Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheJRod2006

New York Yankees 2013 Outlook

118 posts in this topic

Yankees reportedly pick up options for Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, and David Aardsma.

Not really surprised by any of these moves, although I'm down on Granderson after this past postseason. Wouldn't be shocked if he was entering his last season as a Yankee.

You're only down on Granderson after this postseason?

Im being fecitious (sp?) of course. Just saying I wouldn't use this postseason as any sort of benchmark.

They need another arm. I think the offense will still be pretty good overall.

Yankees reportedly pick up options for Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, and David Aardsma.

Not really surprised by any of these moves, although I'm down on Granderson after this past postseason. Wouldn't be shocked if he was entering his last season as a Yankee.

Yankees are an interesting team right now, they have a ton of payroll and age and seem to be declining fast. Whats wierd about the Yankees is that this is a team that had one of the greatest 5 year runs of any team in MLB history, 4 WS titles in 5 years but they did with a combo of young homegrown guys and more your steady eddy veteran types, Paul O'Neil Tino Martinez Rock Raines Chili Davis LF combo of Ricky Ledee and Shane Spencer, Scott Brosius coming off .200 season in Oakland, Jim Leyritz, this was not a free agent stat machine at every position and since the early 00's they have won 1 title in the overspend years. Kind of interesting contrast to where they are now and looking at the team whose won the WS the last two years with guys like Marco Scutaro and Cody Ross as League Championship MVP plus home grown core like Sandoval, Posey and the pitching staff...

I think A Rod stays and I actually kind of like him for a bounceback season (maybe chemically induced, but maybe just a different offseason plan).

As a Tigers fan, I am glad that we were able to find a sucker for Granderson. He should be a Willie Wilson type player. Instead he is Adam Dunn. The TIgers were able to get Austin Jackson who is better and much cheaper than Granderson. $15 Million for Granderson is crazy. One thing I will say about Granderson, he is a great guy. The kids loved him, but he is way overrated.

I guess what are the Yankees to do. They can not really trade prospects at this point. it all comes down to resigning their guys and hopefully getting some free agents. What they will probably do is wait until next seasons trade deadline and find some salary dump players like Ichiro.

The Yankees are not necessarily "declining fast". They just had the best record in the A.L. this past season. That said, their late summer was not as good as the 1st half and there are age concerns. I think they missed Brett Gardner who provides some speed and contact hitting with good defense. Watching them in the 2nd half and post season, I think they were deficient in situational hitting. Other than Jeter, everyone was "pull happy" (due to short RF porch?). In their WS run in the late 90's, they had a better balanced line-up in regards of moving runners over etc. They got away from that after 2000 -01 etc. and the guys they have that can do so need to think that way again.

If Kuroda comes back, he and CC provide a good, veteran base to the SPs. Hughes needs to show he can be better than a .500 pitcher so at the moment he's okay as a # 3 or 4. Whether Pettitte or someone else, they usually find arms to fill out a better than average rotation.They always put together a good bullpen.

Their defense should remain above average.

So, I think they will certainly be a factor again in 2013 but not "the team to beat' as presently constituted and need to become a bit more diverse in their approach to the offense. Also, they do need to start thinking "younger" for subsequent seasons - there are some good young minor leaguers (Sanchez, Williams) coming up the ranks but they are not ready yet.

I would be surprised to see any big splashes from the Yankees this offseason. This "old, in-decline" team just attained the best record in the AL. Those of you judging them on a sample size of 2 weeks in October need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Tex, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod and Gardner aren't going anywhere. I don't believe Granderson will either. So that leaves holes at C and RF. DH will be a revolving door again. The rotation will depend on whether Pettitte and Kuroda want to come back. If they do, they'll have Sabathia-Pettitte-Kuroda-Hughes-Nova with Pineda re-joining the team hopefully by the middle of next year.

That's as strong or stronger than any team in the AL East right now, especially if Tampa moves Shields.

The Yankees are certainly a flawed team. They've proven that they can feast on mediocre/bad pitching and slug their way to a division title. Unfortunately, for the Yankees, that's not good enough.

Part of the problem is simply the fact that they're too old on the left side of the infield, and have too many monster contracts, which limits where you can make moves to improve. I'd be surprised if the IF looked any different in 2014 than it does now, as Cano will sign a monster deal at some point. So that really only leaves the OF and C to look to improve while they're essentially waiting on A-Rod's deal to expire (which will take another 5 years). The one move that I think is essential for the Yankees to make is to find an IF who can play SS-3B and find a way to get him 450 ABs. You could argue that they already have that guy in Nunez, but the Yankee fan base is down on him because of his shoddy defense. If you don't want to go with Nunez, there's not much on the FA market (perhaps Marco Scutaro), and likely not much via trade either (I doubt the Astros are looking to give Jed Lowrie away). Youkilis wouldn't be a terrible option either since he can play 1B-3B (although Youk is not a SS, so the Yankees probably keep Nix). Either way, A-Rod is injury prone, and hence, unreliable, and Jeter is coming off of a major injury.

The deepest part of the team might be in the starting rotation, but Pettitte (who I expect back) and Kuroda (I'd give 60% chance he comes back) aren't getting any younger. CC is coming off of 'minor elbow surgery'. Hughes is a FA after this year, and I like Hughes, but is he a $12-13 million a year pitcher? Probably not. They have depth with Phelps and Nova (I think he bounces back), and at some point, Pineda will pitch for the Yankees (remember him?). I wonder if the Yankees would consider dealing Hughes, who I suspect they dont want to pay, to try to fill a hole elsewhere, but you're not going to get a lot for him entering his walk year.

The Yankees seem deadset on getting under $189 million by 2014, so I would be surprised to see them drift from that and splurge this year on an overall weak FA class. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until February and overpaid guys on 1 year deals and essentially let them re-test the market next winter.

I don't know enough about the Yankees prospects, but after hearing Banuelos, Betances, and Romine essentially be overhyped for the last 2-3 years, I think it's fair to not get too excited over Williams, Sanchez, Heathcott, etc.....just yet. They're all a few years away from what I understand anyways. The Yankees are in a position to pick up a few picks when Swisher, Kuroda, Soriano all leave (although I think there's a chance Kuroda sticks around), but even so, the Yankees wouldn't see the reward from that until 2014-15 at the earliest. It does give them an opportunity to replenish the farm, AND THEY CLEARLY NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB DEVELOPING EVERYDAY REGULARS, but as we all know, not every prospect will pan out.

Yankees resign Hiroki Kuroda to a 1 yr/15 million deal.

Great move, IMO. Starting pitching was not the problem for the Yankees last year and keeping Kuroda makes the rotation deeper. Also, the one year deal does nothing to impact getting under 189 million in 2014 (aside from being a large sum of money coming off of the books at this time next season)

Great move, IMO. Starting pitching was not the problem for the Yankees last year and keeping Kuroda makes the rotation deeper. Also, the one year deal does nothing to impact getting under 189 million in 2014 (aside from being a large sum of money coming off of the books at this time next season)

Damn 15 mil, only The Yanks. But a 1 year contract is perfect to see what Kuroda really is.

Don't get me wrong, Kuroda is a very good pitcher, but 15 million?... I'm not so sure about that. He had a great season but keep in mind that it was his first year in the division. I can only see things getting worse for him, next year.

To put it in perspective Phil Hughes got 3.2 million last year and is up for arbitration this year. So his salary goes up, he'll probably be at somewhere around 6 million or so... I personally wouldn't draft Kuroda over Phil Hughes in a fantasy draft, yet Hughes will make less than half the amount of money as Kuroda.

Damn 15 mil, only The Yanks. But a 1 year contract is perfect to see what Kuroda really is.

Don't get me wrong, Kuroda is a very good pitcher, but 15 million?... I'm not so sure about that. He had a great season but keep in mind that it was his first year in the division. I can only see things getting worse for him, next year.

To put it in perspective Phil Hughes got 3.2 million last year and is up for arbitration this year. So his salary goes up, he'll probably be at somewhere around 6 million or so... I personally wouldn't draft Kuroda over Phil Hughes in a fantasy draft, yet Hughes will make less than half the amount of money as Kuroda.

there is a premium on pitchers who have proven they can tame the AL East. many have come and many have failed. it's a great signing at a fair price.

comparing an arb-eligible player to a guy on the open market is apples to oranges. it is a known fact that players in arbitration get a fraction of what they would on the open market. you put in your dues for 6 years and you then enter the open market.

you're in a very small minority if you prefer Hughes to Kuroda for 2013. Kuroda isn't young and wasn't an elite prospect like Hughes, and maybe that's why you underestimate him, but he's a very good pitcher.

there is a premium on pitchers who have proven they can tame the AL East. many have come and many have failed. it's a great signing at a fair price.

comparing an arb-eligible player to a guy on the open market is apples to oranges. it is a known fact that players in arbitration get a fraction of what they would on the open market. you put in your dues for 6 years and you then enter the open market.

you're in a very small minority if you prefer Hughes to Kuroda for 2013. Kuroda isn't young and wasn't an elite prospect like Hughes, and maybe that's why you underestimate him, but he's a very good pitcher.

It's not apples to oranges. It's comparing a pitcher to a pitcher. Yeah I get the fact that you are going to pay more for a free agent than an arbitration eligible player. So it's more like comparing the apples in your neighbors back yard to the apples at the farmers market. But just because your farmers market's apples cost more doesn't mean that they are better than your neighbors. Let alone the fact doesn't mean that they are a better value.

Because that is my entire point, for what Kuroda is being paid he really won't be much more valuable than Phil Hughes. There's a chance that Phil Hughes is substantially better than Kuroda. I'd say there's a highly unlikely probability that Kuroda is substantially better than Phil Hughes.

And that's just Hughes. Other notable free agents are.

Brandon McCarthy (risk due to brain surgery), Ryan Dempster, Liriano, Greinke, Harden, Bedard.

Yeah the only one on that list that will get close to 15 million is Greinke. The rest of those guys are looking at probably 8 million tops and probably much less. I'd venture to say half of those guys produce right around what Kuroda does and one or two blow him out of the water statistic wise.

It's not apples to oranges. It's comparing a pitcher to a pitcher. Yeah I get the fact that you are going to pay more for a free agent than an arbitration eligible player. So it's more like comparing the apples in your neighbors back yard to the apples at the farmers market. But just because your farmers market's apples cost more doesn't mean that they are better than your neighbors. Let alone the fact doesn't mean that they are a better value.

Because that is my entire point, for what Kuroda is being paid he really won't be much more valuable than Phil Hughes. There's a chance that Phil Hughes is substantially better than Kuroda. I'd say there's a highly unlikely probability that Kuroda is substantially better than Phil Hughes.

it is apples to oranges because one player was available for all MLB teams to bid on and was able to take the deal he liked best. the other player has a arbitrator tell him what his salary is, an amount that is, literally by design, less than the player would get on the open market. that is the point of the arbitration system. player puts in his dues while his team is rewarded for grooming that player. it isn't a decision of one player or the other (they need both), and the Yankees don't have the option of getting an arbitration eligible player from another team unless they trade for him.

Kuroda had an ERA of 0.91 lower than Hughes last year. Hughes has 2 seasons in his career over 175 IP, and a career high 191 IP last year. he's had a myriad of injuries throughout his career. Kuroda has had less than 183 IP once in 5 years and 3 straight years of more IP than Hughes' career high. he's better and more durable.

I'm not sure what rationale there is beyond just raw age (and Kuroda had his best year as a MLBer last year) to possibly think that Hughes is a better pitcher than Kuroda.

And that's just Hughes. Other notable free agents are.

Brandon McCarthy (risk due to brain surgery), Ryan Dempster, Liriano, Greinke, Harden, Bedard.

Yeah the only one on that list that will get close to 15 million is Greinke. The rest of those guys are looking at probably 8 million tops and probably much less. I'd venture to say half of those guys produce right around what Kuroda does and one or two blow him out of the water statistic wise.

come on with that list. Bedard, Harden, McCarthy are maybe the 3 most injury prone pitchers in MLB. Bedard and Harden might not even get major league contracts. McCarthy has had more shoulder injuries and DL stints than I can count on both hands. not to mention Kuroda is significantly better than all of them (McCarthy is solid but O.Co is an extreme pitcher's park).

Dempster is a poor man's version of Kuroda. and look what happened to him when he came over to the AL. I could see him get about 1 year and 10 million or 2 and 16.

you clearly underrate Kuroda. I don't get it considering he has done nothing his whole MLB career but put up stellar #s. maybe it's the lack of velocity or swings and misses. I don't know. I care more about a guy who gets the job done than one with a strong pedigree, strikeouts, or velocity.

The Yankees don't care about the 15 million. They care more about the fact it is a 1 year deal and there is no commitment beyond the 2013 season. Kuroda has the flexibility to decide at that point if he wants to do another 1 year deal in the States or to go back to Japan to finish his career out.

Since somebody else brought up Hughes, do you think the Yankees sign him long-term at some point?

Come on with that list. Bedard, Harden, McCarthy are maybe the 3 most injury prone pitchers in MLB. Bedard and Harden might not even get major league contracts. McCarthy has had more shoulder injuries and DL stints than I can count on both hands. not to mention Kuroda is significantly better than all of them (McCarthy is solid but O.Co is an extreme pitcher's park).

Dempster is a poor man's version of Kuroda. and look what happened to him when he came over to the AL. I could see him get about 1 year and 10 million or 2 and 16.

Okay injury prone or not. To put it in perspective if one of those guys signs for 3 million and pitches 100 innings, that'll be half the amount of innings you'd get out of Kuroda.

I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher. I'm just saying he's not worth 15 million.

IF, he pitches as well as he did last year that 15 mill is chump change especially with it being a one year deal.

Sounds like the Yankees are looking at infielders.

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are interested in Jeff Keppinger.

The Yankees have a longstanding interest in Keppinger and currently have Eduardo Nunez and Jayson Nix as the only backup infielders on their roster. Keppinger, who turns 33 in April, hit .325/.367/.439 with 15 doubles, nine home runs and 40 RBI in 418 plate appearances last season for the Rays, and would represent an insurance policy behind Derek Jeter (ankle) and Alex Rodriguez.

Keppinger would be a good addition if it were to happen. Has experience playing SS-3B and he probably wouldn't cost a ton.

A few notes worth passing along.....

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees are optimistic about completing a deal with Mariano Rivera this week.

This means the Yankees could have Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte and Rivera all signed prior to the Winter Meetings, which would allow general manager Brian Cashman to address the other items on his offseason agenda. Rivera's deal is expected to be for a little more than $10 million, a paycut from the $15 million he made in 2012. The 42-year-old right-hander is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee, but should be ready to rock for spring training.

Buster Olney of ESPN.com was told by sources that Andy Pettitte is close to finishing off a new deal with the Yankees.

This also means that he's close to formally announcing he's coming back for another season, though most assumed he was anyway. Multiple reports suggest that the deal is expected to be in the $10-11 million range, which is a nice raise from the $2.5 million he made last season.

According to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, there are seven teams currently interested in Shane Victorino.

Victorino hit just .255/.321/.383 in 2012, but he boasts a rare combination of power and speed potential, and he can play very good defense at all three outfield positions. Heyman list the Reds, Indians, Yankees, Rangers, Giants, Rays and Red Sox as his primary suitors. The 31-year-old may be able to find a three-year deal.

Jeff Keppinger recently suffered a broken right fibula when he tripped down the stairs at his house.

It's brutal timing for the 32-year-old free agent, who was just beginning to attract heavy interest. Keppinger should be fine for the start of spring training, but the freak injury is sure to hurt his bottom line. He batted .325/.367/.439 with nine homers and 40 RBI in 2012 for the Rays.

There is also a report out there saying that the Yankees have already resigned Ichiro to a 1 year, 5 million deal with incentives. That number seems low, so I don't know what to make of it yet, but here is a link http://riveraveblues.com/2012/11/report-yankees-re-sign-ichiro-79675/

Yankees resign Kuroda, Pettitte, and Rivera. Nice job getting the pitching set for next season. Allows Cashman to work the trade market next week during the winter meetings to find some offense.

Not really sure what the Yankees are doing right now.....Keppinger would have made perfect sense, but they never made an offer (despite reportedly getting approval to go to 3 years/12 mil) and he signed with the White Sox. Chavez signs with the D-Backs. I didn't really want Nate Schierholtz, but the Yankees decided to make him an offer. Thank God he signed with the Cubs.

I think the big difference is that this 189 million dollar goal is very real and the Yankees weren't concerned with that when they signed Soriano. I don't see how the Yankees can fit another big contract (I'm assuming that Hamilton gets 17 million annually minimum) AND realistically get under that number unless they were to trade Granderson (who I think they would like to trade anyways) AND Cano (less likely).

The Yankees already have about 75 million committed to 2014 between 4 guys.....A-Rod, Teixeira, Sabathia, and a $3 million buyout for Jeter. Everybody else on the team is either a FA (including Cano, who they will probably resign, and Granderson, who they probably won't) or going through the arbitration process. I suppose that guys like Pettitte, Rivera, and Kuroda might retire (or in Kuroda's case, return to Japan), which would free up some money, but it won't be easy for the Yankees to....

a. Get under that $189 million number, AND

b. Continue to field a team that can win the AL East

I saw earlier that Jon Heyman wrote that it would be a mild surprise if Youkilis picked the Indians offer (believed to be 2 years and about 18 million) over the Yankees 1 year offer, but considering Francona is the manager there and the '10-'11 Red Sox pretty much let the inmates run the asylum, I'd be surprised if he didn't pick the Indians for familiarity purposes. Not to mention Youk is an Ohio native.

I think the big difference is that this 189 million dollar goal is very real and the Yankees weren't concerned with that when they signed Soriano. I don't see how the Yankees can fit another big contract (I'm assuming that Hamilton gets 17 million annually minimum) AND realistically get under that number unless they were to trade Granderson (who I think they would like to trade anyways) AND Cano (less likely).

The Yankees already have about 75 million committed to 2014 between 4 guys.....A-Rod, Teixeira, Sabathia, and a $3 million buyout for Jeter. Everybody else on the team is either a FA (including Cano, who they will probably resign, and Granderson, who they probably won't) or going through the arbitration process. I suppose that guys like Pettitte, Rivera, and Kuroda might retire (or in Kuroda's case, return to Japan), which would free up some money, but it won't be easy for the Yankees to....

I saw earlier that Jon Heyman wrote that it would be a mild surprise if Youkilis picked the Indians offer (believed to be 2 years and about 18 million) over the Yankees 1 year offer, but considering Francona is the manager there and the '10-'11 Red Sox pretty much let the inmates run the asylum, I'd be surprised if he didn't pick the Indians for familiarity purposes. Not to mention Youk is an Ohio native.

from a money perspective, the Yanks deal makes a lot more sense. he'd have to completely tank next year to get paid under 6 mill in 2014. and if he has a good year, he'll make a lot more than that.

from a money perspective, the Yanks deal makes a lot more sense. he'd have to completely tank next year to get paid under 6 mill in 2014. and if he has a good year, he'll make a lot more than that.

You're probably right, and Youkilis would set himself up for a nice payday next winter with a potentially big year in the Yankees bandbox.

I think he'd get enough playing time this year to make it worth coming to NY. A-Rod reportedly won't even have his hip surgery until January. I'd be shocked if he was back before the All-Star break, considering how injury prone he is now and his advanced age, and even if he does come back, A-Rod could be the primary DH in the second half to try to keep him healthy during the stretch run. He can get the occasional starts at 1B as well to give Teix a breather while sliding Nix or Nunez over to 3B. Its really just a matter of if he wants to come here or not, and I don't know what he wants.

Regarding Youk, he's already won it all... twice, so winning a championship might not be the highest priority at this point in his career. So he just needs to decide does he like the familiarity of the Indians or the potential moneyfall from the Yankees. I doubt he has any of that "rivalry" motives since the Sawx shipped him out, if that motive was there to begin with.

Regarding their self-imposed salary cap, I think that's their goal. It may look like it'll take an additional year to get to that point, but considering that every team in this league (let alone the AL East) is dropping big contracts like they are .... hot, and the Jays and Sawx are taking on big payrolls and the Rays continue to develop incredibly well (and we'll see the Birds do this year)... it's factual that the Yanks are going to need to compete or they will quickly fall from the best team in the league to the ... third best team in the league. And in that division, being the third best team in the league could be enough to keep you out of the playoffs.

For a baseball stand point, Youk is a pretty good pick up for the Yankees. A little steep but whatever he could play three quarters of the games until a-rods back and could platoon 3B with him..

But, from a personal stand point I HATE this guy and the pick up. Just doesn't seem like a Yankee <_<