Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jb_power

2012 NLDS: Reds vs. Giants

37 posts in this topic

Cincy in BIG TROUBLE. They have no rotation depth and while they have a better lineup than SF, I saw this as like the Tigers. They need their best pitcher to win. The Giants pitching has too much capability to shut them down to 2-3 runs a game to lose a guy like Cueto.

Cincy in BIG TROUBLE. They have no rotation depth and while they have a better lineup than SF, I saw this as like the Tigers. They need their best pitcher to win. The Giants pitching has too much capability to shut them down to 2-3 runs a game to lose a guy like Cueto.

Probably, but SF no offensive powerhouse. Latos, then Bailey on the road, really shouldn't be bad.

With Cueto injured, can Leake be added, or not til next series (I think not until next series, anyone sure?)?

Nevermind, DJ Short just posted on twitter:

The Reds could replace Cueto on the roster (and add Mike Leake), However, Cueto would be ineligible for the NLCS if the Reds advance.

Reds take Game 1 with a 5-2 road win

Chapman with a shaky 9th with a hit, 2 BBs and 1 run

9-0 2nd game? Ouch. But this really isnt all that surprising, maybe total futulity by Giant bats, but in terms of who will win this series?

Think about it as fantasy guys who know stats, Giants vs Reds.

Probably all but 2 positions C and 3B (and I know some might rather have the Frazier/Rolen combo than Sandoval) you would probably rather have the Reds. Starting P probably goes to Giants, but this year not by the margin one might think and the bullpen isnt even close right now and BOTH teams lost their presumed closer: Giants lost Wilson and Reds lost Madson, so it cant all be put on the loss of the Beard.

I realize the Giants are never one of those teams that looks great on paper and I know its easy to say after the fact, but if you look at it in retrospect, the Reds are the much better team.

The Giants right now have over $30 Million in payroll in 2012 tied up to Aaron Rowand, Freddy Sanchez, and Aubrey Huff. Couple that with the Melk mans 7 or 8 Million and they should be close to having $40 Million and they have one more year combined of another approximate 45 Million in 2013 of Zito and Lincecum.

They need to add a couple of legitimate bats to this lineup, the Dodgers stumbled over themselves a bit, but come next year, especially if Crawford is healthy I can easily see that being a 95+ win team. I think the Padres new ownership (O'Malley/Mickelson group), while it wont be in the Dodgers range is not going to be as cost conscious as the previous group as evidence by resigning Quentin and not trading Headley and they have good young pitching. Rockies should get Tulo back. So division gets tougher.

I would also take Pagan over Stubbs in CF and I consider Pence vs Bruce in RF even.

So that would make it 4 for the Reds and 3 for the Giants and 1 tie. Reds have a huge advantage at 1B with Votto but the Giants have a huge advantage at C with Posey.

Pagan and Scutaro were hot as table setters down the stretch ... ice cold for the 1st 2 games.

I would also take Pagan over Stubbs in CF and I consider Pence vs Bruce in RF even.

So that would make it 4 for the Reds and 3 for the Giants and 1 tie. Reds have a huge advantage at 1B with Votto but the Giants have a huge advantage at C with Posey.

Pagan and Scutaro were hot as table setters down the stretch ... ice cold for the 1st 2 games.

Hot versus a lot of Rockies, Dbacks, Pads, Cubs and Astros. Giants schedule from late August to the end of the season was probably among the weakest in baseball when you look at winning pct of opposition.

Pagan also hit .238 in last 12 games (two weeks) of the season. Stubbs was bad too, but Stubbs still had more HR and SB than Pagan in over 100 less at-bats (in part because he stunk too). I would rather have Bruce than Pence, but I could see the case for the tie, numbers are similar and they are similar in that they are both really streaky.

Posey is the only clear upgrade the Giants have at ANY position on the diamond over the Reds...

Votto Phillips Cozart Rolen/Frazier Bruce Stubbs and Ludwick are all better than the Giants counterparts.

You might be able to make an argument for Sandoval at 3b but his defense is also TERRIBLE compared to that of Rolen's...

Posey is the only clear upgrade the Giants have at ANY position on the diamond over the Reds...

Votto Phillips Cozart Rolen/Frazier Bruce Stubbs and Ludwick are all better than the Giants counterparts.

You might be able to make an argument for Sandoval at 3b but his defense is also TERRIBLE compared to that of Rolen's...

Would you say based on everything, the Giants are the least talented team in the playoffs?

Giants are suppose to get by with their elite pitching staff but Cain/Bumgarner didn't pitch well.

Rolen seems to be getting blamed for the loss? i thought that was a tough play and not even necessarily an error..the Hanigan passed ball was the real problem.

Resident Reds fan in my office is starting to panic...they wasted a great effort by Homer last night. obviously, if you had Cueto and Latos lined up you'd be feeling good, but what do you do now? if you deactivate Cueto to add Leake he's done for the next serious..and you are probably losing anyway and relying on Latos on game 5.

Or you try to win with Latos in game 4 and bring arroyo back on 3 days in game 5?

it gets dicey.

Rolen seems to be getting blamed for the loss? i thought that was a tough play and not even necessarily an error..the Hanigan passed ball was the real problem.

Resident Reds fan in my office is starting to panic...they wasted a great effort by Homer last night. obviously, if you had Cueto and Latos lined up you'd be feeling good, but what do you do now? if you deactivate Cueto to add Leake he's done for the next serious..and you are probably losing anyway and relying on Latos on game 5.

Or you try to win with Latos in game 4 and bring arroyo back on 3 days in game 5?

it gets dicey.

Agreed, above average runner high hop have to go after it hard and he got cuffed tweener hop, if the passed ball clank doesnt occur, its bases loaded and Giants have tough choice between their last hitter left on the bench or letting Sergio Romo hit with 2 outs and bases loaded.

Would you say based on everything, the Giants are the least talented team in the playoffs?

i would say that they are the least talented team offensively in the playoffs yes.

I would say that they are also have a top 3 staff which is the reason they have made it as far as they have.

i would say that they are the least talented team offensively in the playoffs yes.

I would say that they are also have a top 3 staff which is the reason they have made it as far as they have.

#3 team average in all of the NL post All Star break. Haters

2 people like this