Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LyondellBasell

Evan Longoria 2013 Outlook

349 posts in this topic

just signed an extension with TB through 2023. also had surgery on his hammy.

i don't think the contract will impact his play.

his health fortunes have to turn around. well, i guess they don't "have to"

i've never been burned by the guy, so i see the mass of fantasy community having been burned by him as a prime opportunity to get him at a value.

Still, CBS' scott white has him at #2, which is surprising. Though i don't really disagree since i'm not a fan of Wright, or Zimm and Beltre is gonna get old one of these years.

Fake teams has him #3 behind only Miggy and Beltre. So maybe he won't come at such a bargain in drafts afterall.

That's a huge risk for the Rays. Longo seems to have picked up the dreaded injury prone tag lately with his constant, nagging injuries. People though are seeming to overlook that he is still only 27 and still managed to put up 17 homers last year in only 273 AB's. His value will likely be less than it should because he has burned people in the past. He's a first round talent that you can maybe get in the second.

if he can stay healthy enough too play 145 Games i can see 35+HR 110+rbi .275 avg but with Hammy issue in his recent past he might not run at all, maybe a couple missed hit and runs he sneaks in 4or 5 sb if lucky!

I wanna see what his ADP is gonna look like, but he's 30+HR100+RBI if healthy. I'm a huge Longo fan would suck to see him sit out a long period of time again.

He will be that magical age of 27 years old this year. Maybe we see some super monster year that puts him right back into the yearly top 5 discussion.

if he can stay healthy enough too play 145 Games i can see 35+HR 110+rbi .275 avg but with Hammy issue in his recent past he might not run at all, maybe a couple missed hit and runs he sneaks in 4or 5 sb if lucky!

Agreed on the Games, HR and RBI (and SB). In an OBP setting I would expect .365 - .375.

I love him as a player I just wouldn't touch him in the 1st round, I look at him as a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick with big upside but I can't take him in round 1

1 person likes this

He's ranked 19 in Y! this year.

Longoria's still being ranked based on projected upside.

I'd rather take Aram who is (again) annually underrated and puts up the numbers that Longoria is "supposed" to get.

Y! has Ramirez at #82 which is the 10th ranked 3rd baseman. Longo at #19 overall which is 3rd among 3B after only Miggy & Beltre. I'm likely to pass for a better value play.

FWIW, I don't doubt that Longoria puts it all together one of these years and actually fulfills his top 3 3B ranking.

If he plays 150+ games there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be TOP3 3B.He is incredible player and just needs to be healthy.Let's hope he succeeds this year.

He had the awesome season what 2-3 years ago where he was a 5-category guy and he is a player most people like, so there is some mancrush there, its the benefit of the doubt...its the fact he is still young and in his prime.

He had the awesome season what 2-3 years ago where he was a 5-category guy and he is a player most people like, so there is some mancrush there, its the benefit of the doubt...its the fact he is still young and in his prime.

I've never really liked him in fantasy just because he is always top ten but for some reason this year I want him. I know he won't really contribute in steals anymore but I think this is the year he has that solid 4 category contribution. I know that has been said many times before in past years, but I think he will get 30 100 this year and be healthy for at least 150 games.

Why doesn't this guy have the same injury prone tag on him as Josh Hamilton? Everyone ranks Josh lower because of his injury risk, but Longoria gets a pass. I stay far away from this guy, because at least with Josh he has solid numbers with the injuries thrown in there.

Why doesn't this guy have the same injury prone tag on him as Josh Hamilton? Everyone ranks Josh lower because of his injury risk, but Longoria gets a pass. I stay far away from this guy, because at least with Josh he has solid numbers with the injuries thrown in there.

If longoria played OF he would be ranked around where Hamilton is. Longoria does have the injury prone tag, but is younger then hamilton and plays a premium position.

How is he THAT injury prone? He's played less than 130 games only once and that was last year.

Longo is not being kept in a 5 player keeper league i'm in and i'm seriously considering taking him with my 4th pick if 1 of the 3 SPs I want don't fall to me.

He derailed my season last year but can't deny the value i'm getting by essentially drafting him in the 6th round.

Longoria seems to be flying under the radar this year. Was actually able to snag him at the end of the second round teaming him up with Miguel Cabrera. Yahoo recently updated there rankings knocking him down a bit . If i can have Cabera at CI with Longoria at 3B with my first two picks then WOW.

Longoria seems to be flying under the radar this year. Was actually able to snag him at the end of the second round teaming him up with Miguel Cabrera. Yahoo recently updated there rankings knocking him down a bit . If i can have Cabera at CI with Longoria at 3B with my first two picks then WOW.

I was in a similar situation during my draft. Took Cabrera 1st overall. People kept passing up on Longo so I HAD to take him with my 2nd pick. I was a bit skeptical taking 2 3B like that but he was clearly the best talent on the board at the moment (along with Harper who I took with my next pick!) I guess his injury history is kind of making owners think twice about drafting him.

I really hope he can stay healthy and put it all together this year. Medium risk, high reward.

I'm not hating, I'm asking, but how did we get to the point where longoria in the 2nd round is a value? I don't see any value there. I think thats his actual value is he plays, with no discount as to the risks.

Again, not hating, just asking for clarification and sharing a potential difference of opinion.

2 people like this

I'm not hating, I'm asking, but how did we get to the point where longoria in the 2nd round is a value? I don't see any value there. I think thats his actual value is he plays, with no discount as to the risks.

Again, not hating, just asking for clarification and sharing a potential difference of opinion.

He has always been drafted with the idea that "this would be the year". This year is no different, other than he is going a round later, which does relaly limit the value/profit (similar to a guy like Billy Butler). At some point, the upside is gone. But, if he does put in the .300/30/100 year that people think he can, especially at a weak 3B position, he easily returns that price tag. But I think you are right, he seems like a high-risk, low-reward kind of player...

Actually, this is a good post and a great question, I don't see any hate here.

I took the plunge at the end of the 2nd round so I'm hoping for the best. Health is definitely a concern but the upside is too great.