Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjb4385

Cleveland Browns 2013 Season Outlook

125 posts in this topic

why not, their QB will be a year or 2 from retirement by the time he reaches his prime

Aside from the fact that I am a huge Browns fan, I just think it will be a very interesting situation. A team that has been SO starved for a franchise QB will finally have the #1 pick, a year after they make a questionable move to draft a 29 y/o guy late in the 1st round.

Geno Smith anyone?

I think theyd probably be better served with Barkley. The knock on Smith in my eyes is that Holgorsen's QB's have always put up disgusting numbers (see his time at Texas Tech, Houston and Ok St), the system facilitates it and as a result of that I just dont know how much I want to trust a guy coming from his spread system that slings the rock like they do.

If Weeden keeps progressing as well as he has from week 1 to now, they should trade down to 8-10 and fill in some of the many holes they have.

I like the way their D looks when full strength, if their OL, WR, and TE can catch up, they'd be legit.

Josh Gordon could be good in the future. He's a project WR, but made an impact in last week's game. Gordon has a lot of talent and upside.

I would think they might trade down the #1 pick. Browns seem to really like Weeden and like someone posted above he doesnt seem to be the problem.

Either way ill be happy if they go with a stud QB #1.

http://espn.go.com/n...ial-sources-say

No surprise here. A bad hire to begin with as Holmgren was a good coach, but bad personnel man, even worse hiring decision for the head coach. Would love to see the new ownership come in and bring Cowher in, former Brown, returning home etc and a great coach too boot.

No surprise here. A bad hire to begin with as Holmgren was a good coach, but bad personnel man, even worse hiring decision for the head coach. Would love to see the new ownership come in and bring Cowher in, former Brown, returning home etc and a great coach too boot.

Forced out. They'll have a new HC and new direction in the offseason. If they get the first pick then they'll most likely take Barkley which makes the Weeden pick so puzzling. He traded away a difference maker in Julio Jones for some depth but unless Greg Little blows up, that trade will look like a fleecing.....In short, he was a massive failure.

Forced out. They'll have a new HC and new direction in the offseason. If they get the first pick then they'll most likely take Barkley which makes the Weeden pick so puzzling. He traded away a difference maker in Julio Jones for some depth but unless Greg Little blows up, that trade will look like a fleecing.....In short, he was a massive failure.

As a Browns fan, Cowher won't come back out of retirement. Wish he wouldm but he wont. That said, the Holmgren/HC change is a long time coming. I'd say they end up with Gruden, which could be good for Weeden (I honestly doubt they take a QB with first pick- they'll trade it) and the offense. Defense seems to be okay, albeit lacking in depth. Again, trading away top pick for extra ones would help them address secondary and defensive line depth. Also need another WR, but Weeden could potentially thrive under Gruden IMO. Or at least do well enough to hold them over until they can draft another QB in 2 years.

...Ugh.

As a Browns fan, Cowher won't come back out of retirement. Wish he wouldm but he wont. That said, the Holmgren/HC change is a long time coming. I'd say they end up with Gruden, which could be good for Weeden (I honestly doubt they take a QB with first pick- they'll trade it) and the offense. Defense seems to be okay, albeit lacking in depth. Again, trading away top pick for extra ones would help them address secondary and defensive line depth. Also need another WR, but Weeden could potentially thrive under Gruden IMO. Or at least do well enough to hold them over until they can draft another QB in 2 years.

...Ugh.

Id love to see them hire Gruden only so I dont have to listen to him on MNF. Team needs QB and WR help, not sold on Weeden a QB that old needs to come in and hit the ground running no time to develop him. Id look for them to make a move in 3rd/4th round range for a solid QB and we all know they can be found there.

...Ugh.

Definitely could trade down.....I think they do that if they can't get Barkley. They did already use their 2nd rounder on Gordon in the supplemental draft so if they get the 2nd or 3rd pick, they may trade down to get more picks. Still, they did that with Julio and right now it's not looking great, but there is still a ton of time.....Phil Taylor looks like a nice player.

Definitely could trade down.....I think they do that if they can't get Barkley. They did already use their 2nd rounder on Gordon in the supplemental draft so if they get the 2nd or 3rd pick, they may trade down to get more picks. Still, they did that with Julio and right now it's not looking great, but there is still a ton of time.....Phil Taylor looks like a nice player.

I honestly don't see them taking Barkley...they just drafted Weeden last year, it would be a complete waste to draft another QB the year after. Though they will need to replace him soon, they almost have to give him at least 2-3 years to prove if he can or cannot do the job. IMO they take Mingo/Jones with first pick (they'll likely be pick 2-4, I think Jax locks up 1st pick), or they are smart and trade down to re-acquire a 2nd rounder. Gotta take a corner at that point (looking at Milliner/Banks maybe?) to help out Haden. Plenty of WR talent in the second round, same goes for LB.

Would anticipate seeing them go QB in either 2014 or 2015 though.

At least he knows it.....Shurmur will most likely be gone too.

Fox Sports Ohio reports Browns GM Tom Heckert has been telling confidants that he believes he will be fired at the end of the season.

Heckert has reportedly been making calls since August, seeking a 2013 position with personnel department friends around the league. Heckert and new Browns president/CEO Joe Banner worked together in Philadelphia, but "weren't necessarily best friends," according to the Canton Repository. Banner will want to bring in his own general manager to turn the franchise around. Owner Jimmy Haslam will let head coach Pat Shurmur "play his way" into the job for 2013.

Browns will clean house but I bet we look back in 2-3 years and people give Holmgren a lot of credit for this foundation he has laid for the Browns. Trent Richardson looks like he is going to be an elite back, Josh Gordon looks great, Joe Haden is one of the best CB's in the league, Owen Marecic could have a Mack Strong like impact on the Browns running game -- very good fullback, Jordan Cameron is a super athlete TE he could develop into a very quality option, Greg Little could compliment Josh Gordon in the passing game, Jabaal Sheard had a really nice rookie season at DE, TJ Ward has shown very good progress the last few seasons. Losing D'Qwell Jackson hurt there D. But Holmgren has actually loaded that team with some very nice pieces. I think his biggest mistake was hiring Pat Shurmur as head coach. I don't think he was ready to lead a team, or was he the best guy to develop all the talent they have. But the pieces are in place in Cleveland, with the hiring of a new coach, and a few tweaks on there roster I think they are team on the rise come 2013.

I like their roster now compared to 4 years ago, but the on field product is still ugly.

No WR or TE playmaker. Constant upheaval at the QB spot.

I like the improvements he made, but the record needed to improve, and it never did.

With Peyton Manning playing at 36, it wouldn't be a stretch for Weeden to be their guy and play till he's that age. That's plenty of time for the Browns to shape into a contender and find their future QB. Right now, they'd be smart to beef up their O line & WR corps a "Little" "Mo". Little Mo. Get it :D . With Rodgers being the exception, guys like Brady, Brees, & E Manning look spectactular behind a strong offensive line. Weeden would look better too.

Holmgren is offically out......They got a big win vs a 3rd string QB today and even that was pulling teeth. I wonder who they'll get as their coach next season....

Browns announced Sunday that president Mike Holmgren is no longer part of the organization.

He'll meet with the media on Monday, at which point Holmgren can expect to be asked plenty of questions about his future, and a potential return to the sidelines. Rumors have linked him to the Cowboys' coaching job. Failing miserably in his second turn as a personnel chief, the writing was on the wall for Holmgren when the franchise was sold by Randy Lerner to Jimmy Haslam in August. Holmgren took over as Browns football "czar" in 2010, his tenure spanning just over 2 1/2 seasons. The Browns had a 12-31 record (.279) under his watch.

Holmgren is offically out......They got a big win vs a 3rd string QB today and even that was pulling teeth. I wonder who they'll get as their coach next season....

Browns announced Sunday that president Mike Holmgren is no longer part of the organization.

He'll meet with the media on Monday, at which point Holmgren can expect to be asked plenty of questions about his future, and a potential return to the sidelines. Rumors have linked him to the Cowboys' coaching job. Failing miserably in his second turn as a personnel chief, the writing was on the wall for Holmgren when the franchise was sold by Randy Lerner to Jimmy Haslam in August. Holmgren took over as Browns football "czar" in 2010, his tenure spanning just over 2 1/2 seasons. The Browns had a 12-31 record (.279) under his watch.

Never understood the hire to begin with. Good coach in SEA, but terrible with personnel. If he wants to stay in game, it needs to be coaching.

Bad news Browns, of course. From the moment the story broke Haslam was out, regardless of the NFL's public stance of "innocent until proven guilty." Such a shame, this guy had passion for the game and bringing a winning team to Cleveland.

adding desmond bryant and barkevious mingo make this an underrated dst. anyone else looking for big things out of this unit?

They've got plenty of talent on the defensive side, and I think Ray Horton is going to be an excellent defensive coordinator. I'm drafting Cleveland's D/ST at the end of all my drafts this year and expecting big things with Horton's aggressive style.