Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sternes

Mike Thomas 2012 Season Outlook

17 posts in this topic

Well that is about all their is to say. A bizarre move by the Lions considering the contract they are taking on.

Thomas' value is better than it ever was in Jacksonville.

I can't imagine it does, but this whole thing is bizarre. I assume a punt returning role. Schefter reported a mid-round pick. Plus the Lions pick up his contract.

Burleson went down, but he still has some years on his contract. You have Megatron, Burleson, Young, Broyles, and Thomas now. I can't imagine them getting rid of the two young guys or Megatron. Burleson maybe cut, but he should be fine. I can't imagine them cutting Thomas after trading for him. The Lions rarely go 4 wide, let alone 5 wide.

Interestingly, from rotoworld:

"The Lions were reportedly "highly interested" in Mike Thomas coming out of Arizona in the 2009 draft."

"They ended up drafting Derrick Williams instead, only to turn around and dump him last season. Thomas is expected to fill a wide variety of roles in Detroit, including the occasional backfield snap "in a Jahvid Best-type role." We suspect his biggest on-field impact will come on returns, as Stefan Logan has come under fire for a trio of recent fumbles."

Expensive special teamer, but the Lions' front office and coaching staff is desperate to win now.

Then maybe they should giv...i'm not even gonna go there.

Expensive special teamer, but the Lions' front office and coaching staff is desperate to win now.

Then maybe they should giv...i'm not even gonna go there.

We'll let you. The Lions have been inept for over 50 years. :P

Not too long ago Mike thomas was a serious sleeper as the #1 jaxx receiver. He did not live up to expectations but he should at least be considered a solid slot/posession receiver. Exactly what Burleson was for the offense. You can argue the rich contract, but he definetly fills a need on the Lions offense.

WR2 for the lions now

Dunno if I'd trust him in fantasy though as he only had 1 catch with Broyles out most of the game. Though he did have a decent debut the week before.

Seems like Pettigrew/Scheffler will be the main beneficiaries if yesterday is anything to go by, not sure you could start Mike Thomas with much confidence until we see whether he is worked more into the gameplan.

It stands to reason that crash course on learning a new offense mode might be handicapping him a bit but as soon as that phase is over(don't know much about the guy . . . does he have a Larry Fitz brain or a Dez brain?) . . . could be a serious sneak-up-on-ya.

It stands to reason that crash course on learning a new offense mode might be handicapping him a bit but as soon as that phase is over(don't know much about the guy . . . does he have a Larry Fitz brain or a Dez brain?) . . . could be a serious sneak-up-on-ya.

hes in the middle of that spectrum between the Fitz and Dez brain. i dont think he will have much impact this season but the improved quarterback situation is encouraging.

So the above poster is correct in your opinion and Pettigrew and Sheffler are headed for fat city? Burleson, Broyles, Young(couple times) grabbed a lot of balls opposite that Madden Curse guy.

So the above poster is correct in your opinion and Pettigrew and Sheffler are headed for fat city? Burleson, Broyles, Young(couple times) grabbed a lot of balls opposite that Madden Curse guy.

i think Pettigrew will see an increased number of looks. Broyles went down early and Thomas had one catch for negative one yards. I dont see him getting those looks

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, December 6, 2012 - CSB. · Report post

Can't hurt to pick him up. I would NOT start him unless he starts producing though.

I don't have a choice for W1 of the playoffs... with Shorts most likely out and Harvin on IR I had to pick up someone as my WR3 in my 14-team, big $ league where i had the most points and got in only from me winning and someone losing last week. Thomas or Avant or Alshon, but I think Thomas will get some looks playing vs. GB and hopefully going to a shootout.