Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emdot

Rule Changes

15 posts in this topic

Hi I want to get the opinion of the fantasy community. My league commissioner set up our standings for our league. Incorrectly. I pointed it out in week two bc I noticed it in the league setting. He responded just win and stop your bitching. In turn everyone in the league laughed and agreead. I said I don't care but I'm just saying its incorrect and in week 10 I'm sure someone will be pissed bc the standing have a funky rule. Sure enough week 9 roles around and one guy is pissed bc it doesn't make sense. So the commish changes it. No vote. No nothing just changes it. I of course dropped to 9 of 12 from 7 of 12. So am I in the wrong for complaining?

Yes. Must not be a serious league because everything should be set before the season starts and any changes voted on.

No 3 rd year of a keeper league 12 teams. $1 add.drops and $100 buy in. That's why I'm calling foul. Bc he f*** up. And you can't just change it. Unless you get 100% lg aggreament.

Im lost. If you agreed, thats the way it is. Stop yer bitchin'.

1 person likes this

8 teams make the playoffs 4 in each div. original standings rule had div record over overall record. Obviously dumb. But when I called it out in week two. No one cared. Now in wk 9 people are bitcihing. I'm calling foul bc. You can't change it 8 wks in.

1 person likes this

8 teams make the playoffs 4 in each div. original standings rule had div record over overall record. Obviously dumb. But when I called it out in week two. No one cared. Now in wk 9 people are bitcihing. I'm calling foul bc. You can't change it 8 wks in.

1 person likes this

No changes unless 100% agreement in the league. And even then, its still fishy.

"My league commissioner set up our standings for our league. Incorrectly. I pointed it out in week two bc I noticed it in the league setting."

Okay, so you're saying the Commissioner in your league chose the wrong playoff setting when he set up your (redraft?) league at the beginning of the season.

First off, this information implies that:

1) This is not your league's first season playing together.

2) You already have pre-established rules going into this season about how playoffs are handled.

Playoff settings are one of the things that can be easily corrected late in the season. While it would have been better to have your Commish correct it at the beginning of the season, it really doesn't matter until ~Week 14. So if those playoff settings were already agreed upon as your league's standard at the beginning of the season, it really doesn't matter whether they were corrected at the beginning of the season or the end of the season, as long as they were in place before the playoffs happen. According to my watch, playoffs haven't happened yet.

We'll call the playoff settings as they were supposed to be "Settings A" and the playoff settings your Commish accidentally selected as "Settings B".

If your league agreed / everyone knew that it was supposed to be Settings A at the beginning of the season, and the Commish simply selected the wrong settings (Settings B), then there should be no huffing and puffing when he resets it to what it should have been (Settings A). It doesn't matter how long he took to do it, to be honest, since as long as he did it before the playoffs started, it still leaves everything as intended initially.

The fact that you're annoyed that it took this long for him to change the setting to what it should have been, is understandable. It's annoying that he didn't just change it Week 2 when the error was pointed out. However, since you yourself originally agreed that it should have been changed, it's highly suspect that you come in here complaining that he's changing it to what it should have been at the start of the season. It obviously effects your team in some negative way, and that's the reason you're bitching, which is what's B.S. Rules not being changed during the season are about the integrity of your league as a whole, not how it impacts your individual team. You're only complaining because it doesn't work out in your favor - you're a bad league mate.

End point: If your league knew, going into the season, that "Settings A" were supposed to be used to determine which teams make the playoffs, and your Commish accidentally selected "Settings B", it doesn't matter when he corrects the mistake as long as he corrects it before the playoffs occur. It would have been preferred for him to fix it early on, but it still doesn't change anything. Settings A was what it was supposed to be, for Settings B to actually be permanently kept as your league's official setting, I think it would require AT LEAST a majority vote (and I personally think that any setting changes in-season should require a unanimous vote by the entire league).

If Settings A was how it was supposed to be / agreed on at the beginning of the season, nobody should be bitching when the settings are changed to Setting A.

I don't see a big problem. This is just a standings display feature and does not affect game scores. If say you were in a ppr league and people were not getting their ppr, that would be different. That would affect winners and losers of games. It sounds like you have a team on the bubble. If you had another win you would move up. Win your last 3 games and this is not an issue.

I'm typically a 'no rule changes during the season' type of guy.

I did make an exception in my keeper league, where I temporarily extended the trade veto period by a day immediately after Hurricane Sandy, citing that people might not have power and I didn't want people to try to take advantage of the situation, and changed it back a week later, but under those circumstances, nobody said anything.

I'd be pissed. Any rule change, especially one that can affect anyone's chance of making the playoffs, need to be done very early in the season, like before week 3 at the very latest and that's even pushing it, or everyone in the league needs to agree on the change. The commissioner in my league accidentally made defensive TD's worth 7 points instead of the usual 6. I noticed in week 8 and knew that the setting would just have to stay put that late in the season.

It really is every players responsibility to look at the league scoring and settings before the league starts so everyone is in agreement. Changes made this late in the season are bogus and you have every right to be upset.