Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the1gq2nvy

Jermaine O'Neal 2012-2013 Season Outlook

i just took him now he's gonna be bought out... after putting up some nice games. lol. replaced by haddadi...

Think RW is confused on this, I think that the tweets indicate that O'neal will NOT be bought out.

There was just in a typo in the blurb, if you look at the title of the RW blurb it says "Jermaine O'Neal will not be bought out". Here is the tweet they referenced-

"Suns will have to release someone to make room for Marcus Morris and it will not be Jermaine ONeal. ONeal wants to stay with Suns."

I've been monitoring this guy for awhile and w/ the quiet trade deadline, nothing has really changed in terms of opportunity.

His usefulness could continue, but I can't trust that he'll stay healthy. Might be worth the risk for those in need of REB and fighting for a playoff spot.

that suns' center position is a MESS. gortat and JON both logged under 20 mintues :angry: but it was probably more of a matchup issue with boston since they were running brandon bass as their center..

that suns' center position is a MESS. gortat and JON both logged under 20 mintues :angry: but it was probably more of a matchup issue with boston since they were running brandon bass as their center..

This is exactly right, Lindsey Hunter was trying to match up with the small ball the Celtics were playing. Of course it resulted in a blowout loss at home, and right now the only player on the Suns I trust is Dragic as Lindsey Hunter has absolutely no clue what he's doing with his rotations.

He's really been legit in limited minutes

He is owning Tim Duncan on the offensive end. Makes no sense.

anyone picking him up??? PHO playoff schedule is not the greatest, but he's playing some serious ball...can he keep this up??

Dropped Koufos for him, he's been putting up really good numbers. This guy has been really injury prone for a long time, so Phoenix was the perfect fit and it appears to be keeping him healthy. He was one of the best players in the NBA early on when he was healthy, so we know he had the talent.

+1 wondering the same thing.. anyone got some opinions now that gortat is seemingly out

Not sure but he's expected to be out at least a week plus he's pretty injury prone. And Phx got the worst playoff schedule

Depending on your particular situation and risk tolerance, I'd suggest he's worth a gamble if that suits your situation... All warning signs aside (sure he may get injured, etc).... but with prolonged Gortat absence, he should log serious minutes (assumption).

In games where he gets 20+ minutes (sample size 15), he's averaged:

12.2 ppg / 8.2 rb / ~ 2 blk / ~0.5 stl / 1 assist / 55% FG / and reasonably solid at the charity stripe... 2 TO's pg avg

Just throwin it out there.

And keep in mind that in those 20+ minute games he probably averaged no more than 25 minutes per game--it's not like there were a bunch of 35-40 minute games in there. Now, he's old and injury prone, so maybe his minutes won't go up with Gortat out, but given his production with those minutes and the fact that they could go up somewhat, I think he's definitely worth a pickup if you can afford him missing the next couple games (i.e. already have a playoff spot secure).

He's definitely worth a pick up but something else to remember is that he was doing most of his damage against back ups, will be interesting to see how he fares against the starting centers.

There were a lot of times where he would close the game in the 4th(see San Antonio) and he would also play almost the whole 2nd quarter a lot of times. They also featured him on offense quite often because he really is the most reliable offensive player the Suns have which is pretty pathetic. Phoenix always does a great job of keeping their players in shape but he still may break down, I think he will put up great numbers the rest of the way though

I don't know, I've heard people say wait till you see how the Morris brothers, Scola, and Beasley are used going forward but I've got to think he'll be their inside presence going forward. There's not too many other legitimate options really and I'm certain they won't be relying on their small lineup to start any more games when O'Neal returns. Pick him up now or regret not picking him up later.

I don't know, I've heard people say wait till you see how the Morris brothers, Scola, and Beasley are used going forward but I've got to think he'll be their inside presence going forward. There's not too many other legitimate options really and I'm certain they won't be relying on their small lineup to start any more games when O'Neal returns. Pick him up now or regret not picking him up later.

I'm not too sure if O'Neal is a solid pick up option yet, especially considering the level of chemistry that Marcus Morris and Scola have with Dragic. This is probably a result of their experience playing together in Houston where they would run smaller line-ups with Scola at the 5. While O'Neal is a solid defender its not like that is a priority for this team as pretty much rest of the team plays zero defense.