Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SSTP

Dear ROTOWORLD

What weights/modifiers are you using on this list to make Marion #1 pick, basically no matter what I do in yahoo leagues I can't get Marion ranked high enough and players like boozer, Wallace, Duncan, D Howard, J O'neal etc are all ranked way to high.

Thanks

What weights/modifiers are you using on this list to make Marion #1 pick, basically no matter what I do in yahoo leagues I can't get Marion ranked high enough and players like boozer, Wallace, Duncan, D Howard, J O'neal etc are all ranked way to high.

Thanks

what list?

I hope you dont mean the forum list that people are voting on players.

I hope you dont mean the forum list that people are voting on players.

yeah, dont use the list on this board. its basically for roto and H2H purposes. if you want to move marion up i suggest you assign weights to each category so that they each have a similar ceiling. alot of the pts leagues i've seen dont take into consideration the infrequency of the "rare" categories (blks, stls, 3ptm). if you assign weight according to the frequency that each stat occurs, you'll boost the value of the players who contribute in each category (like marion, j.smith, g. wallace). its the same principals used when assigning points for IDPs in football. for example INT's occur less frequently than sacks, therefore INT's should be weighted more than sacks to make the categories more even in terms of potential fantasy points.

If you want to weigh the categories evenly, save yourself the massive science project in assigning values to each category and play roto format.

It's basically useless to have pre-draft rankings or cheatsheets for points based leagues because every league's scoring system is different and therefore every players value fluctuates depending on the scoring system so you can't just have general or universal cheatsheets like you can for roto leagues.

At the very least any website posting cheatsheets for points based leagues should include the scoring system that it's based on. The problem is most people in the industry consider roto and H2H format the mainstream format and points leagues are considered inferior or for amateurs so they don't dedicate much coverage to that format.

The list that SSTP is referring to in the original post in this thread is the points league ranking in Steve's Rotoworld draft kit which has Shawn Marion first. I think until we see points leagues popularity grow to the point where it is at least somewhat commonly used then the coverage for that format will continue to be inferior. But as long as websites and people in the industry continue to treat it as a second rate format then the popularity will never increase to the point where it's as relevant as roto and H2H formats.

On the plus side with so little coverage dedicated to points leagues it can give an advantage to the people in the league willing to get to know their league's scoring system and do the grunt work required to become familar with how certain players value differs from their value in roto leagues while the lazy people rely on roto cheatsheets for their points leagues which is a sure way to finish last.

It's basically useless to have pre-draft rankings or cheatsheets for points based leagues because every league's scoring system is different and therefore every players value fluctuates depending on the scoring system so you can't just have general or universal cheatsheets like you can for roto leagues.

At the very least any website posting cheatsheets for points based leagues should include the scoring system that it's based on. The problem is most people in the industry consider roto and H2H format the mainstream format and points leagues are considered inferior or for amateurs so they don't dedicate much coverage to that format.

The list that SSTP is referring to in the original post in this thread is the points league ranking in Steve's Rotoworld draft kit which has Shawn Marion first. I think until we see points leagues popularity grow to the point where it is at least somewhat commonly used then the coverage for that format will continue to be inferior. But as long as websites and people in the industry continue to treat it as a second rate format then the popularity will never increase to the point where it's as relevant as roto and H2H formats.

On the plus side with so little coverage dedicated to points leagues it can give an advantage to the people in the league willing to get to know their league's scoring system and do the grunt work required to become familar with how certain players value differs from their value in roto leagues while the lazy people rely on roto cheatsheets for their points leagues which is a sure way to finish last.

football leagues are all pts based with lots of different scoring systems (PPR, yardage heavy, TD heavy, bonus leagues, etc), but there seem to be consensus rankings for those though. fantasy basketball just isnt as popular as baseball and football period. besides that, i think you hit the nail on the head with your first point, you cant really come up with one set of rankings if there is so much variability among the pts systems. i dont think the lack of coverage has anything to do with how people perceive pts leagues though.

Someone has to have some formula out there where you just plug in what each stat is worth in your specific points based league, right?

Someone has to have some formula out there where you just plug in what each stat is worth in your specific points based league, right?

You can do that at this link and it's extremely helpful.

http://basketballmonster.com/playerrankings.aspx

It can help you determine the accuracy of your scoring system by paying attention to where each player ranks in it.

It can help you determine the accuracy of your scoring system by paying attention to where each player ranks in it.

Wow, I owe you big time. I'm in an odd scoring league and I just pulled up the rankings through that and can't believe where certain people are. Now hopefully the others don't understand and I can steal some players!!!!

Rotoworlds draft guide allows you to put in both rotisserie scoring (weighted categories) and points per category for fantasy leagues. Both of which use the most popular scoring categories.

e.g. for roto scoring you can select the categories your league uses, then the cheatsheets and profiles will display values based on your leagues scoring system.

e.g. for points based leagues, you can enter a point value for each category your league uses, again, the cheatsheets and profiles will use those values combined with Rotoworlds projections.

Once you setup your custom scoring, you print just about every page in the draft guide to a pdf and take it with you to your draft.

Hope this helps B)

I don't need BasketballMonster to beat you pal. The best in the West smashes the rest.

HKC

cool, ran last yr's stats with my points system and got my end yr rankings according to CUMULATIVE stats. helps a little bit with the projections since it gives you an idea which kinda player would do well in your pt system.

FTm=1

2ptM=2

3ptM=6

Reb=2

Ast=3

Stl=6

Blk=6

1. LBJ

2. KG

3. Kobe

4. J.Kidd

5. TD

6. Arenas

7. Nash

8. EB

9. VC

10. D-Howard ?!!

11. Marion

12. J-Smoov

13. T-Mac

14. Camby

15. Dirk ?!!

16. Deron

17. Iggy

18. Amare

19. BD

20. JO

im interested to see how the rankings ended up with other leagues' pts systems.

Marion was 24 last year, WOW! There were a few categories I couldn't add that we do subract from, but they couldn't have made that big of a difference. Categories like ejections and flagerant fouls.

cool, ran last yr's stats with my points system and got my end yr rankings according to CUMULATIVE stats. helps a little bit with the projections since it gives you an idea which kinda player would do well in your pt system.

FTm=1

2ptM=2

3ptM=6

Reb=2

Ast=3

Stl=6

Blk=6

1. LBJ

2. KG

3. Kobe

4. J.Kidd

5. TD

6. Arenas

7. Nash

8. EB

9. VC

10. D-Howard ?!!

11. Marion

12. J-Smoov

13. T-Mac

14. Camby

15. Dirk ?!!

16. Deron

17. Iggy

18. Amare

19. BD

20. JO

A great way to determine the quality of your scoring system is to first without looking at anything write down who you think the top fifty players in the league are just based on real life value. Then after that plug in your scoring system and then look where each of those fifty players that you wrote down rank in your scoring system. Then see how many spots difference there is between the players rank on your top fifty list and the players rank in your scoring system. Add up all fifty numbers and see what the total is. I think my scoring systems total was 410 which is an average of 8.2 spots(410 divided by 50) off where each player should rank in real life value.

Might seem complicated but it gives you a great indication of how accurate your scoing system is.

Oh well, not much I can do I guess. At least I got some nice steals...

thanks all