Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nycldn

Marreese Speights 2012-2013 Season Outlook

115 posts in this topic

just traded to Cavs.. what we thinking here?? Has been so solid as the backup for z-bo and m.gasol... now he goes to play behind zeller thompson, or does he start at C?? I dont think TT is getting pushed out but what about zeller?

He has the chance to start ahead of zeller if he struggles again. Definitely one to look for. Good source of points and rebounds.

Low blocks, fg% isn't good might be able to get 12/8

He had many chances in the past but never really did much. Worth a gamble but not expecting much

id agree...season is lost...might as well develop the young core...

after zeller and tristan, the cavs dont have much depth on the front...so maybe they brought speights in for the rest of the minutes and a big body?

he wouldn't agree to the trade if he was not assured of playing time. There is enough minutes for all three bigs to get 30 minutes

I definitely think theirs a chance to start, and probably will. In games he's started with Z.Bo out he was good. Especially that monster double double earlier this month. You can't develop guys without someone to show them the ropes.

How old is zeller?

Zellers a scrub. Speights is 5x better. If they wanna develop a young player it should be Speights

zeller is a rookie i believe.. I agree that speights is by far the more athletic player... im considering dropping zeller for this guy.. zeller or sullinger..

WIthout turning this into an AC message I will say Speights is a tough, big bodied guy with a seemingly nice offensive skill set on top of being a good rebounder..

when zbo or gasol were out speights was always a solid plug and play/ double-double threat- and in most cases produced amiably.. now i want to say he has an opportunity to shine in CLE since IMO a TT/speights front-line is much tougher than a TT/zeller combo

Is he a must own at the moment? i wanna act quickly before someone else grabs him off the waiver

1 person likes this

Is he a must own at the moment? i wanna act quickly before someone else grabs him off the waiver

I would say yes. I picked him up as soon as the word broke

I don't understand why the Grizz gave up so much for just Jon Leuer? Speights alone is too much in my opinion. Why on earth add Ellington and Selby and draft picks. It's not even a salary dump cause all those guys are cheap. Leuer could barley get minutes in clevland? Makes no sense, giving up a top backup big, a couple of young guys with potential and picks for a complete scrub!

As for Speight's value, I think we should see how he does his first game or so. However, I may drop Bradely for him as I got nothing to lose at this point.

I don't understand why the Grizz gave up so much for just Jon Leuer? Speights alone is too much in my opinion. Why on earth add Ellington and Selby and draft picks. It's not even a salary dump cause all those guys are cheap. Leuer could barley get minutes in clevland? Makes no sense, giving up a top backup big, a couple of young guys with potential and picks for a complete scrub!

As for Speight's value, I think we should see how he does his first game or so. However, I may drop Bradely for him as I got nothing to lose at this point.

I agree the Grizz gave up too much. The draft pick is probably just a throwaway 2nd rounder but Ellington was an important part of their rotation. He's one of the few guys on their roster that spreads the floor with the threat of 3 point range. Speights was their first big man off the bench. Leuer has flashed some talent. They must've been very high on him but this is trading away current solid players on a competitive team for potential. I gotta believe this is partially in preparation of losing Gay. This is a move more for the future when they were already one of the top teams in the West.

It's all about the money. Tearing up their core by trading either Gay or Z-Bo would be detrimental to their success. Removing a few parts of their bench won't. The Grizzlies needed to trim $4M to avoid the crippling luxury tax, and they sure did so by giving up roughly $7M in contracts for about $760K. Even with all the players they're rumored to be interested in signing, none of those will exceed minimum contracts.

I agree the Grizz gave up too much. The draft pick is probably just a throwaway 2nd rounder but Ellington was an important part of their rotation. He's one of the few guys on their roster that spreads the floor with the threat of 3 point range. Speights was their first big man off the bench. Leuer has flashed some talent. They must've been very high on him but this is trading away current solid players on a competitive team for potential. I gotta believe this is partially in preparation of losing Gay.

Why would they need to prepare to lose Gay after this trade? They have no incentive to trade Gay anymore since now they're comfortably under the luxury tax.

I do agree they gave up a lot though; I've heard Selby is a monster, and Speights and Ellington were key parts of their rotation. They do have Arthur and Bayless, who are potentially in for minutes and are just as serviceable in my opinion. I do hear they're interested in Delonte West, Bill Walker, and Sasha Vujajic to shore up their depth, too.

Exactly. This move was made solely so they can keep their "core" in Gay and Zbo.

Why would they need to prepare to lose Gay after this trade? They have no incentive to trade Gay anymore since now they're comfortably under the luxury tax.

I do agree they gave up a lot though; I've heard Selby is a monster, and Speights and Ellington were key parts of their rotation. They do have Arthur and Bayless, who are potentially in for minutes and are just as serviceable in my opinion. I do hear they're interested in Delonte West, Bill Walker, and Sasha Vujajic to shore up their depth, too.

You've misunderstood. I'm not saying they need to lose Gay after this trade; most definitely not. In fact I'm saying they should not have done this trade and that they should keep Gay and make a run for the title.

It was a straight up salary dump, especially to get under the Luxury Tax this year. The Grizz ambition to avoid the Luxury tax has been well documented in their attempts to move Gay. They were going to be over by 4 million this year, which would not have been that bad. However, under the new CBA, the Luxury Tax penalties are now very severe and increase crazy if you are a consecutive year violator. This move, while all 3 players had relatively low salaries (Speights: 4.2 mil this year, 4.5 mil next, Ellingtion: 2 Mil this year, 3.1 mil qualifying next, Sebly: less than 1 mil for two years, then 1.1 mil) was specifically done for salary cap implications. Selby was probably thrown in as the "attractive piece with upside" to sweeten the deal to convince the Cavs to take the salaries in exchange for just Leuer's 770K this year and 1.1 mil next year.

Basically, as I said, the Grizz will avoid the Luxury Tax this year, and now don't necessarily have to worry about moving Gay next year, even though they will likely have issues with the Luxury Tax again (with Tony Allen seeking a contract in the off season), but the key is they will be a 1st time violator if they do go over the LT after next season, which even for a small market team won't be too bad, but they absolutely want to avoid consecutive years going over the Luxury Tax. The Grizz just bought two more years (this year included as one) to contend for a NBA Title with the current roster.

3 people like this