Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blood Brother

Toronto Blue Jays 2013 Outlook

264 posts in this topic

Well well well, looks like the Jays have been pretty busy so far this offseason. Wow!

New projected lineup

Jose Reyes, SS

Emilio Bonifacio, 2B

Jose Bautista, RF

Edwin Encarnacion, 1B

Brett Lawrie, 3B

Melky Cabrera, LF

Colby Rasmus, CF

Adam Lind/Rajai Davis, DH

Arencibia/John Buck, C

Rotation

Josh Johnson

Brandon Morrow

Mark Buehrle

Ricky Romero

???

With the Yankees looking older an older, not to mention the fact they want to get under the luxury tax, you gotta think the Jays are seeing the East as being pretty vulnerable and up for the taking

Thoughts on what they have done so far? Do you consider them the favorites for the East? That lineup is looking pretty damn good

ESPN's Buster Olney reports the Blue Jays are "close" to naming their next manager.

According to Olney, two of the final names being discussed are Jim Tracy and Jim Riggleman. If true, this would fit the Jays' reported desire to hire a manager with a track record, as both have previous major league experience. The Rockies parted ways with Tracy this offseason after a franchise-worst 64 wins in 2012. Riggleman spent last year managing the Reds' Double-A affiliate.

Don't say it's true! Don't make every baseball fan lose their minds over Tracy's lineups again next year!

This is the first time in over a decade where I have got goosebumps over the Jays...when I saw the trade...and then MELKY being signed....how can you not be excited as a Jays fan?

Only tracy could derail this dream of a lineup. Say it aint so

I think Melky or Lawrie would bat second, not Bonifacio.

The lineup looks sick. If they stay healthy they can contend. But alas weve seen teams have huge overhauls and still not make the playoffs. Id stll give the edge to the Yankees or Rays over them.... for now.

Also With Arencbia, Buck, and D'arnaud in the minors... I feel like they are far from finished making moves.

As an Angels fan, I'll say this right now. Izturis is not a starter. That dude can never hold up over a full year. Keep him as he is, the backup 2B/SS/3B. Nice MIFer back-up

Real excited to see the Jays going for it. This is a huge offseason, HUGE!

I'm real curious who the new manager will be. I have to laugh a bit now at John Farrell who quit on the team to leave for his "dream job" in Boston. Good luck rebuilding for a few seasons minimum there John. Meanwhile the Blue Jays are going for it. I love it. Suck it Farrell.

And any concerns about the amount of money they are spending, and criticism of that.....well, it's not your money they are spending. Why care about that?

Rotation

Josh Johnson

Brandon Morrow

Mark Buehrle

Ricky Romero

???

Pretty good chance Happ locks down the 5th spot. That's what I've seen supposed at this early stage anyway. Assuming guys can stay healthy (a big problem last season) and Ricky Romero bounces back from a horrible dreadful season, that's a pretty damn decent starting rotation, IMO.

Jim Tracy, Manny Acta, Jim Riggleman, Mike Hargrove the finalists for the manager job? What is the top priority in there search? Having multiple failing stints in the last decade? Good god, those are like the worst retreads you could pursue.

As long as its not Tracy they should have a shot. How in the hell did that guy even get an interview. Good lord.

The Blue Jays haven't made the playoffs in 20 years. They look solid on paper, but the 162 game schedule tends to play mind games with teams that look great on paper. I'd be surprised if the live up to the lofty expectations that have been placed on them.

Who else thinks the Jays are going to be similar to the Marlins of last year? Lots of talent that won't go together. If that does happen though, I doubt they sell out quickly like the Marlins. Remember last year when every MLB sports writer was basically pencilling the Marlins into the playoffs and some to the World Series? I just feel like the Jays could fall the same way if they get too much publicity and attention that they aren't used to.

Just wait until the next Sports Illustrated comes out. Going to be a smorgasbord of analysis on why the Marlins are done and why the Blue Jays are going to win. I am a Blue Jays fan and I firmly believe we are a 3rd place team. I just can't believe it until I see it is all. Now we will still be the best 3rd place team ever and I am very excited (hopefully to be proven wrong), but this is still the toughest division ever. The Yankees aren't going anywhere and whoever says they are are seriously misguided. The Rays might take a step back but they will still be one of the toughest teams to play because they are in every game until the end. The Orioles should drop down to reality but people were saying that all last season. Although how many times can Ryan Flaherty win the game for you in extra innings? And then we have the Red Sox... I don't know what to think with them. They are still a great organization even though they dumped a bunch of salary. I think getting rid of Bobby V is a HUGE upgrade. I am a believer but it is just damn hard to think that anything can change that division so dramatically.

Gibbons...out of all the coaches, Gibbons. One step forward, two steps back...

It's a better hire than Tracy or Riggleman. A step forward, none back.

Just wait until the next Sports Illustrated comes out. Going to be a smorgasbord of analysis on why the Marlins are done and why the Blue Jays are going to win. I am a Blue Jays fan and I firmly believe we are a 3rd place team. I just can't believe it until I see it is all. Now we will still be the best 3rd place team ever and I am very excited (hopefully to be proven wrong), but this is still the toughest division ever. The Yankees aren't going anywhere and whoever says they are are seriously misguided. The Rays might take a step back but they will still be one of the toughest teams to play because they are in every game until the end. The Orioles should drop down to reality but people were saying that all last season. Although how many times can Ryan Flaherty win the game for you in extra innings? And then we have the Red Sox... I don't know what to think with them. They are still a great organization even though they dumped a bunch of salary. I think getting rid of Bobby V is a HUGE upgrade. I am a believer but it is just damn hard to think that anything can change that division so dramatically.

I think the opportunity is there for the Jays to win the division. Yeah, it's December and we're talking baseball, but it's impossible to ignore what the Jays have done in the last week or so. That lineup is stacked. If they can remain healthy, they have a shot.

Yanks are and will always be dangerous. They are the biggest opposition obviously. The Rays are always interesting, but I want to see what they do with their roster before spring training before thinking they'll be in the mix like Toronto and NY. Baltimore had a great 2012 but they'll come back down to earth. The Red Sox have the most work to do and I have them firmly in the basement.

I think it will come down to the Rays and the Jays in September with the Rays superior pitching and a much better year from Jennings and Longoria leading them to the division title.

Jays have certainly improved but I think their SP rotation is still shaky and they'll need a healthy Morrow, Johnson plus a bounce back from Romero.

Agree. Still think Rays are the class of the division. They can probably expect a better year from Moore to go along with Longo and Jennings. They have the most talented rotation in th MLB in my opinion. If Jays can land another solid pitcher in a trade or free agency they are right up their in the discussion of best team. But I think it might be a little dicey considering our top three pitchers all have question marks (Johnson/Morrow - Injuries, Romero - effectiveness/Injury).

I agree, another decent starting pitcher brought in would really solidify the Jays' chances of a divsion title, or at least a WC spot. AA said he wasn't done when they had that press conf to announce GIbbons was coming back to manage the team. We might just get another nice surprise in the days and weeks to come!

I agree, another decent starting pitcher brought in would really solidify the Jays' chances of a divsion title, or at least a WC spot. AA said he wasn't done when they had that press conf to announce GIbbons was coming back to manage the team. We might just get another nice surprise in the days and weeks to come!

Zack Grienke of course :ph34r: