Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

Carlos Ruiz 2013 Outlook

50 posts in this topic

Well, could be linked to his career year....

Carlos Ruiz has been suspended 25 games by Major League Baseball for the use of amphetamines.

"Chooch" will serve the punishment at the start of the 2013 regular season. It's a major blow to the Phillies, who have come to rely on the veteran catcher's improved offensive production. Ruiz, 33, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 2012.

The suspension is for Adderall, a stimulant, and not a "performance enhancer".

As far as I can tell, the biggest benefit he would have received was improved stamina, so I think it had more to do with his playing time, and less with any statistical improvement.

so, what if a guy has ADD? I assume that's okay. he couldn't get some neurologist or psychiatrist to bs him something? don't they do that all the time? I feel like everyone has "ADD" these days.

As far as I can tell, the biggest benefit he would have received was improved stamina, so I think it had more to do with his playing time, and less with any statistical improvement.

Adderall can certainly be a PED when misused. It's not classified as a steroid but increased alertness, focus, weight loss, and stamina are all benefits linked to Adderall. It's in the amphetamine class of drugs and can have beneficial impact on a player's performance. It's the latest hot button in sports (NFL has had a rash of Adderall suspensions) and the NFL is already looking at closing the loop hole in the offseason. It's already on the Do Not Take list in baseball. Similar drugs were a huge problem in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, hence it's choice for players from that era to expound their virtues while condemning folks from the "steroid era". Definitely has advantages, so yes it's a Performance Enhancing Drug....

We all know the Sooch is a stouter fellow that plays a demanding position, so you could certainly see the seduction of a drug that helps keep off the weight, allows you to focus for longer spells of time, and helps with stamina....

Adderall can certainly be a PED when misused. It's not classified as a steroid but increased alertness, focus, weight loss, and stamina are all benefits linked to Adderall. It's in the amphetamine class of drugs and can have beneficial impact on a player's performance. It's the latest hot button in sports (NFL has had a rash of Adderall suspensions) and the NFL is already looking at closing the loop hole in the offseason. It's already on the Do Not Take list in baseball. Similar drugs were a huge problem in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, hence it's choice for players to expound their virtues while condemning folks from the "steroid era". Definitely has advantages, so yes it's a Performance Enhancing Drug....

We all know the Sooch is a stouter fellow that plays a demanding position, so you could certainly see the seduction of a drug that helps keep off the weight, allows you to focus for longer spells of time, and helps with stamina....

having taken aderall, its pretty awesome. And of all sports I could think of helping in, baseball is certainly up there because it really helps in concentration which is probably one of the most important aspects of hitting.

Or this is what all the players are saying they are taking, when they are taking other drugs. Must be passing out adderall like candy

Or this is what all the players are saying they are taking, when they are taking other drugs. Must be passing out adderall like candy

That's the NFL's big problem right now. Since the NFL doesn't publish what triggered the positive test, players are using Adderall as cover to save face in the public's eye.....big controversy behind the scenes right now....

you're confusing this with football. In football they have a policy where the nfl doesnt have to disclose to the public what they get caught for, so the players just say they used aderall because its probably least bad to their PR.

2010: 121 games, 433 PA's, .302 AVG & 8 HR's

ISO: .146, BABIP: .335, & HR/FB: 7.2%

2011: 132 games, 472 PA's .283 AVG & 6 HR's

ISO: .100, BABIP: .308 & HR/FB: 4.4%

2012: 114 games, 421 PA's, .325 AVG &16 HR's

ISO: .215, BABIP: .339 & HR/FB: 15.10%

Basically a catcher at the age of 33 gave fantasy owners a career year in almost all catagories across the board. I will want no part of one Carlos Ruiz in 2013.

If this makes him far fall enough in drafts, then he may be worth the risk. I do think he will regress, but was still a solid hitter in the years before this past career year.

From 2007-11: 118.4 games, 6.6 HR's & hit below .259 in three of those five years. He could not fall far enough for me to think about drafting him.

If this makes him far fall enough in drafts, then he may be worth the risk. I do think he will regress, but was still a solid hitter in the years before this past career year.

His auction value in my league has ranged from $1 to an all time high of 5 bucks last year. Someone might bite on him but I'm with DKOA R on this one. There are better cheap options even in 2 catcher leagues (Travis D'arnaud or Wellington Castillo come to mind).

From 2007-11: 118.4 games, 6.6 HR's & hit below .259 in three of those five years. He could not fall far enough for me to think about drafting him.

You can't compare him to his 07 or 08 form. He's aged and his stats have progressed from them. Just because he took aderall doesn't mean he will revert back to his form from 5 years ago. I was talking more about his 10-11 years, where he averaged a .291 average, 7 homers, and 47 RBI's. Those aren't bad stats for a maybe $1 catcher in either a deep league or 2 catcher league.

You can't compare him to his 07 or 08 form. He's aged and his stats have progressed from them. Just because he took aderall doesn't mean he will revert back to his form from 5 years ago. I was talking more about his 10-11 years, where he averaged a .291 average, 7 homers, and 47 RBI's. Those aren't bad stats for a maybe $1 catcher in either a deep league or 2 catcher league.

The bigger problem in my mind is that he is going to miss 25 games along with rest days and day games after night games. When all is said and done he could miss more then a third of the season. Then who do you have acruing stats for you? Humberto Quintero. It also kind of stinks carrying 3 catchers in a league with a small bench.

I believe Adderall is also a masking agent for other PEDs, which is part of why there is a rash of suspensions in the NFL (and now MLB)

catchers have power spikes at a later age than other hitters. they also improve their plate discipline. after all, they see tons and tons of pitches.

with that said, 2012 was almost certainly his career year.

so evidently MLB has their own doctors who would determine whether he has ADD/ADHD.

it is also fuzzy as to whether or not Adderall can be used as a masking agent.

I believe Adderall is also a masking agent for other PEDs, which is part of why there is a rash of suspensions in the NFL (and now MLB)

The rash of suspensions in the NFL that are blamed on Adderal likely has more to do with PR. The NFL does not announce what substance a player tested positive for and Adderal sounds better for the players from a PR stand point than saying they were using Dianabol. Ive never heard of it being a masking agent for other PED before, generally a masking agent will either be a diuretic (to dillute) or a counter substacnce to offset an increased ratio of testosterone etc.

so 2012 was a career year, what will 2013 be? A small regression? With 25 games missed who will you pick up for April? I wonder how long it will take for him to get back up to speed and be productive? Can his back up steal his job?

Adderall or not he was a changed hitter last year, he was shooting bee-bees across the field his line drive % has increased each of the past 5 years to a now 24.0%, the thing I notice in his stats is his walk rate was down last year for a few reasons one being the most apparent. He swung more often up about 4% from the year before, with all the injury's to phillies players last year he had to step up and hit and be a prominent bat in that order where in past he was utilized more for his catching and not for his bat in the hay day of the phillies and there stacked lineups.

So basically he swung more often, hit more line drive, and put up a career year because it appears he changed his mindset to become a better hitter per team needs, rather then focusing on catching solely.

That being said he is going undrafted in most leagues, but after the 25 game suspension I see a good value eliminate 25 games from a catchers legs come end of the year will certainly help too.

a chubby catcher who had a career year in his mid 30s then is caught with a banned substance.......I dont know about him being a top 10.

make the add now fellas...He returns from suspension in few days...he was overall 7th ranked catcher last season and should be ready to mash in that Phillies lineup again.

1 person likes this