Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr_clutch31

Gerald Wallace FT%

From Rotoworld:

In 90 minutes of action this preseason, Gerald Wallace has gone to a the free throw line 39 times.

If he has that type of pace during the regular season he's going to be even better in leagues that count free throws made instead of percentage. "I'm at a point where I think referees know I'm going to attack the basket," Wallace said. "I think they respect that, and understand I'm not going to shy away from contact."

Now what this didn't mention is Wallace's %s in the summer. I know it's a tiny sample, but he shot 74.4%. Another thing is that his %'s HAVE improved since coming to charlotte, clipping 69% last year.

Could we expect his ft% would also go up as he puts more work on it (since he knows he'll get there more)? Or is this just a bad news for Wallace's owners since in most leagues his ft% at these high number of attempts would drain teams' ft% down? His values will be amazing if he can at least shoot mid 70's from the line...

From Rotoworld:

In 90 minutes of action this preseason, Gerald Wallace has gone to a the free throw line 39 times.

If he has that type of pace during the regular season he's going to be even better in leagues that count free throws made instead of percentage. "I'm at a point where I think referees know I'm going to attack the basket," Wallace said. "I think they respect that, and understand I'm not going to shy away from contact."

Now what this didn't mention is Wallace's %s in the summer. I know it's a tiny sample, but he shot 74.4%. Another thing is that his %'s HAVE improved since coming to charlotte, clipping 69% last year.

Could we expect his ft% would also go up as he puts more work on it (since he knows he'll get there more)? Or is this just a bad news for Wallace's owners since in most leagues his ft% at these high number of attempts would drain teams' ft% down? His values will be amazing if he can at least shoot mid 70's from the line...

i watched him all last year, and im pretty certain he got better as the year went on ~ would not be shocked to see him @ 75% this year....

Sounds like his new attitude will have him spending more time in the trainers room not good news for Crash. 75% would seem a real stretch even that is still a ft% negative with more shot attempts.

Sounds like his new attitude will have him spending more time in the trainers room not good news for Crash. 75% would seem a real stretch even that is still a ft% negative with more shot attempts.

i disagree....i think he's learned how and when to play like "Crash" and while his style wont have him playing 82 game seasons, i still think he's a worthy early rd selection~he's a complete animal on the offensive glass...so fun to watch.

i still think he's a worthy early rd selection

This was never in question, and even if he isn't worth it that's where he'll be drafted. IMO Wallace is one of those guys that usually goes at value and either surpasses or falls well short of his projections... he's not often right on the money. Therefore he's emblematic of the risk-reward guys that win you leagues. Never drafting him, or an Artest, Sheed, or any of those players that usually have up and down years makes it harder to win, as you've got to take some chances in better leagues. I won't hesitate to pull on GW once he is available to me within five spots before his spot in my preranks.

I think it would be foolish to expect him to be anything but a FT negative. That said, look at TDunc, he limps along in FT every year and is consistent 10th to 15th pick material in roto.

This was never in question, and even if he isn't worth it that's where he'll be drafted. IMO Wallace is one of those guys that usually goes at value and either surpasses or falls well short of his projections... he's not often right on the money. Therefore he's emblematic of the risk-reward guys that win you leagues. Never drafting him, or an Artest, Sheed, or any of those players that usually have up and down years makes it harder to win, as you've got to take some chances in better leagues. I won't hesitate to pull on GW once he is available to me within five spots before his spot in my preranks.

I think it would be foolish to expect him to be anything but a FT negative. That said, look at TDunc, he limps along in FT every year and is consistent 10th to 15th pick material in roto.

TD is a 20/10/2 center that is why people overlook the FT%. I owned GWall in a shallow league last year and almost dropped him after the first three months. Don't get me wrong Crash is a joy to watch play but his inconsistency and injury risk is a bit much for me.

salp certainly questioned it

TD is a 20/10/2 center that is why people overlook the FT%. I owned GWall in a shallow league last year and almost dropped him after the first three months. Don't get me wrong Crash is a joy to watch play but his inconsistency and injury risk is a bit much for me.

he was hardly inconsistent once he ultimately overcame that first week injury. That lingered in his psyche for a LONG time. Once he put on the shoulder pads (for whatever reason) he was a stud night in/night out. He basically wasnt being "Crash" for that 3 month period (admitting it himself)...perhaps the shoulder pads gave him comfort in throwing his body at every rebound/loose ball? whatever it was, it worked...........and he turned into a consistent fantasy star, who imo, merits the risk.

With that said, I still expect JRich to steal some of the limelight for Crash - i expect his ppg to drop to around 16ppg...

salp certainly questioned it

I didn't mean to question his worthiness as late second or early third rounder. I was just trying to remind people that attacking the basket to get to the line more when you shoot under 70% from the line isn't necessarily good news for fantasy owners. In addition, attacking the basket can lead to hitting the floor more, something GWall's body doesn't need much more.

I didn't mean to question his worthiness as late second or early third rounder. I was just trying to remind people that attacking the basket to get to the line more when you shoot under 70% from the line isn't necessarily good news for fantasy owners. In addition, attacking the basket can lead to hitting the floor more, something GWall's body doesn't need much more.

i hear ya ~ he cant attack the basket much more than he did last year imo - i think this is one of them news blurbs markdash was talking about earlier (dont read into everything you read)

he was hardly inconsistent once he ultimately overcame that first week injury. That lingered in his psyche for a LONG time. Once he put on the shoulder pads (for whatever reason) he was a stud night in/night out. He basically wasnt being "Crash" for that 3 month period (admitting it himself)...perhaps the shoulder pads gave him comfort in throwing his body at every rebound/loose ball? whatever it was, it worked...........and he turned into a consistent fantasy star, who imo, merits the risk.

With that said, I still expect JRich to steal some of the limelight for Crash - i expect his ppg to drop to around 16ppg...

I remember, after his shoulder injury which happened b/c Granger fell on top of him, Gwall started kicking people whenever he's on the ground and someone falls on him. XD I saw this twice on TV and one time he kicked his own teammate!! (Ryan Hollins)

Maybe his instincts(?) on preventing injuries are getting better

I remember, after his shoulder injury which happened b/c Granger fell on top of him, Gwall started kicking people whenever he's on the ground and someone falls on him. XD I saw this twice on TV and one time he kicked his own teammate!! (Ryan Hollins)

Maybe his instincts(?) on preventing injuries are getting better

i wonder if he's still sporting the shoulder pads