Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Primetime_21

Paul Goldschmidt 2013 Outlook

547 posts in this topic

I think Goldschmidt proved he could hold his own last season. While I think that despite his k rate he has shown his ability to adjust to MLB pitching and a pretty good eye. What I'm curious to see this year is if he can start to be a bit more consitent in the power department. Went thourgh some some long dry spells last yeat. Do you guys think he has a good chance of hitting 35+ HR this year?

1 person likes this

I see him more likely in the 25-30 range, with part of the jump from last season's 20 driven by playing full time for the whole season (no Overbay 2x a week)and part of the jump due to continued maturity, but 35 is probably a stretch. Not out of bounds, but I wouldn't bank on it in setting up my team.

A player I targeted heavily last year, gonna ease off a bit this year. I assume his ADP will be much higher, maybe not worth it, while I still feel he's legit I think I may have overestimated him just a bit.

A player I targeted heavily last year, gonna ease off a bit this year. I assume his ADP will be much higher, maybe not worth it, while I still feel he's legit I think I may have overestimated him just a bit.

I was thinking just the opposite actually, with the depth at 1B I fig he still has agood adp. I supp it all depends on where he end up on the board.

I'm not keeping him so he will probably be awesome. If I can throw him back and get him for cheaper than the 22 bucks i have him for now I'll be happy. I will still be targetting even though i will have a full CI. He has his flaws (long HR droughts, Wierd Lefty/righty splits) but the overall package and youth are very intriguing.

Long HR droughts? Did he have those in the minors too? I wouldn't put too much stock in his HR frequency in his first full season.

I like 25-30 HR for him.

Long HR droughts? Did he have those in the minors too? I wouldn't put too much stock in his HR frequency in his first full season.

I like 25-30 HR for him.

You 100% accurate. I was basing that off of last year. I also like him for 25-30 HRs in a full season and I feel that he tops 100 RBIs as well. Add on 10-15 SBs and you have a very solid first baseman.

i could easily see 30-35 hrs, i think goldy is going to be a stud.

I'm with you on that.

1 person likes this

after pujols votto and fielder.....who are even somewhat questionable exactly the next guys are questionable. this guy could be a good value for first base.

I expect a spike in power and drop in SB. 30+ homers and 10ish SB. Avg should be solid.

I agree, I think he will have 10-15 steals, which for a 1B is very very solid.

Goldy does have upside. But he also comes at a risk. He is young, still K's a lot, and is coming off of a year in which he exceeded expectations.

Goldy does have upside. But he also comes at a risk. He is young, still K's a lot, and is coming off of a year in which he exceeded expectations.

That's why it all depends on where his ADP is for me... I think he will go around where Hosmer was going last year... around 4-5 round

That's why it all depends on where his ADP is for me... I think he will go around where Hosmer was going last year... around 4-5 round

I agree. His K's make me nervous but he still managed an impressive BA last season. To be honest he's on my draft list this year. He's legit IMO.

It looks like he's going in round 4-5, which is just a bit to rich for my blood. I like him in round 6 because the steals won't be there.

It looks like he's going in round 4-5, which is just a bit to rich for my blood. I like him in round 6 because the steals won't be there.

I think he will go a little higher too when draft day comes... I just think most people will see the avg steals and homer potential and start hyping him up.

He showed a lot of improvement last year and keep in mind he was getting jerked around by Ginson early on, losing starts to lolwtf Lyle Overbay.

The one thing that gives me pause is his platoon split. All extra starts this year will come vs. righties so it isn't as simple as prorating out his stats for a full year. He also was probably unsustainably awesome against lefties last year so we are really banking on improvement vs. righties.

I believe though. He improved last year and his K-rate is acceptable. He has a great batted ball profile. Chase field boosts HR by RHB by 14%. He obviously has the right frame to hit 30+ HR. He hit 4th/5th for a large part of last year. He's 88% stealing bases for his career so they have reason to keep letting him steal if this keeps up.

This isn't a projection but I think a reasonable upside could be .280, 30, 15, 85 R, 100 RBI.

I wouldn't rule that out. I think the 30 HR is still out of reach next season but in a couple years I wouldn't be surprised to see that happening.

He showed a lot of improvement last year and keep in mind he was getting jerked around by Ginson early on, losing starts to lolwtf Lyle Overbay.

The one thing that gives me pause is his platoon split. All extra starts this year will come vs. righties so it isn't as simple as prorating out his stats for a full year. He also was probably unsustainably awesome against lefties last year so we are really banking on improvement vs. righties.

I believe though. He improved last year and his K-rate is acceptable. He has a great batted ball profile. Chase field boosts HR by RHB by 14%. He obviously has the right frame to hit 30+ HR. He hit 4th/5th for a large part of last year. He's 88% stealing bases for his career so they have reason to keep letting him steal if this keeps up.

This isn't a projection but I think a reasonable upside could be .280, 30, 15, 85 R, 100 RBI.

I completely forgot how he got shafted by that semi-platoon with Overbay for some of last year. Goldie must have made of Gibsons HR trot or something.

I completely forgot how he got shafted by that semi-platoon with Overbay for some of last year. Goldie must have made of Gibsons HR trot or something.

That platoon actually probably helped is ratios quite a bit, getting good matchups on a regular basis. Plus gave scouts less early season footage to break down on him.

I think it's funny that Goldschmidt owners are angry at Gibson. That's some revisionist history right there.

April:

Overbay: 8 starts, .313/.405/.500

Goldschmidt: 15 starts, .193/.288/.281

Then Gibson gave Goldschmidt 22 starts the next month anyway, which seemed to get him out of the slump.

1 person likes this