Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SundayKindofLove

Derrick Rose 2012-2013 Season Outlook

741 posts in this topic

May be jumping the gun, but some sources believe Rose could be back to practice in a few weeks:

http://www.suntimes....-returning.html

It now looks like it was no coincidence that Adidas showed the final episode of Derrick Rose’s ‘‘The Return’’ ad campaign last week.

According to an NBA source, while ‘‘The Return’’ to the court for NBA games is still up in the air for Rose, the all-everything point guard could be just weeks away from practicing with the Bulls again after surgery on his left anterior cruciate ligament last May.

‘‘That’s the belief that a couple of [the Bulls’] players are under,’’ the source said.

Lest we forget, here were Rose's stats from the last two seasons:

2012: 21.8 pts/1.4 3's/3.4 reb/7.9 ast/0.9 stls

2011: 25 points/1.6 3's/4 Reb/7.7 Ast/ 1.0 Stl

Fascinating. Though--the timeframe still is probably in the February range--can't be careful enough with ACL injuries. What are your guys' thoughts on stashing / timing?

Fascinating. Though--the timeframe still is probably in the February range--can't be careful enough with ACL injuries. What are your guys' thoughts on stashing / timing?

I wouldn't make a move yet unless I had a big lead. I just thought this was a particularly interesting piece of information considering the source (Chicago Sun Times) and their source (Bulls' players). It may just be hopeless optimism on the Bulls' part - I don't think the average team should look into picking him up yet though but definitely be aware that he may come back in time.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/7274

Check this opinion as well

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we knew that already. Rose has been cutting, running and shooting for a while. When the surgery was complete, Dr. Brian Cole mentioned that the toughest part would be regaining confidence in the surgically repaired left knee.

It’s been written here repeatedly that the all-star break (Feb. 16-17) is a reasonable estimate for Rose’s return. Late January would be a best-case scenario, early March a cautious scenario. In all three outcomes, Rose is “weeks away” from returning to practice.

Rose tore the ACL in his left knee on April 28. Using Vikings RB Adrian Peterson’s nine-month return as a comparison, it’s conceivable Rose could be back playing in an NBA game by the end of January.

At the same time, he surely has more hurdles to cross and it’s probably accurate to say the Bulls have no date in mind yet for a return.

But running sprints at the Berto Center is certainly better than not running at all.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/7274

Check this opinion as well

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we knew that already. Rose has been cutting, running and shooting for a while. When the surgery was complete, Dr. Brian Cole mentioned that the toughest part would be regaining confidence in the surgically repaired left knee.

It’s been written here repeatedly that the all-star break (Feb. 16-17) is a reasonable estimate for Rose’s return. Late January would be a best-case scenario, early March a cautious scenario. In all three outcomes, Rose is “weeks away” from returning to practice.

Rose tore the ACL in his left knee on April 28. Using Vikings RB Adrian Peterson’s nine-month return as a comparison, it’s conceivable Rose could be back playing in an NBA game by the end of January.

At the same time, he surely has more hurdles to cross and it’s probably accurate to say the Bulls have no date in mind yet for a return.

But running sprints at the Berto Center is certainly better than not running at all.

Nice. But I don't know if A-Pete is the proper time frame. Jumping puts quite a bit more stress on the knee than running. Still, nice find.

Generally the rule of thumb is you want the guy to be in contact drills to stash, but if you can time it to just before that that would probably be the best time.

Of course it all goes back to how big your lead is and how deep and competitive your league is.

I agree--however, I wouldn't discount the insanity that is AP. Running, while not as stressing as jumping, is pretty damn intense at the NFL level, with tons of physical contact from tackles--AP returning in 9 months is ridiculous turnaround and Rose will likely need more time (and the organization will probably take a cautious approach. That puts him around a February-March timeframe still

The main difference with AP and Rose is AP got 100% of his rehab done in the offseason. Whereas Rose when he is finally 100% he won't exactly be in game condition.

Plus let's keep in mind that what AP did is unheard of and ground breaking to expect Rose to keep pace with that is extremely optimistic and almost ignorant. No way The Bulls rush him back after what had happened last season.

If you have an IR spot then someone should definitely be holding on to him in almost any league, especially keeper leagues. I picture him being a monster in the gym and really wanting to get back from this better than ever so the all star break sounds realistic, anything before that would be gravy.

im glad that i drafted well enough to pick him up around 3 weeks ago when someone dropped him....

btw...he is available in none of the 5 leagues that i'm in....all competitive....

btw...he is available in none of the 5 leagues that i'm in....all competitive....

Do those leagues hold an IR spot? I'm in a 14 team league with no IR spot... Want to stash but I'm worried it might hurt me too much in the long run for my Playoff chances.

Do those leagues hold an IR spot? I'm in a 14 team league with no IR spot... Want to stash but I'm worried it might hurt me too much.

no ir...people are just banking on their other players until he returns....having a guy like d.rose in the playoffs is golden imho...

you should be able to hold on in a 14 team league....i stashed him in my 12 teamer

You may not be as free to play the 'hot waiver add of the week game' as much as others might be able to but if you have a solid core group of players then stashing Rose will pay off IMO

Do those leagues hold an IR spot? I'm in a 14 team league with no IR spot... Want to stash but I'm worried it might hurt me too much.

no ir...people are just banking on their other players until he returns....having a guy like d.rose in the playoffs is golden imho...

you should be able to hold on in a 14 team league....i stashed him in my 12 teamer

Hmm alright man I'll really consider it. Everything else I have read has told me to wait much closer until the date of his return. I take it Rose's value is far above Granger?

EDIT: I basically already have a stash. The Ilyasova effect :(

Here is an interesting question on both an ethical/pragmatic level: should athletes recovering from "serious" injury be allowed to use banned substances like steroids/HGH? (Assuming it assists the recovery process, and assuming the definition of serious is medically defined)

Here is an interesting question on both an ethical/pragmatic level: should athletes recovering from "serious" injury be allowed to use banned substances like steroids/HGH? (Assuming it assists the recovery process, and assuming the definition of serious is medically defined)

Andy Pettite supports your idea

This is an Off Topic type discussion. This could be a interesting discussion, but let's do it in the Off-Topic section rather than clutter up the Derrick Rose Thread.

This is an Off Topic type discussion. This could be a interesting discussion, but let's do it in the Off-Topic section rather than clutter up the Derrick Rose Thread.

Someone start the 'Performance Enhancing Ethics' thread.
1 person likes this

Damn... now I wish I picked him up earlier in the seasons when I had a chance. My gut tells me he comes back in a month... the news of him cutting, and now about to be practicing means he's closer than initially expected.