Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nickalero99

2012 ALCS: Tigers vs. Yankees

154 posts in this topic

Interesting how closely this series stacks up. Both teams have their aces pushed back due to pitching Game 5 of the DS. The pitching match-ups seem close if the guys get slotted in the same order.

Projected pitching match-ups:

Game 1: Fister vs. Pettitte

Game 2: Sanchez vs. Kuroda

Game 3: Verlander vs. ? Do the Yanks go with Sabathia on 3 days rest or Hughes?

Game 4: Scherzer vs. the other between Sabathia/Hughes

Bullpen favors the Yankees unless Benoit and Valverde can get it together.

Lineups are about even. Both tough top to bottom right now.

These teams had a tight series last year and I bet this one will be tight as well. As a Tiger fan, I'd love to say the Tigers are the favorite, but the biggest distinction between the teams is the 'pen and the Yanks have the edge there. 6 or 7 games is almost inevitable. I'd love to see a winner take all Verlander-CC game 7. Pretty pumped to see how the Tigers and Yankees stack up again this year.

The Yankees will really need to pull it together to beat the Tigers. They had their hands full with the Orioles and the Tigers are a much more complete, formidable adversary than the Orioles.

If the Yankees offense goes MIA like they did against the O's, the Tigers will win this series in 5 games

The one positive I'll take out of the LDS from a Yankees perspective is that that was probably the best pitched series by the Yankees in the last 10 years. Maybe more. Every starter went at least 7 innings and gave up 2 runs or less. Great pitching will always beat great hitting, so if they can keep that up, they should have a shot against a more potent Tigers lineup.

Yankees are at a disadvantage with the Tigers getting an extra day of rest.....if Kuroda starts Game 2, I believe that will be on 3 days rest, and the same would go for CC in Game 3.

Yankees are T-O-A-S-T.

I'm pretty sure you can give the Tigers the two Verlander starts.

Also, the Tigers have an arsenal of good right-handed hitters to go up against C.C. and Pettite: Cabrera, Young, Infante, Peralta, Jackson.

If starting pitching wins in the playoffs, the Tigers should win this series. The SPs had 1.27 era last series vs the A's and are throwing extremely well right now. The lineups are about even here. Both have a ton of pop and both are liable to go cold, too Which brings us to the bullpen. This is one area the Yankees have a big advantage. The more close games and the more NY can get to the TIgers starters early, the better chance the Yankees have to win this series.

Tigers in 7 on the back of JV.

Yankees are T-O-A-S-T.

Also, the Tigers have an arsenal of good right-handed hitters to go up against C.C. and Pettite: Cabrera, Young, Infante, Peralta, Jackson.

This, unfortunately. Even Miguel Cabrera's Mini Me (Avisail Garcia) mashes lefties.

Yankees are T-O-A-S-T.

The Yankees have had some mixed success against Verlander over the last year. Including Game 3 last year, the Yankees have managed to score 3 runs or more off of him in 3 of the last 4 starts.

I don't necessarily expect the Yankees to be able to knock him around, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were able to steal one of the Verlander starts either.

Yankees are T-O-A-S-T.

The Yankees have had some mixed success against Verlander over the last year. Including Game 3 last year, the Yankees have managed to score 3 runs or more off of him in 3 of the last 4 starts.

I don't necessarily expect the Yankees to be able to knock him around, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were able to steal one of the Verlander starts either.

I was thinking that too, but Verlander looks locked in right now, and the Yankees look anything but locked in at the plate.

Maybe they had their success against him early in the year when things were going good? idk

The concerns for the Tigers are the lack of bullpen right now, and the lack of LH pitching to combat the Yankees lineup. As much as they're struggling right now, that lineup with the short porch still makes me nervous.

The concerns for the Tigers are the lack of bullpen right now, and the lack of LH pitching to combat the Yankees lineup. As much as they're struggling right now, that lineup with the short porch still makes me nervous.

The lack of left-handed pitching exposes them to who? Just Cano and Granderson really.

The lack of left-handed pitching exposes them to who? Just Cano and Granderson really.

I was under the impression Tex and Swisher hit RH better than LH, but just looked up their split stats and I see the opposite. Carry on. Tigers in 6 :)

Bases loaded with Arod up and Peralta makes a nice diving play to get fister out of the inning.

Looked safe on the replay. Cant believe its scoreless still. Fister is not pitching well.

Yeah Tigers lucky all around. Looks like we'll see Smyly or Porcello early.

Petitte imploding with the first rally of the night by the Tigers while Fister has been a magician

Tigers up 2-0. Big game for NY with Verlander awaiting the ball. Also huge loss at home if the score stays the same.

Some monster pitching by Fister to get outta that jam

Delmon goes deep. 3-0. And glad Fister got lucky on that bases loaded call earlier in the game.

And Peralta just doubled.

EDIT: Well done by Garcia to knock in the run. 4-0.

Another insurance run tacked on. Might need it with benoit and papa grande struggling.

And nice play by Garcia, think he saved that one from going out at least and then luckily Benoit gets third out.