Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjbooda

Kobe Bryant

Is this injury coming up due to trade issues? Does the fact that he is not practicing equate to dropping his value on draft day? Will he pull an AI and demand trade again and not play?

Is this injury coming up due to trade issues? Does the fact that he is not practicing equate to dropping his value on draft day? Will he pull an AI and demand trade again and not play?

hes just got tired legs from playing basketball all summer with the national team, i wouldnt read too much into it.

Sore legs? The medical definition of sore legs is "Manny Ramirez Syndrome" if you ask me. Buss should just keep a private jet pointed at Dallas warmed up on the runway at LAX. If you were Dallas would you pay as much as Howard and Terry?

Sore legs? The medical definition of sore legs is "Manny Ramirez Syndrome" if you ask me. Buss should just keep a private jet pointed at Dallas warmed up on the runway at LAX. If you were Dallas would you pay as much as Howard and Terry?

While Kobe and the German both want the ball for a good portion of time, I would definitley make the deal if I were Cuban.

Dirk could switch back to center to give Kobe the room he needs.

howard and terry isnt nearly enough. this is kobe we're talking about, the best player in the game. they should at least get a star back. neither howard or terry are stars. the lakers cant do without at least 1 box office player.

if dallas and LA would be doing a deal i dont think the lakers would accept anything less than dirk.

What sucks for the Lakers is they have really no ground to stand on when it comes to moving Kobe, Kobe has put both the team and himself in that position. Any move they make will result in a loss at this point, a tandem of Terry and Howard would probably be the best they could hope for at this point. Also no way in hell Cuban would part with Dirk.

What sucks for the Lakers is they have really no ground to stand on when it comes to moving Kobe, Kobe has put both the team and himself in that position. Any move they make will result in a loss at this point, a tandem of Terry and Howard would probably be the best they could hope for at this point. Also no way in hell Cuban would part with Dirk.

the lakers lost leverage with these rumors and trade demands, but they still would never accept terry and howard for kobe. swapping stars is the only deal that would make sense for both teams. IMO dirk alone isnt worth kobe.

howard and terry isnt nearly enough. this is kobe we're talking about, the best player in the game. they should at least get a star back. neither howard or terry are stars. the lakers cant do without at least 1 box office player.

I agree, but these are the Busses and the Lakers we're talking about.

I mean, if you were trading Shaq, you'd normally want at least one All-Star back, or at least the best young player on the other team. Not the Lakers.

If you were trading Caron Butler, you'd normally want something that wasn't garbage in return. Not the Lakers.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Lakers end up with something less than Howard + Terry. If they wait until 2009, they could quite possibly end up with nothing. Minnesota didn't get a superstar back for KG - although they did get Boston's best youngster. Philly didn't get a star for Iverson, nor did Toronto for VC.

Kobe has minimal leverage given that he can't opt out for 2 more years... The price for Kobe right now is Dirk. Since Cuban won't give up his german man-crush, he might wait until next summer when Kobe will have the leverage of his impending opt-out to try to get him for less...

Shaq was getting up in age, overweight and unmotivated... Trading Shaq at that point is not the same as trading the clear cut best player in the game in his prime. You can't even compare Caron or even AI in this case...

As for the Lakers getting nothing if they wait until 2009....Not happening....Kobe would be leaving big money on the table since no other team could offer him as a free agent what his Lakers deal offers and none of the contenders he wants to go to would be enough under the salary cap to offer him a max deal under the colective barganing agreement. Only crappy teams with as bad a supporting cast could offer him a max deal as a free agent and as I said before, the max deal still would not be able to compare to the money he could make from his current team (Lakers).... If 2009 comes, he would ask for a sign and trade (since his current team can offer him the most to resign under the colective barganing agreement) and then the Lakers would get talent in return... Ofcourse, Kobe's market value is higher now than 2 years from now and Kobe could decide to take less than a max deal and leave $30 million or more on the table but what are the chances that he would prefer to do that to spite the Lakers instead of going for the sign and trade...

Bottom line....Lakers have no reason to trade him right now unless they get a superstar like Dirk in return and Kobe knows it. Thats why he reported to camp and thats why he kept his mouth shut over the past few weeks....until Jerry Buss decided not to allow himself to be a hostage of Kobe's threats and demands and declared publicly that he would trade Kobe for the right price (aka, send me your proposals...but only serious proposals...)

Kobe has minimal leverage given that he can't opt out for 2 more years... The price for Kobe right now is Dirk. Since Cuban won't give up his german man-crush, he might wait until next summer when Kobe will have the leverage of his impending opt-out to try to get him for less...

Shaq was getting up in age, overweight and unmotivated... Trading Shaq at that point is not the same as trading the clear cut best player in the game in his prime. You can't even compare Caron or even AI in this case...

As for the Lakers getting nothing if they wait until 2009....Not happening....Kobe would be leaving big money on the table since no other team could offer him as a free agent what his Lakers deal offers and none of the contenders he wants to go to would be enough under the salary cap to offer him a max deal under the colective barganing agreement. Only crappy teams with as bad a supporting cast could offer him a max deal as a free agent and as I said before, the max deal still would not be able to compare to the money he could make from his current team (Lakers).... If 2009 comes, he would ask for a sign and trade (since his current team can offer him the most to resign under the colective barganing agreement) and then the Lakers would get talent in return... Ofcourse, Kobe's market value is higher now than 2 years from now and Kobe could decide to take less than a max deal and leave $30 million or more on the table but what are the chances that he would prefer to do that to spite the Lakers instead of going for the sign and trade...

Bottom line....Lakers have no reason to trade him right now unless they get a superstar like Dirk in return and Kobe knows it. Thats why he reported to camp and thats why he kept his mouth shut over the past few weeks....until Jerry Buss decided not to allow himself to be a hostage of Kobe's threats and demands and declared publicly that he would trade Kobe for the right price (aka, send me your proposals...but only serious proposals...)

great post, the only thing i disagree with is that i dont think cuban's as attached to his players (dirk) as you might think. he's a very smart man and knows a good deal when he sees it. i think he'd be all over a kobe/dirk swap cuz he'd be getting the better end of the deal.

great post, the only thing i disagree with is that i dont think cuban's as attached to his players (dirk) as you might think. he's a very smart man and knows a good deal when he sees it. i think he'd be all over a kobe/dirk swap cuz he'd be getting the better end of the deal.

Hey, if I was Mark Cuban, I would trade Dirk for Kobe straight up in a heartbeat, no questions asked if that is what it takes...But why pay full price when the market right now is at a discount! Chicago isn't even putting Deng on the table right now...Cuban will send his offer (young talent and picks) and wait the Lakers out (the Lakers obviously wont take it and hence, wait until next offseason)....Cuban knows that he could get Kobe today if he wanted to if he were to put Dirk on the table so he holds the trump card.

I think Cuban has a real man-crush with Dirk and wont put him on the table unless it was absolutely necesary (and If Dallas bombs again this year)...But I think you are right....Cuban at the end of the day would have to take that deal.

This deal wouldn't be made for so many reasons - for one, Dirk is a franchise player. The entire system of play is built around the Mavs. The uprising against Cuban and the Mavs would be phenomenal.

In La, people come to see Kobe play. They don't care about Smush, or Kwame, even Odom. Does Dirk have that same appeal? Absolutely not. No way in hell.

What is the source of this, if anything?

This deal wouldn't be made for so many reasons - for one, Dirk is a franchise player. The entire system of play is built around the Mavs. The uprising against Cuban and the Mavs would be phenomenal.

In La, people come to see Kobe play. They don't care about Smush, or Kwame, even Odom. Does Dirk have that same appeal? Absolutely not. No way in hell.

What is the source of this, if anything?

there really is no source, just speculation. its obvious kobe wants to go and hes the only player in the league with a no trade clause. its rumored that the only places kobe wouldnt reject a trade is if he goes to either dallas and chicago.

you're right about dirk not being "box-office" but he's more of a star than terry and howard combined.

i'd like to see the lakers target someone like amare. hes young and big but his value could be taking a hit cuz of possible recurring problems with his knee.

amare + marion + m.banks for kobe + odom

smth like that. amare IS box office and will be a star for yrs to come if he can stay healthy.

there really is no source, just speculation. its obvious kobe wants to go and hes the only player in the league with a no trade clause. its rumored that the only places kobe wouldnt reject a trade is if he goes to either dallas and chicago.

you're right about dirk not being "box-office" but he's more of a star than terry and howard combined.

i'd like to see the lakers target someone like amare. hes young and big but his value could be taking a hit cuz of possible recurring problems with his knee.

amare + marion + m.banks for kobe + odom

smth like that. amare IS box office and will be a star for yrs to come if he can stay healthy.

That would be great, especially how well Raja and Kobe get along. B)

There's all kinds of reasons that wouldn't happen, not in the least that it would derail phoenix's offense. Even a motivated Kobe couldn't piece what's left of that rickshaw back together. Odom is no Marion by any means.

Chicago on the other hand would be great, except they have no pieces to work with. You know Kobe feels like he lives in that same eschelon of MJ, and he'd love to bring that to the home of the great one. But who would they give? There aren't any box-office players in Chicago as far as I know.

Edit: I meant to say in my prior post, "The entire system of the Mavs is built around Dirk."

That would be great, especially how well Raja and Kobe get along. B)

There's all kinds of reasons that wouldn't happen, not in the least that it would derail phoenix's offense. Even a motivated Kobe couldn't piece what's left of that rickshaw back together. Odom is no Marion by any means.

Chicago on the other hand would be great, except they have no pieces to work with. You know Kobe feels like he lives in that same eschelon of MJ, and he'd love to bring that to the home of the great one. But who would they give? There aren't any box-office players in Chicago as far as I know.

Edit: I meant to say in my prior post, "The entire system of the Mavs is built around Dirk."

how would it derail PHX offense? any skilled player can play in that open style and next to nash. odom is no marion, but in terms of individual skill, he's better.

you're right about none of the chicago guys having star power. but they have some of the best young talent in the league, a few of which could be on the brink of stardom (in terms of performance, not box-office). i dont think chicago wants to break up that core though.

the mavs offense is built around dirk but it could easily be switched to be built around kobe. its a pretty simple offense since most of it is based on screening to create mismatches, then iso-ing on the mismatch. all that is required is 1 dominant scorerwho can create mismatches, i think kobe fits the bill.

The Lakers know that the only players with the star power of Kobe are Lebron and D Wade and neither of those players are on the market...even for Kobe given that they are younger.

Dirk obviously isn't equal value for Kobe but Kobe will leave eventually and they got to gat a Top 15 player in return to be able to hold their head up high...They cant settle for another for another 3 non all stars like they did with Shaq and not get the other team's Dwayne Wade...

Given the situation and the unavoidable and eventual loss of Kobe, getting Dirk or Amare would be great for the Lakers....If Kobe wasn't so determined to leave LA, they would trade him for anyone...But that is not the case anymore.

That's exactly what it sounds like, another AI situation. I think he'll play until they lose a bunch. Then something similar will happen, like the AI trade.

If they win, nevermind. Everyone's happy when they win.