Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonny D

2012 NLCS: Giants vs. Cardinals

50 posts in this topic

Battle of the last two World Series champs!

These two teams split the season series 3-3, and match up really well against each other on paper....the regular season team pitching stats for both teams actually almost mirror each other in many categories (3.68 ERA for SF, 3.71 ERA for STL, .248 OPPBA for SF, .255 OPPBA for STL, etc).

The rotations probably won't be set for at least another day for either team...

I won't even go into the offenses, as both sides have shown in the Division Series that they can go incredibly cold for 1-2 games and then breakout for the next ones....

I'm obviously rooting for the Giants with a 4-game sweep, but realistically...this series should be a really, really good one.

This looks like a very even matchup on paper. I think you might as well flip a coin.

Both teams with really amazing rallies to get here. I think I heard somewhere the Cards were first team to be down 6 runs in a deciding game and comeback to win and Giants first team in history to come back from 0-2 winning all three games on the road. Both very emotional.

On paper looking at trends and numbers, I think most would like the Cardinals, but the Giants seemingly always defy the "paper" argument.

The Beltran backstory will be interesting, hit the HR last night. He was the Giants "bat" they acquired last season as they contended for division title with the D'Backs. Beltran was cold to start, then hurt, he ended hot but too little too late. I think this is one of those classic free agent situations where its a lose-lose for the team holding the player.

Im sure Beltran probably wanted like a 4-5 year deal for $15 million plus, obviously NOBODY (including the Giants) gave him that, so he takes what he can get in the 2-year deal from Cards, which the Giants probably would of given him, but it would of been somehow viewed as an "insult" even though thats what the market ended up being.

Same thing happens all the time in the NFL where guy is no longer worth what they are paying him, so they release him, Im sure in most cases the team would gladly pay him the "market" rate, but the player always feels disrespected and doesnt give the team that option. One of the things that bothers me about free agency.

Both teams with really amazing rallies to get here. I think I heard somewhere the Cards were first team to be down 6 runs in a deciding game and comeback to win and Giants first team in history to come back from 0-2 winning all three games on the road. Both very emotional.

On paper looking at trends and numbers, I think most would like the Cardinals, but the Giants seemingly always defy the "paper" argument.

The Beltran backstory will be interesting, hit the HR last night. He was the Giants "bat" they acquired last season as they contended for division title with the D'Backs. Beltran was cold to start, then hurt, he ended hot but too little too late. I think this is one of those classic free agent situations where its a lose-lose for the team holding the player.

Im sure Beltran probably wanted like a 4-5 year deal for $15 million plus, obviously NOBODY (including the Giants) gave him that, so he takes what he can get in the 2-year deal from Cards, which the Giants probably would of given him, but it would of been somehow viewed as an "insult" even though thats what the market ended up being.

Same thing happens all the time in the NFL where guy is no longer worth what they are paying him, so they release him, Im sure in most cases the team would gladly pay him the "market" rate, but the player always feels disrespected and doesnt give the team that option. One of the things that bothers me about free agency.

As a Giants fan, I would have been pissed if they brought back Beltran. He's a great hitter, but the guy gave us nothing down the stretch last season. Sitting out with minor ailments and sandbagging the second half of the year. Not the kind of player we want in SF. Hunter Pence is batting .200 in the playoffs, but has more heart than Beltran could ever muster up.

Giants will make this series interesting. Two teams that just scrap every game. I love it

As a Giants fan, I would have been pissed if they brought back Beltran. He's a great hitter, but the guy gave us nothing down the stretch last season. Sitting out with minor ailments and sandbagging the second half of the year. Not the kind of player we want in SF. Hunter Pence is batting .200 in the playoffs, but has more heart than Beltran could ever muster up.

Giants will make this series interesting. Two teams that just scrap every game. I love it

"sandbagging the second half of the year"? He hit better for the Giants than he did the Mets last year. He had a bad stretch when he first got there and was hurt (dont remember exact injury), which coincided with REALITY...the Giants offense last year was horrible!!!

I understood getting Beltran, but I actually thought at that time, the Giants were 2 to 3 BATS of Beltrans capability from having a solid line up and that his one singular move wasnt going to change the NL West, Posey was out, Huff stunk, Rowand and Tejada stunk and were released, Torres was a wreck, Scheierholtz isnt an everyday guy, Beltran wasnt going to solve all of that.

You overlook Hunter Pence because you are winning now, if Reds sweep that series, I guarantee a lot of negativity comes Pence's way.

"sandbagging the second half of the year"? He hit better for the Giants than he did the Mets last year. He had a bad stretch when he first got there and was hurt (dont remember exact injury), which coincided with REALITY...the Giants offense last year was horrible!!!

I understood getting Beltran, but I actually thought at that time, the Giants were 2 to 3 BATS of Beltrans capability from having a solid line up and that his one singular move wasnt going to change the NL West, Posey was out, Huff stunk, Rowand and Tejada stunk and were released, Torres was a wreck, Scheierholtz isnt an everyday guy, Beltran wasnt going to solve all of that.

You overlook Hunter Pence because you are winning now, if Reds sweep that series, I guarantee a lot of negativity comes Pence's way.

Beltran sat out down the stretch with minor injury to his wrist when the Giants still had a chance. I don't care what he did before that. I don't want a guy like that on my team.

Scutaro hung in yesterday with a busted hip and ripped a bases clearing double. Gamer

Beltran sat out down the stretch with minor injury to his wrist when the Giants still had a chance. I don't care what he did before that. I don't want a guy like that on my team.

Scutaro hung in yesterday with a busted hip and ripped a bases clearing double. Gamer

Its not the Giants fault, I wouldnt of signed Beltran to a 3-4-5 year deal either, which is the point I was making, if they go to give him market value its not good enough.

When Beltran got back from DL, they were only 2 games out. In 6 games for the Giants vs Arizona (the most important in that stretch), Beltran was 11 for 21 in those 6 games, over .500. The Giants went 1-5 because their team stunk.

Beltran got back from the DL August 23rd, Giants were 2 games out with over a month to play, the Diamondbacks went 18-3 over the next 21 games. Is that Beltrans fault? With that line up is there really anything that could of been done if the DBacks go on a run like that? No. Reality is that the narrative was that it was viewed as a failure, why, because it gives them an excuse not to spend the money.

I mean, none of us have any clue how minor or major any injury truly is. You don't have any idea what shape his wrist was in. That said I also do get annoyed with the constant injuries in baseball.

You can have the scrappy gamers. I'll take the guys who are actually good at baseball over guys with "heart."

Beltran sucked when Giants were in it. Once they fell behind (which was during his absence)and out of it, Beltran went and put up great numbers in baseball's equivalent of garbage time- September.

Also, Giants simply didnt have money to re-sign him. Add in the propensity to get injured and the fact he is aging, re-signing him for huge money would be a very risky move, especially for a team not having much $ left on the payroll.

Beltran sucked when Giants were in it. Once they fell behind (which was during his absence)and out of it, Beltran went and put up great numbers in baseball's equivalent of garbage time- September.

Also, Giants simply didnt have money to re-sign him. Add in the propensity to get injured and the fact he is aging, re-signing him for huge money would be a very risky move, especially for a team not having much $ left on the payroll.

They were in it when he got back from the DL, they were 2 games out and he started to play well, hit over .500 in games versus DBacks, problem is DBacks went 18-3 in the 21 games after Beltran came back. You know not everyone drops 10 in a row for you to catch them like the 2010 Pads :)

There is no salary cap and they sell out every game...I have a hard time believing they cant afford it. Problem with them was they have a ton of overpayed and wasted money, the 30 Million spent this year on Freddy Sanchez, Rowand and Huff is an issue, and of course Zito.

Beltran got injured trying to run out a DP ball. Matt Carpenter replaces him and hits a two run homer.

Garbage. Giants can't drive in runs today. Cain deserves a win. Now it's raining.....FML

Pence is just overly pressing right now, stinks too because he is a gamer. But sometimes adrenaline and being "fired up" really works against you in baseball because hitting requires that perfect timing which often times means staying back and if your too ancy and jacked up, your instincts work against you and you are out in front resulting in roll over gb to left side.

1 person likes this

Pence is just overly pressing right now, stinks too because he is a gamer. But sometimes adrenaline and being "fired up" really works against you in baseball because hitting requires that perfect timing which often times means staying back and if your too ancy and jacked up, your instincts work against you and you are out in front resulting in roll over gb to left side.

I love Hunter Pence as a Cardinals fan. He is the ultimate bailout guy, pitch around Posey all day long and set up Hunter hack attack Pence to swing at a 2-0 slider out of the zone and roll into a double play. I love seeing them show his "inspirational speeches," the funny part is the two games in which he made them the Giants had like 10 hits combined in 18 innings.

Pence hopefully will become Delmon Young if the Cards move on. You gotta love these hackers hitting right behind the teams best hitters with sub .300 OBP's because they are "RBI guys."

I have no idea what to expect from either starter today. Lincecum and Wainwright, game could be a pitchers duel or both guys could be out of the game in the 3rd inning. Giants really just need to win one of these next two though and take their chances with Vogelsong and Cain at home. With Lincecum and Zito going in the next two Cardinals have a good opportunity to close it out at home, but its tough to beat a team 3 in a row.

I love Hunter Pence as a Cardinals fan. He is the ultimate bailout guy, pitch around Posey all day long and set up Hunter hack attack Pence to swing at a 2-0 slider out of the zone and roll into a double play. I love seeing them show his "inspirational speeches," the funny part is the two games in which he made them the Giants had like 10 hits combined in 18 innings.

Pence hopefully will become Delmon Young if the Cards move on. You gotta love these hackers hitting right behind the teams best hitters with sub .300 OBP's because they are "RBI guys."

I have no idea what to expect from either starter today. Lincecum and Wainwright, game could be a pitchers duel or both guys could be out of the game in the 3rd inning. Giants really just need to win one of these next two though and take their chances with Vogelsong and Cain at home. With Lincecum and Zito going in the next two Cardinals have a good opportunity to close it out at home, but its tough to beat a team 3 in a row.

$45 Million between Zito and Lincecum should buy you at least 1 win shoulnt it?

Pence is kind of an interesting player and really a quandry. Because he is a great 162 guy, because over the entire season facing middle relief guys, bad rotations, backside starters, etc...he is going to put up numbers that are far better than your average player, if you have him as a 6-7 guy in your line up, you have a pretty good 162 line up. If he is somewhere in 3-4-5, you probably dont have what it takes in October to win it.

But thus far, hasnt been a good playoff guy, hit .211 with no extra base hits last year in Philly and is struggling this year with Giants. Nick Swisher kind of same way, career .167 hitter in the postseason.

$45 Million between Zito and Lincecum should buy you at least 1 win shoulnt it?

Pence is kind of an interesting player and really a quandry. Because he is a great 162 guy, because over the entire season facing middle relief guys, bad rotations, backside starters, etc...he is going to put up numbers that are far better than your average player, if you have him as a 6-7 guy in your line up, you have a pretty good 162 line up. If he is somewhere in 3-4-5, you probably dont have what it takes in October to win it.

But thus far, hasnt been a good playoff guy, hit .211 with no extra base hits last year in Philly and is struggling this year with Giants. Nick Swisher kind of same way, career .167 hitter in the postseason.

Playoffs are a small sample. I don't think he's doing anything he didn't do all year. I think his horrible playoffs just means he's due for a big hit. The guy just needs to relax and take some pitches early in the count.

I'm not sure which Timmy and Waino we get tonight. For my sake I hope we get bullpen Timmy.

I think this series is going to come down to who manufacture runs early off the starters. Both pens have been lights out.

Haters still hating. Giants wrap this up and move on tonight. You heard it here first!

Zito with a gem!!!! The 126 million was so worth it.....

It might go more than that!!!! They might be on for another year after next if he reaches some innings...

The ends always justify the means (and cost) for the Giants.. Zito Gem = contract is OK...or Renteria WS MVP, same thing.