Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poopdungbeatle

Damn the no trade clause.

the Lakers then asked for Raja Bell, Amare Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa.

thats more like it. amare is box office. thats more plausible than terry/howard. at this point i dont think the lakers can afford trying to avoid sending kobe to a western conf. contender or even a divisional rival. they should just accept teh best deal regardless. there just might be enough questionmarks surrounding amare's knees to make him expendable. only problem with that deal is that the suns would have no C.

thats more like it. amare is box office. thats more plausible than terry/howard. at this point i dont think the lakers can afford trying to avoid sending kobe to a western conf. contender or even a divisional rival. they should just accept teh best deal regardless. there just might be enough questionmarks surrounding amare's knees to make him expendable. only problem with that deal is that the suns would have no C.

They would have no C and a decent backup PG to spell some minutes for Nash, so I don't see the Suns doing any trades with the Lakers.

Sources: Kobe traded this week

Posted: Tuesday October 23, 2007 06:39AM ET

Some piped-in people in Los Angeles are convinced Kobe Bryant will not be a Laker Oct. 30 when they open the season, even if L.A. must accept an inequitable return for the league's preeminent talent; that's how repugnant he supposedly has become to the owner's senses. Bryant isn't going anywhere unless Phil Jackson says so. Evidently the entire Buss family - Jerry and Jim, not just Jeanie - has given Jackson personnel power.

Sources: Kobe traded this week

Posted: Tuesday October 23, 2007 06:39AM ET

Some piped-in people in Los Angeles are convinced Kobe Bryant will not be a Laker Oct. 30 when they open the season, even if L.A. must accept an inequitable return for the league's preeminent talent; that's how repugnant he supposedly has become to the owner's senses. Bryant isn't going anywhere unless Phil Jackson says so. Evidently the entire Buss family - Jerry and Jim, not just Jeanie - has given Jackson personnel power.

this little snippet doesnt match the title. if coach jackson has the final say, kobe wont go this week. hes not the one who has the problem with kobe (or finds him "repugnant"). i really doubt phil jackson wants to start over with an overhauled roster.

the buss family is showing their true colors though. theyre already preparing to deflect blame.

just read the article in the nypost that that site references. a bit off topic but this statement stuck out to me:

The young big men have gotten better, especially Andrew Bynum, who Pete Newell says showed the most improvement over a two-summer span than anyone else in his illustrious camp history.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10232007/sport...obe_in_line.htm

that is extremely high praise considering the amount of talent that's been through newell's big man camp. (shaq, bill walton, pippen, JO, marion, etc)

just read the article in the nypost that that site references. a bit off topic but this statement stuck out to me:

that is extremely high praise considering the amount of talent that's been through newell's big man camp. (shaq, bill walton, pippen, JO, marion, etc)

Or, it could mean that Bynum was really, really bad when he went there the first time.

Or, it could mean that Bynum was really, really bad when he went there the first time.

i think he was more raw than bad. the kid came into the league a late blooming 17 y/o. i think it says alot about how receptive he is to coaching and how good his work ethic is.

What were Pippen and Marion doing in, of all places, Pete Newell's Big Man Camp?

What were Pippen and Marion doing in, of all places, Pete Newell's Big Man Camp?

i dunno, trying to become better players?

Rumors are wild down here in Dallas that Kobe will be traded for Josh Howard, Jason Terry, and filler. This is supposed to happen before the season starts.

Although this seems like the Lakers are being raped (sorry Kobe) it's actually plausible. The Lakers didn't make the KG trade and assumable won't make the Jermaine O'Neal trade because they refuse to part with Andrew Bynum. To Kobe, that is saying that the Lakers aren't serious about building around him for a championship run.

Kobe wants to win another championship, so therefore he's not staying in LA. He can opt out of his contract in two years, AND he has a no-trade clause. So what Kobe is saying to the Lakers is that the opportunities to trade him are very limited. And the longer the Lakers wait, the less they get in return. So in essense, the Lakers either have him for two years and then get nothing in return, or have a fire sale on him now. The Lakers are building for the longer term (hence their refusal to lose Bynum) and they are choosing the fire sale option.

The Lakers opting to trade with the Mavs makes sense. They get Josh Howard - an all-star player, plus a professional combo gaurd in JET. Luol Deng/Ben Gordon or Hinrich is comparable from the Lakers point of view. But of those players, J-Ho is the guy I like the most. He's kind of like a Kobe-light that can't pass. He's got 3-point range and can penetrate or get an open shot any time he wants. He's capable of stepping into the Lakers and being the go-to 25+ ppg scorer. He's also a 2-ended player. And the way Josh's game has improved every year, I'd expect him to grow as a passer. Luol Deng is a good player, but he doesn't have the range and he needs someone to pass him the ball. He's also only averaged around 10 shot attempts per game, so I question what would happen if you asked him to take 20.

Anyway ... we'll see what happens.