Brian Hartlines of the world show up to shred your DeMarco Murrays and Calvin Johnsons.

One desired takeaway is to temper the tendency to sound sure of oneself and to limit the time spent arguing about these things in a vain attempt to predict what will happen.

3 people like this

Are you actually reading this, or is it all a dream? What is reality? I hate Darren McFadden. Corn pops.

1 person likes this

Are you actually reading this, or is it all a dream? What is reality? I hate Darren McFadden. Corn pops.

Inception!

"Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange." -Quote from the movie

I know what this guy is saying. No matter how much you analyze how great a defense is against the pass, how the number 1 wr has gotten at best 4 points on average even with Aaron Rodgers or Peyton throwing to them, and you know all the intel in the world says player x is sub par and the qb is even worse, that guy will ruin your week by dropping 35 points on you. Thats fanasty football, especially h2h, because week to week can be so volitale. Your stud rb vs the worst rush defense of this century can put up less than his hail mary rb4 who is facing the 49ers.

Sometimes it does feel fruitless to analyze, but I genuinely enjoy the analysis and talking about it as well as getting insight. I look at fantasy football as a mix between stocks and poker. You do as much analysis as you can and put yourself in the best position to suceed, but luck can intervene and totally ruin your "sure bet." Was I laughing when my opponent started hartline as his wr1 because of his slew of injuries? Yes. But in the end he single handidly won the week. However I know that I went in with aces and my opponent had ace-king, it just so happened he won this time even though he had the inferior "hand."

Like poker or stocks, fantasy football is about putting yourself in the best position to win, but knowing full well that the only thing that trumps knowledge any given week is luck. Lets not kid ourselves luck is over 50% of fantasy football between injuries and sheer craziness, but thats still better odds than most gambling games. As long as you are going in with the best hand you are giving yourself the best chance of winning over the long run. Maybe this week you lose, this season turns out terribly, but by doing the research and making the right objective decision, you will win more than most in the long run.

Also this is fun as sh*t and now that im in my mid 20s and engaged, its a great way to keep in touch with friends that are spread out over the country or wifed up and doing their own family thing. And while the lows suck when you put so much of your free time doing this, the wins are that much sweeter. Fantasy football makes every thursday, sunday, and monday exciting.

5 people like this

And then nothing turned itself inside out...

1 person likes this

I know what this guy is saying. No matter how much you analyze how great a defense is against the pass, how the number 1 wr has gotten at best 4 points on average even with Aaron Rodgers or Peyton throwing to them, and you know all the intel in the world says player x is sub par and the qb is even worse, that guy will ruin your week by dropping 35 points on you. Thats fanasty football, especially h2h, because week to week can be so volitale. Your stud rb vs the worst rush defense of this century can put up less than his hail mary rb4 who is facing the 49ers.

Sometimes it does feel fruitless to analyze, but I genuinely enjoy the analysis and talking about it as well as getting insight. I look at fantasy football as a mix between stocks and poker. You do as much analysis as you can and put yourself in the best position to suceed, but luck can intervene and totally ruin your "sure bet." Was I laughing when my opponent started hartline as his wr1 because of his slew of injuries? Yes. But in the end he single handidly won the week. However I know that I went in with aces and my opponent had ace-king, it just so happened he won this time even though he had the inferior "hand."

Like poker or stocks, fantasy football is about putting yourself in the best position to win, but knowing full well that the only thing that trumps knowledge any given week is luck. Lets not kid ourselves luck is over 50% of fantasy football between injuries and sheer craziness, but thats still better odds than most gambling games. As long as you are going in with the best hand you are giving yourself the best chance of winning over the long run. Maybe this week you lose, this season turns out terribly, but by doing the research and making the right objective decision, you will win more than most in the long run.

Also this is fun as sh*t and now that im in my mid 20s and engaged, its a great way to keep in touch with friends that are spread out over the country or wifed up and doing their own family thing. And while the lows suck when you put so much of your free time doing this, the wins are that much sweeter. Fantasy football makes every thursday, sunday, and monday exciting.

This is exactly right.

I guess I've stopped enjoying the analysis is what it boils down to...or rather, it feels like it's leading to too much second guessing which then leads to regret, which can then lead to rage, which can put my laptop and drywall in mutual peril.

the thread is like hanging out with Danny in "Withnail and I" :D

"If I medicined you, a brain tumor would feel like a birthday present"

danny_withnail-and-i.jpg

2 people like this

Every year some long time fantasy football players start off the season with some losses and some big injuries and they get emo about it and threaten to not play fantasy football forever.... next year they always come back. I've heard Bill Simmons and Michael A Smith of ESPN have this emo-fest on podcasts.

Grow a sack, finish the season out, learn from your mistakes, and do better.

Nobody cares that you're having an off year except you. If fantasy football is that important to you that a bad season really makes you want to take your ball and go home... then gambling (which this really is) isn't for you.

Every year some long time fantasy football players start off the season with some losses and some big injuries and they get emo about it and threaten to not play fantasy football forever.... next year they always come back. I've heard Bill Simmons and Michael A Smith of ESPN have this emo-fest on podcasts.

Grow a sack, finish the season out, learn from your mistakes, and do better.

Nobody cares that you're having an off year except you. If fantasy football is that important to you that a bad season really makes you want to take your ball and go home... then gambling (which this really is) isn't for you.

yea lol....it does suck when things don't go your way, but I'm sure every single person on this thread thinks they are the most in tuned with and the best fantasy football player....but as other people in this thread said...no matter how well you are set up....your pocket aces can get busted by 4-5 offsuit more often than you would think.....it's not controllable and sometimes bad fantasy players do well and good fantasy players do bad...such is life....deal with it and stop crying 1!!!