Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jugernot

Byron Mullens 2012-2013 Season Outlook

551 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of him this year? From reading the training camp updates on the bobcats it looks like this guy is draining three's. However, he was a pretty poor rebounder from what I remember last year. anyway he averages a three and a block?

Poor rebounding, low blocks and fg% issues are going to torpedo any value he has from his counting stats. Im passing in all formats.

Poor man's Bargs that seems even weaker inside. if he gets minutes he might help with some threes.

Not to mention Haywood, Tyrus Thomas n Biyombo........all capable to play 20+minutes a game, not easy for him

I read a couple of sentiments elsewhere on the net comparing this guy to Ryan Anderson. Let me go on the record and state that much like Dan Quayle was no Jack Kennedy as pointed out by Lloyd Benson in 88, Byron Mullens is NO Ryan Anderson...

Mullens is simply a benefactor of his environment. On a good team he's probably a 15-20 MPG C/F. I think he fits a little better playing the 4 this season, for mostly defensive purposes (staying in the game). But I think he only really helps in PTS, and that's it. He's probably gonna jack up the ball every time he touches it, if that's what you're looking for. I like him alot more in PPM leagues just because he will launch the rock alot, ala Drew Gooden.

Tough to ignore the preseason numbers he's putting up. I'll take that kind of production as a 12th round pick. In 3 games so far he's averaging:

27 MPG, 52% FG, 46% 3pt, 3.3 3s/g, 71% FT, 6 rebs, 1 ast, 1stl, 1blk, 1.3 TO, 15.7 PPG

I agree w/ everyone that he's not that good. This does not matter though if he's getting minutes and putting up stats.

he's been lighting it up in the preseason. i don't even know what the situation is in charlotte (is it just him and biyombo??) but if he gets time he can put up 2 3's a game.

Poor man's Bargs that seems even weaker inside. if he gets minutes he might help with some threes.

This seems look a good comparison. I think he's a little bit better of a rebounder but not by much, he is taking a ton of 3s so far though. He's a decent late round pick

In 7 games last year in April where he played 30 minutes or more, he averaged 15 points, 8 boards, .5 3's, 42% shooting. Tyrus Thomas is done. This guy can shoot and his range is expanding. Im hoping to take his last round or pick him up as waiver wire add during the year if he sticks in the starting lineup. He could be a nice add for a back up center/PF.

He's great in short stretches, but he's a frustrating player to own for long periods of time. He's at his best when a lot of the offense flows through him, so I wouldn't touch him unless he's solidified as the team's starting Power Forward.

maybe we should put the disclaimer on him that not only are his good numbers so far this year during the preseason, but they're also against the Hornets twice and the Wizards.

Check out what he did today!

OH YEAH, and he's doing this against the Thunder! attempted 10 threes!! made 4!

6/16 FG%! No Blocks! Only 4 Rebounds!

Still, he's averaging 3.7 3PM/g over 4 pre-season games and seems to be locked in at the 4. Should be worth a last round pick.

he tends to show promise only to disappoint......i'm not fallin for it this time. if he shows some ability to put up some consistent numbers, i'll consider it. as of now, i wouldn't touch him until he proves he can keep up the solid production.

Not much to lose as a last round pick. Can always drop for lets say Tristan Thompson or something.

Like stated above he jacked up 10 three balls last night, is he really going to fire up this many attempts, or even HALF during the regular season?

You usually don't see to many 7 foot centers hoisting 3's like it's the all star game.... obviously though his coach isn't saying "STOP SHOOTING 3's" so I could see him continuing this, now if he makes them on the other hand once teams are pressing him more, thats a whole new question....

I think it's hard to gauge this guy. It's preseason. He's hoisting up 3's which tells us they are interested in him being a stretch 4 in plays. I don't think his value changes that much in maybe the possibility of .75+ 3PM. The upside is he's gonna play alot and get PTS, and everything else gravy. Still the same late rounder.

I think it's hard to gauge this guy. It's preseason. He's hoisting up 3's which tells us they are interested in him being a stretch 4 in plays. I don't think his value changes that much in maybe the possibility of .75+ 3PM. The upside is he's gonna play alot and get PTS, and everything else gravy. Still the same late rounder.

Yeah I'm interested because i play in a h2h pts league, so big men that can shoot a 3 ball on top of other things = MORE FPTS. He is hard to gauge but he's young, and on a team with opportunity to create minutes for himself.

I think he will have games that make you think about drafting him (especially vs Washington/Hornets/etc) throughout the season, and even a few stretches where he seems to be putting it together. He had his streaks and random good games last year too. He is going to wilt against any opposing player he may face who has an average or greater level of defensive ability. I don't trust him to provide consistent stats throughout the year, tried to ride it out last year and got burned.

1 person likes this

BYRON MULLENS, PF/C, CHA -- ADP 140.0

Sometimes, we see a dramatic change in a player’s game during the preseason. We’re seeing it with Byron Mullens. Last year, he started 25 games but attempted just 1.6 treys in those games. In four preseason games, he’s attempting 8.0 treys per game and making 43.7 percent of them. That’s 3.5 3-pointers per game. Keep in mind that Mullens is 7’0/275, locked into the starting power forward job and will block at least 0.8 shots per game on accident.

I'm liking this guy's prospects this year now with the 3 pt threat. I might consider taking him as soon as Rd. 11, but will expect the same inconsistency he showed last year.

I'm liking this guy's prospects this year now with the 3 pt threat. I might consider taking him as soon as Rd. 11, but will expect the same inconsistency he showed last year.

Would you take him in front of DeAndre Jordan or David West??