Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pierceNKC

Colin Kaepernick 2012 Season Outlook

665 posts in this topic

I'm surprised no one is talking about this kid...

What's everybody expecting tonight?

i was starting alex smith this week in my flex spot, but was happier to see that kaepernick was starting because i had him too. alex smith had the chance of being destroyed, kaepernick regardless of how he throws he can get positive points by just running which he does a lot of.

Kaepernick has a big arm as well so the long bomb isnt out of the question. But I expect a lot of of gore/hunter with a possible vulture from Kaepernick.

he was looking amazing last week (fantasy wise at least) and was salivating at the chance to see him start...too bad its the darn bears, but i think he should have a decent game.

He looks great out there against the toughest D in the league. Does A.Smith automatically get the job back though when he's healthy?

He looks great out there against the toughest D in the league. Does A.Smith automatically get the job back though when he's healthy?

I was wondering the same thing. We'll just have to wait for more news. I'm sure he'll be a hot waiver wire add with all the hurt QBs at this point of the season.

Harbaugh just said hes gonna go with the hot hand at QB and hes got two hot hands.....not really sure what thatll mean but he def didnt say Alex Smith will be the starter when healthy...

hmm i wanna pick up Kappernicker and throw him at the Saints but I am also slightly afraid of him using both QBs versus the Saints :(

I also have Locker and Rivers, and while I cant decide which of those two to start next week this is another wrinkle ugh

I wish the frickin' team would have told us early Sunday that Smith wasn't cleared to play so I could have picked up Kaepernick for my flex.

just by watching, you wouldnt be able to tell that this was is his first career start, he looked much better than what i've seen from Smith. Accurate passer and a runner, legit double threat.

I wish the frickin' team would have told us early Sunday that Smith wasn't cleared to play so I could have picked up Kaepernick for my flex.

This. Again and again, this. Obviously I don't expect NFL teams to help out my fantasy cause but man o' man would it have helped! I was ready to pull the trigger but the news that Smith was likely to play put a hold on things...ugh.

If Harbaugh is for real, and he sure seemed like it, then Kaepernick has a pretty juicy set of games awaiting him weeks 12-15. Potential fantasy gold here and it makes me ill knowing I won't have him rostered.

Well there is an unexpected wrench in every season sooner or later..... Kaepernick has alot of potential if he gets the job but will likely only be a low-end QB1 in a generally conservative offense....think somewhere between RG3 and Russell Wilson....

1 person likes this

I CALL DIBS.

Also, how high is Harbaugh's stock now that Kaepernick is turning out? People suspected he'd be a multi-year project but looks like he's good to go already (with some tolerable ebbs and flows to come no doubt).

Sure hope this is a Wally Pipp'in

I CALL DIBS.

Also, how high is Harbaugh's stock now that Kaepernick is turning out? People suspected he'd be a multi-year project but looks like he's good to go already (with some tolerable ebbs and flows to come no doubt).

Sure hope this is a Wally Pipp'in

I mean, I dont think all nights will be like this for kaep. I do think bears were caught off-guard on this one, his #1 reads were open most of time and everything went well. plus it helped the bears D was on the field for so long in the first half...he's still raw and does one-read/run too much.

with that said, looks like future's bright. alex's contract is designed in a way they can cut him after this season and not count towards the salary cap. kaep also will keep defenses more honest and not stack the box, which allows the already DOMINATING run game of 49ers become even better

This kid looked good. Compare him to what someone like Nick Foles on his first start? Woof. kapernick is looking good, and his matchup next week is THE SAINTS! If he did this to the bears, the saints should be pillaged. And I was looking forward to starting Romo vs. the skins. Damn.

He's a bigger, more athletic, better throwing Tebow. If he gets the chance to play he can and most likely will be a fantasy monster. The ability to throw a ball 60 yards or break a 60 yard run is something not shared by many. More importantly I saw a few times where the Bears had him dead to rights and he just outran the pass rusher and was able to either complete a pass or at least get one downfield in a position for his receiver to make a play. It's hard to judge a player on one game but I really think he can be a better than average QB and an absolute stud at fantasy QB.

I grabbed him in my dynasty league after his first game in that blowout earlier in the year and have had him as a stash in case he gets the opportunity. It might not come until 2013 but if he gets the reins he will be my starting QB, sorrry Stafford.

1 person likes this

Kid looked good last night. Breathed some life in to a stagnant passing offense. I don't think Smith plays this week. I may roll the dice and pick him up although I'm not sure i could start him over my current crappy QBs.

Kid looked good last night. Breathed some life in to a stagnant passing offense. I don't think Smith plays this week. I may roll the dice and pick him up although I'm not sure i could start him over my current crappy QBs.

I think Kaepernick will start at least another week too, and I'm dropping him for Wilson. Kaepernick is a better passer IMO and can do more with his feet.

Interesting read written before last night's MNF game: http://www.csnbayare...831&feedID=2800

There is this:

With Smith starting and finishing games, the 49ers are 20-6 since the beginning of last season, including a 1-1 record in the playoffs.

Smith, 28, is having his best NFL season with a passer rating of 104.1, which ranks third behind Aaron Rodgers (107.3) and Peyton Manning (106.2).

Surprisingly, Smith is also third in the NFL in average per pass attempt at 7.97 yards. That also ranks third in the NFL behind Manning (8.0) and Cam Newton (7.98). Smith has improved nearly a full yard per attempt from a year ago.

But where Smith ranks at the bottom of the league is yards passing. His 1,731 yards is No. 29 in the NFL, and 217 pass attempts is 31st among all quarterbacks.

And this:

If Smith had remained healthy and kept performing at the same level, Kaepernick would not have received the opportunity he is expected to get Monday night.

But at some point before his initial contract expired, Kaepernick would have been given an extended look. Kaepernick and Smith are both signed to the 49ers through the 2014 season.

Now, that look comes under the stress of a game that could be viewed as a playoff-simulator as the 49ers and Bears jockey for position in the postseason.

Smith signed a three-year, $24 million contract with the 49ers in the offseason. The structure of the contract makes is easy for the 49ers to make a quarterback switch without taking much of a financial hit.

Smith's second-year base salary of $7.5 million is fully guaranteed only if Smith remains on the 49ers' roster on April 1, 2013. Smith received no signing bonus, and only $1 million of his 2013 salary is full guaranteed.

In essence, that means nothing is guaranteed for Smith or Kaepernick.

Certainly, QB's with Smith's stats and QBR don't lose their jobs due to injury. But Harbaugh has been chomping at the bit to get CK7 reps, using him as a change of pace QB back when Smith was struggling. It's my belief that using CK allows Harbaugh to expand his playbook and to give his Niners a competitive advantage that they did not have with Smith. I also believe that Harbaugh is cold blooded enough to pull the trigger on making the move now, and after listening to the post-game comments of guys like Vernon Davis, the vets would probably support it.

Keep in mind that Harbaugh is also the Niners' QB coach. He's been getting CK7 ready with the intent of starting him in 2013, but it looks to me like that time has arrived a lot earlier.

As a speculative pickup, CK7 needs to be rostered in not only dynasty leagues, but standard leagues as well. My gut feeling is Kaepernick gets the starting job at some point before the season is over.

1 person likes this

I see people saying that Kaepernick will start this week, but if Smith is healthy enough I think he gets the ball. Even though Kaepernick played great this is still Smith's team and I don't see any player losing his job to one game. I could be completely wrong but this isn't like Kaepernick had 4-6 weeks to show what he has, it's one game. What happens if he does get the start next week and goes 10-25 for 98 yards 1 rush TD and 3 INTs? I think at this point is just as fair to say that can happen as a 300 yard, 70 rush, 3 all purpose TD game.

People will be calling for Smith before halftime if that's the case. If I was Harb I would let Kaep build off this outstanding performance. His confidence should be at an all time high right now so he should roll that through the off-season and into 2013 if you ask me.

I would much rather my young guy go into preparations fresh off success than coming off an up and down season which is what more than likely will happen.

Let's all take a breather for a second.

CK is a 2nd year player and just had his first start in the NFL. He may or may not be starting next week. The 49ners will continue to rely on their defense and running game to lead them to a title. Not on CK's arm or Alex Smith's arm.

His true value is probably going to be somewhere in between this weeks game and last week against the Rams in which he looked sorely incompetent as a passer.

Besides I think this becomes moot. You have to bring Alex Smith back as a starter.

Just add him and ask questions later. He's near must-start status vs. New Orleans.

2 people like this